Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Abs And Handbrake Lights On A Non Abs Focus

carpcrew

hi all, im driving a 99 focus 1.6 and very happy to but its developed a problem i cant fix lol, its a non abs model but abs and handbrake wont go out when started, checked fluid level, fitted new pads and shoes but that didnt help, bypassed handbrake switch, tried to see if power was going to resovior but that must be earth powered as no positive power going to plug, im stuck, any ideas please, mot nearly up lol, cheers.

Welcome to the Forum!

Sounds like its identifying another brake issue. Check the pads are sufficient,

as sometimes when it gets too low some cars can pick this up as an error... also check that there are no seized pads...

hi thanks for the welcome, ive fitted new pads/shoes and checked pistons are working freely, i went to ford dealer and asked but was told it could be in need of new cluster but would need them to configure it when ive fitted second hand one. cheers

could be that there was a sensor present that may have been knocked loose when you were replacing the pads?

If you slam the brakes on, does the light stick on or go off?

its a non abs focus so no sensors, cheers. :mellow:

not necessarily referring to the ABS sensors... I think there is another sensor (if I am not mistaken) to detect when the brake pads get too low... so to warn you before you start braking with metal on a disk, rather than a brake pad?

hi checked again but no other sensors ( no wires going to hub or caliper ) and no wires from engine side, if i take abs bulb out then theres no reason to fail it on that ( mot ) as car is non abs but i dont know about handbrake bulb ? cheers.

dont take the handbrake bulb out, the car is trying to tell you something, and somewhere a sensor is throwing up this error. It might be a corroded wire, or a wet wire.

Is it disk brakes all round, or shoes on the back?

hi its disk on front and shoes on back, the only sensor i can think of on non abs car is fluid reservoir, sensor on lid to tell you when fluid low, i tested the plug but no volts present when ign on ( three wires ) :(

could well be thats the culprit I suppose... Can you trace those wires back to check for breakage?

they go into main loom under battery, any where i can download the wiring diagrams to see if they have live feed or earth feed ? cheers for help :)

what colour are the wires at the sensor?

red/black + blue/black + yellow/black cheers

red/black + blue/black + yellow/black cheers

the yellow/black is probably your 12v feed from the fuse box, looking at a wiring diagram i have here for a mk2 focus but then the rest is completely different to yours

but i would suggest that the blue/black is earth and the red/black goes to the cluster

I cant be certain though, but i will check and see what other diagrams i have here..

hi i checked each wire but no voltage , if it goes to fuse ( which one lol) everything else works in car and i cant see it having a indepentant fuse, at least ive got something to work on, cheers :)

hi i checked each wire but no voltage , if it goes to fuse ( which one lol) everything else works in car and i cant see it having a indepentant fuse, at least ive got something to work on, cheers :)

scrap what i said above :lol:

black/blue is indeed earth

black/red goes through the handbrake switch to earth

black yellow is to the instrument cluster

so really, there isnt any 12v as such, as the wire to the cluster is just earthing... so maybe you have a short somewhere

hope this helps mate

thanks mate, so all three wires are earthed, so i wonder how it works then, i will try and take cluster out and check pcb, spray it with contact cleaner and refit, never simple is it lol

thanks mate, so all three wires are earthed, so i wonder how it works then, i will try and take cluster out and check pcb, spray it with contact cleaner and refit, never simple is it lol

thats certainly what it looks like mate.

the wire from the cluster is basically looking to earth through the handbrake switch or the brake fluid switch..

no problem cheers, read up on focus cluster problems and it seems a common thing, erratic , if i fail on this unit would i be able to just fit a good second hand one, bloke at ford dealer said something about having to have it set up by them ( reprogrammed ), cheers :unsure:

no problem cheers, read up on focus cluster problems and it seems a common thing, erratic , if i fail on this unit would i be able to just fit a good second hand one, bloke at ford dealer said something about having to have it set up by them ( reprogrammed ), cheers :unsure:

im not sure if it would just 'plug and play' so to speak or if it does need programming but the mileage will be incorrect if it does.

im sure someone on here will have the answer to your question though

cheers, cant see anything that needs programming expect milage but i can live with that, hopefully someone will tell me if its plug and play, thanks again for help :)