Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Not Starting

Luke Fletcher

Afternoon,

i have a 2008 focus (i believe its the 2.5, facelift version for the mk2 i think) its a 2.0L TDCI 136 and i am having probelms with it starting first time. the only way i can put it is if you have ever had a dead battery and it just ticks trying to start, thats whats it like. but the battery is far from dead lol. however, if i turn the key so all the lights are off and then go to start it again it is alright.

the radio then seems to go funny and the auto wipers and lights seem to play up. but htis is not all the time

any ideas guys??

luke

I'm sure I've read about this before, but can't for the life of me remember what the cause was,,, I'm sure someone on here will point you in the right direction when they see it. A lot of posts point to the battery needing to be a silver calcium one, but yours probably is, as they done really sell many lead based ones anymore. But the battery could have a faulty cell, a free test at the likes of kwik fit would tell you this though.

funny you say that, sometimes my focus 1.6tdci wont start as well. sometimes ill turn the ignition all the way on, everything will light up but the engine dont start. ifi turn the key key off and on again it will start, sometimes also if i hold it on the on position the engine will start after say 3 or 4 seconds. i just thought this was somthing to do with the glowplugs.

Markw96,

When I took it to ford to look they said the glow pugs are fine, and it's not them. How long has yours been doing it?

Luke

its been doing it for ages now, i thought it was normal, it wasnt until you mentioned about the stereo etc playing up also. its not the battery i know that much because i had a new one fitted about a month ago, still stumped

Its not glow plugs either,, as they would'nt cause the car to not turn over....hmm

Are you waiting for the immobiliser light to go out before you try starting the car?

Turn the key to II and wait a couple of seconds before starting then see how you get on.

if its ticking, try getting someone to tap the starter with a long stick while you have the key pressed on the crank position, thats what i did and it started up just fine. then replaced the starter soon after

Are you waiting for the immobiliser light to go out before you try starting the car?

Turn the key to II and wait a couple of seconds before starting then see how you get on.

Well i tried this as you suggested first thing this morning and it started no problem and my stereo worked!!

I left work earlier on and forgot to do the pause, the car started ok but my stereo started to play up again!!

The problem im having with my stereo (travelpiolet fx i think) is sometimes it will work and other times it willl not.

When its not working correctly, i can turn the stereo on and off, sound works, but i can not change the volume, or change function, yet the voice control button speaks when pressing the button on the steering wheel column.

Very strange problem, i thought maybe the stereo was just knackered!