Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Got An Error On Your Car?

jeebowhite

If you ever disconnect your battery make sure you've got your radio code.

Personally I have never used that trick but I have heard of people doing it.

Sent from my C5303 using Ford OC mobile app

Resetting the battery is fine. This will allow you to retrain the ECU and it forgets any non critical problems, so if you restart the car it will then just register anew issue only if the issue is present.

Hi all I reset the ecu today but still getting the fault code the car is running fine so might just leave and see how it goes. :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Ford OC mobile app

Sorry to be a pain but what dose a rom issue actually mean and what will it effect.

Basically a ROM is a computer chip that is programmed once, and can only be read after that (kind of like burning a CD).

What happens is that sometimes the chip isnt coded because that chip isnt needed for that cluster, or the chip suffers an electric charge that can in essence wipe it clean.

So in the event that you get the likes of a ROM error, it just means that the data on that chip cannot be read, but its not always a problem, as I say, not all the chips are required, or the code on them is more often something like a booster to make it perform better, rather than a critical piece.

Thank for all the information you have all been a great help.

No worries!

Resetting the battery is fine. This will allow you to retrain the ECU and it forgets any non critical problems, so if you restart the car it will then just register anew issue only if the issue is present.

Retrain the ECU you say...? Do you reckon that will cure the stuttering problem I'm having in the morning? Had Ford look at twice but to no avail and I've booked it in again for diagnosis next Monday.

Ordered myself an ODB2 reader off the net for a laptop and will be hooking it up at the weekend to see if there's anything I can find.

Car is still under warranty mind so any repair work will need to be done by Ford.

Pretty good chance it can make a difference but not resolve it.

The ECU is a computer, much like how you can change settings on your computer, the changes in driving behaviour are recorded on the ECU. So if the issue is with a setting it has learned then it could make a difference, of course if the error is physical then it won't change it at all.

Sent from my MY SAGA C2 using Ford OC mobile app

No fault codes were found in the system at the time of the fault and none have existed since. Worth a shot I guess...? I did put a D900 on the dash due to unplugging the DPF pressure sensor but I'm sure they'll clear that out on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• 4 weeks later...

Updated to include a recommended piece of laptop software

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I have trawled the internet for an answer to my query to no avail, so on seeing that this thread was still active I thought I would post!

My 55 reg Fiesta Style 3 door (non-face-lift) has its engine light on, of course just as I am coming up to look to sell.

My Uncle had an OBD2 bluetooth scanner which he has used on a different car with great success so I tried this on my Fiesta - on plugging it in, all that came on was a red LED (as opposed to the green one which was the case on the other car) and the scanner was undiscoverable via bluetooth. My uncle went away and put some power through the scanner and it came on and worked fine. I later purchased a different brand of scanner and, of course, the same thing happens - all that comes on is the red LED above the "PC" label. I have also tired this scanner on another facelift Fiesta which I think is 57 reg with absolutely no success i.e. the same red LED shows up and the device is not discoverable.

Before I fork out either another £15 on an F Super which apparently should work, or take my car down to the local Gates and have them tell me what the problem is for £105(!!!), can anyone tell me why no scanners seem to work with my car?! This is incredibly frustrating as I am sure you can imagine!

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris,

this is a new one on me! so you have tried the same working adapter on two seperate Fiesta's and they dont work at all? Basically the red light is little more than power, and showing that the car is connected to the bluetooth adapter. The Green light will only come on after you have opened the device via Torque or a similar application.

I know that when I first got my mondeo, it seemed impossible to get the devices to work, however, after I left it plugged in for a while, and Torque open on screen (just left it to try and connect) after about 10 - 15 minutes, it just came to life.

It might be something similar, Torque will probably be trying to connect not only to the bluetooth, but working out the parameters to communicate with the ECU.

Frustrating that it doesn't even appear on bluetooth when searched on a number of devices. Tomorrow evening I will leave it running/searching for a while and have another go, maybe it just needs a bit of encouragement! Will feed back to see if I get it working.

Thanks so far!

No Worries,

You might have a faulty adapter. As soon as its connected and the red light comes on the bluetooth module should become visible to all to see. You then pair up with 0000 or 1234 and it goes from there.

If your phone isnt even picking up the bluetooth broadcast, it would suggest its not powering up the bluetooth correctly, or its defective in that the power supply its getting from the port is not sufficient to power it correctly.

• 3 months later...

Hello,

generic means it will work on most cars.

I can recommend the V Gate VS550 it reads and clears codes, reads live engine data, no laptop need as it has a LCD screen built in,

I have tried it on a Ford Kuga, Bmw 1 Services, Audi A4 and a Jag S Type, works great on all and probably more cars. It only has 4 buttons Up, Down, Yes, No so you can't go wrong.

Regards

Steve

Looks a good piece of software, although I would say that it looks a bit expensive (cheapest from UK on eBay is around £80). It can be found here for around €40 http://www.carsets.co.uk/wholesale/vs550-vgatescan-obd-eobd-scan-tool.html?gclid=CJvk7vGFysACFRSEfgodo4cAMA

Does sound like a good bit of kit though!

Yes it is a great bit of kit, i didnt pay that I only paid £25 for it as amazon had a offer on it, I think its £30 something now :)

Pretty good going maybe I saw the mk2 variant

Depending on the focus you have and the trip computer, you either have a reset button on the stalk or an ok button on the wheel. Whichever you have, turn the engine off, press and hold this button then whilst holding the button Turn the engine on and keep hold. When you see it hit test mode, let go, then press the appropriate button repeatedly to scroll through till you get to dtcs. Then you can use these codes to help. But the problem is the error codes are basic and need translating. So if you ever have a choice use the trio as a short term get me by but always get a proper code reader ad it makes life easier. Most translate the number to words on screen immediately

Hello,

generic means it will work on most cars.

I can recommend the V Gate VS550 it reads and clears codes, reads live engine data, no laptop need as it has a LCD screen built in,

I have tried it on a Ford Kuga, Bmw 1 Services, Audi A4 and a Jag S Type, works great on all and probably more cars. It only has 4 buttons Up, Down, Yes, No so you can't go wrong.

Regards

Steve

got vgate vs450 is this compatable for 05 c-max

paul

Yeah cmax is obd2 compliant so should be fine