Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk6.5 Electric Door Mirrors

Hey guys,

Pretty new on the forum here, I have a fiesta mk6 facelift model. My question is does anyone know if I can switch out the manual mirrors for electric ones? Are the connections there or does it have to be done from scratch?

If the connections are there i'll do it sooner rather than later, the electric ones look much smarter.

Thanks for any help in advance guys.

• 1 month later...

It's unlikely the wiring is already there, so you will need to upgrade the loom for one with electric mirrors, it should already be wired in your main loom to the fusebox, so should be easy to do.

Id have thought the wiring ahould be there on the 2008 model cause most of them were fitted with the electric powerfolding mirrors the only way to find out is to take the wing mirror trim off and have a look :)

• 5 months later...

Was going to attempt this myself. Any luck?

Aye buddy I did mine on the pre facelift, pretty simple, first though, check behind the mirror panel for the plugs.... If no plugs present, you will have to replace the wiring loom behind each front door, these can be had from eBay for around £40 a pair(if you're lucky) I've seen them go for as much as £40 each side.

Do i need to remove the door panel to check there? Where urs in place? If yes how did you find them

Thanks

PS any ideas on the wiring differences between powerfold or not powerfold mirrors?

I would have thought it would be just the mirror panel you would have to remove to check for the plugs? But if I were you I would remove the whole door panel, just in case, they could be tucked and taped to your panel. No mate mine weren't in place(but I have a pre facelift and not many of them were equipped with them) yours is a facelift and more of them were.

As for the power fold there is an extra couple of wires in the plugs(not entirely sure how many) but you would also need to check that your fusebox have the necessary relays wired in and in place(mine didn't so I didn't bother) I've heard they often fail anyway there is a slight chance I have more info on wiring the relays..... Watch this space.....

Ok thanks for the answer

So you dont recommended the power fold mirrors? Since i drive alot and fold the mirrors alot i was planning to program with ignition to fold automatically via the gem. If they fail alot ill think about it lol.

How did you pass the loom?

Any ideas from where i can get a diagram for the fusebox to check mine?

Till now all its i retrofitted i had the loom in place. Front fogs. (Still planning to do it) but found the loom tied under water wash bottle on one side and the other under ps reservoir.

So hope i am lucky on these since i cant find the loom on eBay :((

Mine were manual mirrors but my side the glass is falling and here ford dealer charges 120 for it which is equivalent to 2 electric powerfold from eBay lol

PS what about the interior panel did you need to change it or does the switch fit inside there?

Thanks

I would only fit the power folds if all the wiring and relays were present in the fusebox (your diagram is stuck to the back of your glovebox, to access it push in the tabs at each side of the glovebox, to allow it to fully open.

Yeah I have retro fitted everything too and did also do my front fogs(dead easy btw)

Unfortunately the whole door needs to be stripped back to the skin.... Door card off, inner panel off, then remove and replace the loom.(have a look at my electric window conversion in the guide section) this will explain how to strip the door right down to removing the inner panel(where the loom is attached to)

You will need to buy a new mirror panel as the switch doesn't fit onto the manual panel and a new passenger side panel without the hole for the manual adjuster.

Found a drivers side door loom this has the plugs for the mirrors this is for a three door model only..... Also be careful with people listing them as compatible with all mk6's from 2002-2008 that's rubbish, as the pre facelift (2002-2005) have different shaped main (circular) plug as well as mirror and window plugs.

http://bit.ly/GMQOtw

So the loom is different for 3dr/5dr models? Also have you got an idea what type of plug mine should have? Hopefully my loom is pre installed will check this weekend prob sunday

When i get home ill have a look at my fuse box.

Thanks

In the mean time if you happen to come accross a good loom send me the link. Also i cant seem to find the inner panneling...

So the loom is different for 3dr/5dr models? Also have you got an idea what type of plug mine should have? Hopefully my loom is pre installed will check this weekend prob sunday

When i get home ill have a look at my fuse box.

Thanks

In the mean time if you happen to come accross a good loom send me the link. Also i cant seem to find the inner panneling...

The looms are essentially the same, but because the 3door model has longer doors then obviously the looms have to be longer so the length is the only difference. It may be possible to fit a three door loom to a five door car but don't quote me on that as there might be far too much excess cable in the way of the window regulator etc.

your loom will have this plug at the end that plugs into your cars main loom...... (Late 2005-2008)

IMG_3765_zpsbe87affe.png

Here is a pic of the earlier pre facelift(2002-2005) spot the differences:-).....

IMG_3583.jpg

I will keep a look out for the correct parts for your car mate.... How many doors does your car have?

And what colour is your manual mirror interior covers?

There's a guy on gumtree selling a pair of electric mirrors that was replaced under warranty by ford(the powerfold function broke) but everything else will work fine, a and they are going for £30 for the pair, you would have to add postage onto that price though.

And also they don't have the colour coded covers so you would have to buy them seperately. Let me know and I'll pm you the link :-)

Actually I was looking for a powerfold that is functional if i got the relay (still need to check though). My interior cover is black and i have a 5 dr model. On sunday ill take off the door card and see with regards to space. Just fyi my fiesta is tonic in colour (like your pic)

Is the door card hard to remove any tips?

What should i watch out with regards to prefacelift vs facelift? Is the switch the same?

Thanks

Yeah mate if you have the necessary relays then you would be as well to fit powerfolds as they can be had for about the same price as non folding.

The door card is simple enough to remove, basically unclip and remove internal mirror cover, unscrew door handles, unclip the window switch panel, then there's 5or6 clips on the bottom outer edge of the door card, once off unclip the door latch, then there's about 16 bolts all around the outer edge of the regulator panel, remove all them then, plug your window back in then lower it until you see where it's clipped into the regularor(3 and 5 door have a slightly different set up here) once the window is unclipped from the regulator jut slide it up the door and tape it in place, then you need to unhook the locking mechanism this is the trickiest part, I think I went into a bit of detail of that part in my electric window conversion guide, on this forum.

Yes the mirror switch is the same throughout the mk6 range, I think its even the same as the mk5and 4 too lol

Is the loom behind the door regulator? Since if mine has the loom in place i am hoping i can just remove the outer panel and check the loom and maybe see it taped somewhere. My aux cable was taped with one of the gear selectors

Can you send me links to the guides pls or maybe any pics?

Thanks

Unfortunately the wiring loom is behind the panel, however if the cable is present it could be taped around the front of the panel or even clipped in place at its proper location behind the mirror panel? Here's a couple of pictures of my manual window regulator panel...... Bearing in mind mine is a three door and a quite different to the five door one.

This pic is what you will see behind the door card

4C858532-E816-4538-B13F-6077405D96DF-502

Next pic is the rear of the panel where all the important bits are....

E7FF9875-DB46-4C0A-A5E3-ADA3A0572AF3-502

The loom here is the most basic one with no mirrors,or windows, but it shows you where it's located and the route it runs to and from. (I dotted it with a white marker to make it more visible)

• Like 1

Here's a link to my electric window conversion guide that may help you to remove the door card and regulator panel.

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/43131-guide-mk665-manual-to-electric-window-conversion/

Ps if you check to see if you have the powerfold relays in your fusebox, also it'll take you like a couple of minutes to check behind your wee mirror covers for plugs so if you have a look, let me know your findings :-)

Cheers.

I am in the garage. I am doubtig i got a powerfold mirror relay. Are there 2 different fuseboxes? Once i get up ill post the pics. I have the fuse of electric mirror installed but not of the heated i guess ill add that fuse

Also i have ann unused wire behind the glove box any ideas what it could be?

Thanks

I'm not sure if your fusebox is different to my pre facelift fusebox but if you upload a few pics I should be able to see if you are powerfold ready :-) I wasn't aware that the heated element of the mirrors worked off a different fuse :-p I assumed it just worked off the rear heated screen. I didn't have to do anything to mine, once I plugged them in they worked (and heated) :-)

Not too sure what the stray wire could be? Post a pic:-) ...... Possible from a previous owners ipod or mp3 connector (broken) ? Or maybe from a courtesy light?

http://bit.ly/16THtwe

This guy have the both looms in stock, the exact ones you want(he is going to check and call me back tomorrow once he's checked to see if they are equipped with power fold functionality) now that's the good news..... The bad news is, that he wants £110 posted for them! Ouch!!

The following pics are those of my fuse box.

photo3_zps04250e53.jpg

photo2_zps29ccb8c6.jpg

I am not sure what whether I got the relay. There is no sign of a powerfold mirror relay symbol so I am guessing I have a basic fuse box. Also as you can see from the symbols there is an extra fuse for the heated mirror I guess ill just add the fuse lol :)

The following pic shows that wire I found near the fusebox.... what might it be hmm.... lol

photo1_zpsbeb1711f.jpg

That loom is expensive haha. It is the whole cost of the mirrors lol!!!! Maybe I have it installed ill check in the weekend cause then I can do it slowly and patiently. :)

Thanks

Interesting all pics of fuseboxes on eBay (different part numbers to mine) seem to have the same relays and fuses.... Are we sure we need a relay? or maybe just the fuse. Also I noticed I got the autolamp relay on but don't have autolights lol :)

Think you're right mate, no signs of the relays there :-/ oh well, as for the stray wire? Is it the black one you are talking about? Can you see where it comes from or does it have a plug on the end?

I have just called another guy who has the bith looms you need in stock and he only wants £35 posted for the both sides.... If I were lulu I would snap them up before he realises they are worth a lot more lol, let me know and I will pm his number onto you, so you can arrange possible payment and delivery:-)