Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rust starting door bottoms, Ford warranty?

whizzer

Hi,

After reading some posts on here had a look at my own doors and have found small patches of bubbly paint along the bottom door seal (not the rubber seal, but the bit at the bottom of the door - looks like sealant)

Its not serious yet but I want to stop this dead now. Has anyone got any suggestions or had any responses from Ford regarding warranty work (no paint inspections in service book but FSH) I thought about grinding it off carefully and painting with hammerite along the edge and then waxoyl over.

Its a 55 mk 2 1.6

Cheers

Just an update - took it to Ford dealer today and they are going to try and get it all done under warranty. They said they couldnt see a problem getting it done as its a known issue and I'd caught it very early on. Poor manufacture and painting causing water to get under the sealant and start corroding is what they said.

Will let you know how I get on - he did say though that the longer its left the less chance of Ford covering the repair so I would say check your own carefully and get it sorted asap.

Ive never known a car like this for known problems only just sorted the flooded spark plugs by fitting the modified washer jets. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

Got car back from Ford now and repair looks good as new, also looks like they have put wax inside doors which can only be good.

Shame they didn't make it properly in the first place!

I will just say this is the first story I've heard where Ford have honoured the paint warranty. Well done mate.

I will just say this is the first story I've heard where Ford have honoured the paint warranty. Well done mate.

Same here mate, I approached mine regarding the rust on the door sills and boot lip, they didnt want to know... especially when they realised I had no service history with the car :rolleyes:

I guess i must have been lucky or got a good bodyshop, he did take photos and said he'd push it as hard as possible to be done under warranty as obviously they get paid for the work by Ford, I did mention too that i was aware that this was a known problem on Fords and that I didnt want to pay for their shoddy workmanship. I must admit the garage were very good.

It wasnt too bad either just bubbly paint really and when i ground a bit off there was no rust underneath just loose topcoat paint. He did say that some people went in there with big holes and severe rust and thats when Ford didnt want to know as it meant fitting new doors etc and in those cases they asked for a percentage of the repair.

They should build them properly in the first place then they wouldn't get warranty claims.

They should build them properly in the first place then they wouldn't get warranty claims.

Only if :rolleyes:

I found rust on mine a few years ago, Ford practically told me to feck off. :(

That's the thanks you get for five of the seven cars you've ever owned being Fords.

Washed and waxed the car today and noticed rust appearing in a couple more places - rear offside wheel arch, bottom of rear offside door, edge of front offside door... might fix up what I can in the summer but with nearly 135k on the clock, I'll probably have another motor within 12 months. Won't be a stinkin' Ford tho.

mine is doing the same but is out of warranty, will prob have to attempt to fix myself <_<

Mines an 05 too its meant to have a 12 year paint warranty. Mine did have FSH (only done 13000 miles) but no paint inspection stamps, they know its a manufacturing problem so rather than trying to repair it, take it back to Ford. Its their fault its going rusty!

Mines an 05 too its meant to have a 12 year paint warranty. Mine did have FSH (only done 13000 miles) but no paint inspection stamps, they know its a manufacturing problem so rather than trying to repair it, take it back to Ford. Its their fault its going rusty!

He's right, paints covered for 12 years in theory. They will not honour it for high mileage though and they will test the paint thickness to see if its been possibly worked on elsewhere. Basically if they can get out of honouring it they will, but its worth a try. Take the knowledge gained here, that its a known issue and theres a 12 year warranty and you should get at least a goodwill payment towards the work.

Any suggestions on good mud flaps for back of arch on front and back wheels? Reasonable price :ph34r: