Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta Ecoboost Mpg

stuartr26

Fiesta Ecoboost MPG  

283 members have voted

1. 1. What is your average MPG with the ecoboost engine? (Be Honest!!)

On a few city runs (I reset it again today) my average is about 7.1l per 100km or 39mpg. On more open road runs this goes down to an average of about 5-5.5l per 100km which is about 51mpg. I can get a lot better than this if I am kind and gentle and don't overtake too much but lets face it sometimes we need a little kick when driving...

Given I live in a city with pretty awful congestion I am reasonably happy with that city cycle, although the the open road I'd prefer it to be a bit closer to the claimed amount under reasonable driving conditions.

Yup, two weeks in, and I'm starting to see similar figures - it takes a bit of getting used to, and is quite a unique vehicle in my experience. I'm really enjoying it now. The consumption for performance is really quite astonishing when you hit out of town onto the long motorway. The odd bit of caning it for a smile mixed in with careful driving (and not even nursing, mind you) really does deliver some pleasing figures. Unbelievable how well this little thing cruises on the open road, and quietly! It really feels like a lot larger vehicle, without the inertia. Handling and drive comfort are really helping me get over some of the the slightly plasticky interior components. Oh and that dash that I thought I wouold just have to tolerate… I'm finding it functionally really easy to operate.

I'm really warming to my 1.0 94kw EcoBoost.

The consumption for performance is amazing, although, best on the open road, and a bit of getting the hang of driving it the right way.

I still say the manufacturer's claims are outrageous.

How they can be allowed to get away with such !Removed! is astounding.

This applies to many other models, mind.

Latest run I've clocked in 39.7 MPG, it's not brilliant but I mainly drive in stop/start rush hour traffic or heavy dual carriageway traffic, neither of which lend themselves to particularly good economy. Added to the cold mornings, I'm pretty happy with it as the performance is great.

post-54954-14181575303_thumb.jpg

And I got there with 3 miles to 0!

• Like 1

Currently getting 39 MPG, lots of short runs mainly so not too bad.

Getting away with it? HallZen, getting away with what? And what's outrageous about the 1 litre ecoboost Fiesta getting 65mpg? It's an industry wide standard test that all vehicles are subjected to. Nobody's saying you'll get anywhere near it on the open road, but if your very own car went through the same test it'd probably be within 4% of Ford's figure.

• Like 1

I'm really warming to my 1.0 94kw EcoBoost.

The consumption for performance is amazing, although, best on the open road, and a bit of getting the hang of driving it the right way.

I still say the manufacturer's claims are outrageous.

How they can be allowed to get away with such !Removed! is astounding.

This applies to many other models, mind.

Yes, but rolling road tests are the only way to objectively test the mpg of one vehicle against another. Unfortunately this removes the biggest factor the affects fuel consumption - drag caused by wind resistance. Because of this it is more a test of ENGINE/TRANSMISSION efficiency rather than overall CAR mpg as different cars have different drag factors. However I do see more and more caveats appearing in manufacturers mpg data now due to complaints probably. All that said if the mpg is just used for comparisons between vehicles it is still useful as it will indicate which vehicle will likely have the best mpg based on actual road use. We know from people posting here that good mpg figures are possible and I am very happy with the dash indicated 45 mpg I have averaged in 21 months of driving my Ecoboost Fiesta.

Getting away with it? HallZen, getting away with what? And what's outrageous about the 1 litre ecoboost Fiesta getting 65mpg? It's an industry wide standard test that all vehicles are subjected to. Nobody's saying you'll get anywhere near it on the open road, but if your very own car went through the same test it'd probably be within 4% of Ford's figure.

Well, one could argue they are getting away with miss-selling a car if you are buying it based on those figures. I have no doubt Ford knows the average to the man out in the street is around 45MPG, of course they aren't going to say anything if all the other manufactures are in the same boat. I know from a friend the Peugeot Puretech engines are giving really disappointing MPG in 208s and 308s comparable to our EcoBoost experiances.
However, the salesmen must know this too. The car I test drove had 37MPG indicated when I checked, but this was dismissed by the salesman who said it was just because it wasn't run it and I would be getting 60MPG. I doubt I ever will. So to me that's miss-selling and they are getting away with it.
I think I have asked the question before here but never got an answer. What has changed, is it the EU test or are these new small turbo engines by design really out of sync with official results?
Have a look at my last 3 cars I have owned and am doing the same commute since 1993 so it should be a fair comparism
2006 Ford Focus ST - Official 30MPG, we got 22MPG
2008 Jeep Patriot CRD - Official 42MPG, we got 34MPG
2007 FIAT Panda 100HP - Official 42.2MPG, we got 37MPG
Based on this we should be between 5 to 8MPG less than official figures, but we are getting over 30MPG less than official figures. I think that's why people are so annoyed, the difference is huge.
Also I'm surprised none has ever mentioned the 76.4MPG out of town figure, where the !Removed! did that come from. That's impossible.
Jonathan

Also I'm surprised none has ever mentioned the 76.4MPG out of town figure, where the !Removed! did that come from. That's impossible.
Jonathan

It is possible during a simulated drive on a rolling road. The mpg figures are useless as an absolute measure, but they are useful when comparing vehicles.

I looked again at the user manual last night and there are some rather fantastical numbers in terms of fuel efficiency being presented, as one of my colleagues (and long time Ford owner said) always add atleast 1l per 100km to get nearer to the real number and he is broadly speaking right - although still optimistic. As others have said here the tests conducted by all manufacturers are more or less meaningless unless they are used for comparing brands and not the actual degree of efficiency.

All that said I was reasonably pleased with a recent trip to Switzerland and back which was 800km return and although mainly on motorways did feature a rather long stint on slow moving local French roads and significant congestion at a few stages. Overall this averaged 5.6l/100KM (approx 50mpg) with the trip there being 6.2 and 5.1 on the way back. This meant used little more than one tank of fuel so less than €60 for the whole trip. Which is pretty good. I did however notice that winter tyres have had a rather negative effect with road noise, handing and (a gut feeling only) fuel economy all deteriorating. As the tyres bedded in though either I became more used to it or the noise levels dropped.

Speed wise the maximum on the motorways from the various countries I was on varied from 110-130kmh.

According to the app my MPG is way up. I don't think I quite filled the tank though (despite it clicking) so it's probably a bit higher than the actual figure. Still good though! My trip was reading 65 miles to 0 still.

post-54954-141919650947_thumb.jpg

Can anyone comment on the techniques you're applying in particular with the ecoboost? I guess you're trying to just keep it off-boost wherever possible yeah? So like <1700rpm?

Can anyone comment on the techniques you're applying in particular with the ecoboost? I guess you're trying to just keep it off-boost wherever possible yeah? So like <1700rpm?

Haha no, quite the opposite! I never change up below 25000rpm so I'm always dropping back into the turbo range in the next gear. I'm no expert but I guess doing that means I'm never laboring the engine to accelerate too early (below the turbo range in any gear) and (as above) that's apparently good for economy!

When I'm just cruising I always move up a gear though, I do steady 30 in 4th and occasionally 40 in 5th. Then if I need to accelerate shift back down again and go for it :P

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Done nearly 3k in mine now and I've never seen above 44mpg.

• 2 months later...

Got my car on friday. A 2014 focus zetec 125 ps. 5200 miles on the clock and when i collected the car the trip computer showed a dreadful 29 mpg.

So this is what i did. As usual the dealer left bare minimum petrol in the tank. Trip showed 40 miles left in the tank. Took car to petrol station and put in 4 gallons of fuel ie 18.1 litres. Reset the mpg part of the trip computer to zero.

I have climbed steadily and with 75 miles done i am now showing 48.5 mpg, mainly A roads but very few stops and starts.

When the trip computer shows 40 miles of petrol left in the tank i will divide the total miles covered by 4 to get my real mpg and compare it with the trip computer mpg reading.

Be back in 2 days.

• Like 1

When the trip computer shows 40 miles of petrol left in the tank i will divide the total miles covered by 4 to get my real mpg and compare it with the trip computer mpg reading.

Unfortunately it doesn't really work like that (I think), because the trip computer takes other things into account to work out the remaining miles, not just the amount of fuel in the tank. The best way to get an accurate mpg number is to fill up the tank to the first click, reset the trip computer and then do the same next time you fill up. The problem is some fuel fillers click before the tank is full so even this isn't fool proof.

Unfortunately it doesn't really work like that (I think),

Absolutely correct, it works by multiplying what's left in the tank by the current average consumption.

@mitu, Phil's method is the most accurate however you can get a reasonable estimate via your method, you just need to do a bit more maths. When you got the car, with an average of 29 and 40 miles DTE it would have therefore had 40/29 =~ 1.38 gallons in tank. You need to work out from your currently shown average and DTE when you have that amount left. At that point you can divide your total miles by 4 as you suggested.

The last twice that I have checked my consumption by filling the tank and resetting the trip. 42mpg but the computer was saying 48mpg. 1.0 100 ecoboost

The last twice that I have checked my consumption by filling the tank and resetting the trip. 42mpg but the computer was saying 48mpg. 1.0 100 ecoboost

Yeah that's similar to mine except higher mpg obviously. My trip computer over reads by about 10% most of the time.

Don't care what the average is really as long as I can afford to fill it when it's nearly empty. I didn't buy mine for the economy

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

The 3pot turbo soundtrack is so addictive.... Drive it and enjoy....

I do and I still see 44.1 on the computer which may well be 40 mpg in reality but it FUN!

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC mobile app

Don't care what the average is really as long as I can afford to fill it when it's nearly empty. I didn't buy mine for the economy

Yeah I kind of agree, I bought the car assuming I'll never get close to the mpg of my old 1.6. But I've been pleasantly surprised averaging 36, just a couple less than the old car.

I'm only getting ~36 with a 1.0 125 (increasing tho) and that's with V-power. I need to make ~41 to break even on price.

But, I DO like that turbo ;)

I'm only getting ~36 with a 1.0 125 (increasing tho) and that's with V-power. I need to make ~41 to break even on price.

But, I DO like that turbo ;)

Everyone loves the turbo :P I'm averaging 42 even with MP135 so it'll get there! I've done just over 6k miles now.

Here is my 6 month chart attached, I'm averaging 34.4, not amused.

post-60014-0-77369800-1430987218_thumb.j

• Like 1

That does seem to suck. My average including city driving is currently about 45mpg, that also includes two larger trips to Germany. The Fiesta does seem to be very sensitive to mild speed changes above a certain level (about 112kmh).