Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Got An Error On Your Car?

jeebowhite

Nice post Jeebo ;)

Will this bad boy work on my Fusion....?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/EiioX-MaxiScan-Diagnostic-Scanner-Reader/dp/B0098WCDIS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1362854257&sr=8-3

Also on some cars there is a way of reading codes without a reader and just using a paperclip ;) works on my Omega. here's a vid showing it working on a Honda (I think) ;)

only down side is that it will read all codes that have been stored for a while (i think) so if there are multiple codes you could have a hard job judging what's relevent. but handy if youre in a pinch :)

Guess who just remembered and found an OBD11 cable he had bought when his VW Sharan had an engine fault?

As a matter of interest what laptop software would you recommend? There seems to be a fair amount of choice out there.

Anyone know of any of these compatible with the mk6 facelift fiesta?

Be interesting to see if anything is wrong diagnostics wise on my car!

I need this! Love the geeky techy stuff.

Hi Steve,

The code reader you provided seems like it should work fine, but before purchase, ask the seller for written confirmation, but I really see no problem with it.In regards to reading old codes, I tend to have a rule, if it aint broke, dont worry about fixing it... in which case, I tend to make a note of the codes (using torque pro to save the list) then clear the error codes and continue to drive. Because of that I see I get a recurrng error code which I need to investigate.

Hi Kevin,

There are loads of free applications, I havent looked at software as of yet, but I did recieve a CD with a load of tools. You are welcome to a copy of the software and try many of them out. but I cant personally recommend anything at this time.

Hi Matt,

The MK6 just depends on what year your motor is, but as your car is a 2008, most of the generic readers will work fine...

Edited by jeebowhite
Cant spell for toffee
  • Like 1

Thanks very much for the offer James, much appreciated, but I'm sure with my friend Google's help I'll find some suitable software ;)

All I need now is a lappy with a half decent battery :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info Jeebo... very much appreciated :) :) :)

No problem. Hope its of help. I have diagnosed many a problem with these tools and the on board computer recon I have saved myself hundreds over time!

Turvey have a look on eBay for batteries you can get some good deals!

• 1 month later...

Could you please provide a link to the smart phone application as I'm unable to find it?

Thanks

An advisory to you all!!! Read my thread here, seems that the OBDII adapters can cause some strange behavior if the ECU is trying to be read at the same time that the car is starting. I never saw this on my Cee'd but it seems the Ford ECU Is a bit more fragile...

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/41283-killed-my-bus-oops/

• 3 months later...

I have further updated this to reflect something obvious that I missed before! you can also buy a standalone, handheld diagnostic unit, no phone or PC required.

Any User:

I Forgot when writing this that there is the entirely seperate "standalone" code reader. Its a handheld device that will read the code and control it through a handheld unit, prices for these differ, as little as £10.00 and up to a lot more. You can buy these for an average of £25 - £30 for a relatively branded unit.

http://www.ebay.co.u...reader&_sacat=0

Ove got the torque app and yesterday pulled code p0002 thats down to tuning box tho but I managed to clear the code, fantastic bit of kit

Definately, and for less than £15 all in, it saves a lot of trips to the dealers...

Certainly saved me a few so far!

Hey Jeebo,

I recently got the Autel Maxiscan ms509....... wonderful! less than £30! :)

What can you do with it? others may find it useful to know!

Ive got the android torque app its awesome makes life a little easier if anything goes wrong as you can get your check fault codes yourself and even clear them if needed, I had to clear one other week due to tuning box, hasnt come back on since

It really is an excellent tool, and for under £15 all in, you really cant own a modern car without it!

• 2 weeks later...

Agree'd, there are several times i have stuck my head under the hood, and done something (knocked a cable, pulled the wrong fuse etc) the engine light comes on, or flashing warnings like "transmission failure" and the likes. If I didnt have torque (or a little bit of knowledge) I would have pooped myself, panicked, called the dealer, paid ridiculous recovery costs and suffered ear ache from the wife. But if I do something silly (get the EML for forgetting to plug the MAF back in) then I get Torque out, it reminds me in plain english "NO MAF Signal" and then I pop the bonnet and problem fixed...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Agree'd, there are several times i have stuck my head under the hood, and done something (knocked a cable, pulled the wrong fuse etc) the engine light comes on, or flashing warnings like "transmission failure" and the likes. If I didnt have torque (or a little bit of knowledge) I would have pooped myself, panicked, called the dealer, paid ridiculous recovery costs and suffered ear ache from the wife. But if I do something silly (get the EML for forgetting to plug the MAF back in) then I get Torque out, it reminds me in plain english "NO MAF Signal" and then I pop the bonnet and problem fixed...

Just bought the ELM327 managed to conect to my car,and i am able to read live data but i am a little sceptic becouse when i read for fault codes it scans very fast for about 2 seconds and shows 0 DTC..how is that posible i know i have many DTC on my car right now.I want to see what type of ecu i have and cant find ir?please help

Hi Andi,

It depends what device you have. Some code readers are able to access the live data, but they are not able to access all area's. It could be that you have bought a device incompatible with accessing and managing your DTC codes.

What is the device you bought? and are you using a standalone unit, Laptop unit or a unit for use with a phone?

Hi Andi,

It depends what device you have. Some code readers are able to access the live data, but they are not able to access all area's. It could be that you have bought a device incompatible with accessing and managing your DTC codes.

What is the device you bought? and are you using a standalone unit, Laptop unit or a unit for i bought this use with a phone?

I bought this ELM327 : http://www.ebay.com/itm/V1-5-ELM327-OBD2-OBDII-CAN-BUS-Auto-Diagnostic-USB-Interface-Code-Scanner-Reader-/180830109519?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a1a507f4f&vxp=mtr

and i use it with a lap top.Why its reads 0 DTCS?

It could be a fake or it could be your car has no codes. Is it still problematic?

It could be a fake or it could be your car has no codes. Is it still problematic?

Hmm fake?it is just as the original one and the cd too.Can you post me were did you buy yours please?The car has errors becouse i got since 4 days the ENGINE light on my dashboard and it hasnt gone..