Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How to change the pollen filter

moworm

Having read some other threads, I suspect that the pollen filter on my MkI Focus might need changing. The blowers don't seem quite as powerful as I think they should.

Where abouts is the filter located and how do you get at it to change the element on a MkI

Many thanks

Its located under the scuttle panel on the passenger side of the car. Prise out the cover on the scuttle panel near the wiper, remove the screw. Open the bonnet and gently prise the clips out and lift the scuttle panel out. The pollen filter is underneath. Pull a couple of obvious clips to the side and lift the old filter out. Replace with a new one. Now remove the old seal from the back of the scuttle panel and replace with a new one. Clip the scuttle panel back into place. Replace screw and black cover.

Now some Mk1's had very poor scuttle panels which when the pollen filter is changed they leak like a sieve and water gets inside the car. A revised scuttle panel is available to cure this though I found sealing the scuttle panel to the windscreen with silicone sealant works too.

• 4 months later...

Hello , sorry to bring you back to this pollen filter thread, But, when my Focus had its recent service, (Its a 2000, 1600 saloon) the pollen filter was changed, and next time it rained, rainwater came inside the car, so I thought I'd try and sort it, off came the cover, and i found the seal to be knackered, but there was no other cover, (reading a back thread,) somebody said there was a cover over the actual filter element held down with clips, mine doesn't, it just sits there, and its a weird shape, down to getting water on it I suspect, So, can anyone please tell me, is there a cover that goes over the actual filter, other than the plastic scuttle panel cover thingy, and should there be a foam surround atop the filter, your advice would be soooooooo welcome, thanks in anticipation, Baz

Couple of months ago, i started getting puddles of water in my footwell everytime it rained hard, that was due to a pollen filter being replaced at some point before i owned the car & the filter not being re sealed properly. I tried to replace the filter, but to get to it i had to literally rip off the scuttle panel, which was stupid.

In the end i just ended up taking it to the ford dealer, as i was going away on holiday two days after & didnt want to come back to a swimming pool

Cost me £70 !!

Couple of months ago, i started getting puddles of water in my footwell everytime it rained hard, that was due to a pollen filter being replaced at some point before i owned the car & the filter not being re sealed properly. I tried to replace the filter, but to get to it i had to literally rip off the scuttle panel, which was stupid.

In the end i just ended up taking it to the ford dealer, as i was going away on holiday two days after & didnt want to come back to a swimming pool

Cost me £70 !!

Cost me £70 !!

Hi, I wonder it you can help me ? when you took the pollen filter cover off ( i.e. scuttle panel ) is there another cover that actually sits on or over the filter, there seems to be something missing on mine, because there's nothing holding the filter in situ, any advice would be welcome, Regards Baz

Hi, I wonder it you can help me ? when you took the pollen filter cover off ( i.e. scuttle panel ) is there another cover that actually sits on or over the filter, there seems to be something missing on mine, because there's nothing holding the filter in situ, any advice would be welcome, Regards Baz

When i ripped my panel off, i could see no other panel covering the pollen filter, it literally sits straight underneath, maybe thats why they are so prone to leaking.

Hope this helps mate