Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk1 Focus Hatchback Or 04~ Impreza ?

Nephalem

Hey guys ! New here... Hopefully if this thread goes well I'm here to stay :)

my Volvo S40 broke down and I'm looking for a reliable car, without a turbo, automatic transmission, and cheap repairs.
I like how with the FOCUS you can buy replacement parts at the supermarket ! Parts are all over the place, aftermarket and OEM. And pretty cheap.
Impreza is just much nicer inside... But from what I remember that boxer engine with the 1.6 105hp is an epic fail ?

My question is.... What are very known faults to the Focus Hatchback MK1 ? (02-04 is what im aiming at) ? Would you take one over the Impreza.
Back in the Volvo club forum evey second S40 owner had a faulty heater panel and VVT valve....Was wondering if there's any repeated faults going on with the MK1 Focus.

Thanks !

Mk1 doesnt have a vvt so no worries there apart from the poorly designed pollen filter that leaks into the passenger footwell and leaky rear lights there arent that many faults engines are decent if unrefined 1.6 or 1.8 are the ones to choose i wouldnt take an auto in anything never seen a reliable automatic gearbox yet and the mrs old mans had a few the Impreza is a pile of crap worked on way too many and they are terrible for head gaskets parts are expensive its not a nice car to drive either so if it was me i would avoid that like it has clamidia just check for rust on the foci all electrics work and it handles well

No VVT and no TURBO.... EXCELLENT !!! I have spent thousands of pounds fiddling with these silly inventions that don't serve any purpose other than aftermarket income to the manufacturer.

Thanks ! Anyone else ?

Also I was wondering, what size are the front and rear Speakers on the hatchback focus ml1 ?

I hope mu expensive sound system fits.

i would take a mk1 focus over a subaru, purely because i dont like them..

But i did have a mk1 1.6 focus for a few years, great car - few niggly things over that time but nothing outrageous.

the rear bushes are a pig to do on the focus, every mk of them so far have been actually!

I think the Speakers in the mk1 are an oval shape? could be wrong though

I have the ti vct and yes the valve was changed but its a wear item so expected really the power difference ovet a non ti vct is pretty obvious my mates tdci and i are equally matched on acceleration and since ive got more revs to play with i can get ahead hence why more and more manufacturers are using there versions of vvt from toyota to honda even the ford mustang has it more power lower in the rev range actually i get max torque at 2200rpm a non vvt needs 6500rpm or more to achieve this great for overtaking i believe the volvo version was taken from gm and are well known to have faulty valves most issues arise from inoroper timing set up from the dealers or home mechanics or non dealer garages changing the belts and not doing the timing right

They were round with oval adaptors if i remember fitting Speakers was a pig of a job i think the adaptor and speaker are one piece but you could buy adaptors to fit ide say most important is make sure it idles right with no vibrating or misfiring

They were round with oval adaptors if i remember fitting speakers was a pig of a job i think the adaptor and speaker are one piece but you could buy adaptors to fit ide say most important is make sure it idles right with no vibrating or misfiring

I knew there was something oval :lol:

No youre right oval 6x8 on the fronts when i was going to change them i thought it would be a straight swap i took the panel off looked in disgust and stuck the panel back on cursing the ford engineers for hours lol the new ones have got to have adaptor spacers or be slim fitting

OK, I found nice hatcbacks with 70K miles.

If the shop indicates they are in good working order and serviced, can I expect 150K lifespan on them ? Nothing is sure with cars, but is 150K realistic ?

If its well serviced like any car they can do these miles more so the diesel but if you look at autotrader there are petrols from 100k upwards the main wear issue is as stef said the rear suspension the trailing arm bushes so if possible have a nose underneath the sills are solid with the covers on and even though ford say 100k or ten years its essential a timing belt kit has been fitted if not budget £300 to have that done asap thats very important it must be a kit belt and tensioner not just a belt

Aha thanks. And I almost forgot to ask, any reason why NoT to get an Mk2 hatch ? whats more reliable ?

Ide say the mk2 is just as reliable its the same car just new engines and Shell the chassis is the same the mk2 has less flex in it

Roger that !

So what is the last year of the MK1 classic type with the light frame ? 04 or 05 ?

2004 was the last of the old shape facelifted mk1 the 1.5

OK guys, I found a really really clean 03 Focus Hatchback that looks and feels flawless.

There not a scratch on the paint and it was looked after at Fords.

BUT, it has done 105k miles.

The car is the cleanest i have seen though.

should that deter me in any way ? I would love to pick it up in the morning, thought id ask before if at that milage the ford engine is supposed to die.

Thanks !

OK guys, I found a really really clean 03 Focus Hatchback that looks and feels flawless.

There not a scratch on the paint and it was looked after at Fords.

BUT, it has done 105k miles.

The car is the cleanest i have seen though.

should that deter me in any way ? I would love to pick it up in the morning, thought id ask before if at that milage the ford engine is supposed to die.

Thanks !

Is it petrol or diesel? what is the engine capacity (CCs) or the trim level?

In general, i would not be overly concerned about the milage, years ago 100,000 would be an engine car "worn out", nowadays, if a car/ engine is well looked after, it could do 3 times that or more, some buyers prefer to buy 100,000 cars (rather than 50k ones) because they probably would have had the DMF/ injectors/ belts etc already replaced and they are cheaper to buy

Sounds like you like it - go with your "gut" sometimes, if it "feels" right, it is right, if you know what i mean, see if you can knock a bit off the cost due to the mileage

See if you can knock a bit off the cost due to the mileage

Also, check to see if it's had the cambelt replaced, as has already been said. If not, try and get more off.

Thanks for the quick replies ! I'm going to like this place :)

It's a 1.6 Petrol, GHIA trim Automatic (hate clutches and yes my testosterone levels are normal).

Cambelt was just done at ford. It's also serviced and MOTed.

Price is peanuts.

Sounds good ?

By the way, is there a dipstick to check the ATF ? What should it look/smell like to see it's good to go ? Cherry smell and red color like my other cars ?

edit: another small issue:

I have 5.25 Pair of Speakers from my old car.. Can I fit them on the front of the focus with these ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-Mk1-98-04-speaker-adaptors-5-25-13cm-SAK-1514-/170717723751?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item27bf91bc67

And, on the rears, and pre-made 5x7" will fit directly ? Such as these ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALPINE-200W-2WAY-5-x7-5x7-SXE-CAR-DOOR-SHELF-SPEAKERS-/190641520235?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item2c631ebe6b

Or, are the OEM ones better than those Alpines ?

Car purchased :) Very happy ! Ended up buying one with 70k miles though :)

It needs oil, front end tracking and filters though.

Can I use any branded quality 10/40 oil for it and replace every 8-10k ? Or must it be that Motorcraft brand.

Where I live - Summer is 30-40 Celcius and Winter 10-17.

It's a 1.6 ZETEC focus...

Thanks !

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club