Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gem Module Replacement Advice Please

jayson2323

I have a faulty GEM Module and have found some 2nd hand GEM modules from car breakers with 6 months warranty. My only question is Ford tell me a GEM module has to be programmed and it may no be possible to program a 2nd hand one, can anyone give me some advice regarding this, am I not able to swap in a 2nd hand one?, will the keyfobs work, if any programming is needed can I do it myself?

You can swap the module I did. To get the heated seats to work. You will have problem with central locking as once you swap it the central locking deactivated and needs to be activated. I did reactivate it myself using the elmconfiq program and the mod elm 327. Or ford reactivate it for £80 which is to much to just press a button. Once it's activated everything works. Make sure you know what fuse box you get a ford make diffrent ones for cars with and without feature. My focus is 2005 but is using a 2007 fuse box. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Nazsky786. Can you confirm that you installed a used fusebox in your car and all you needed was to tweek in elm? I need to change mine for same reason and ford say new unit will go straight in but a used unit wont work as it codes to car.

Obviously this sounds like ford bs. But i dont wanna waste £30 on a used unit if it wont work.

Thanks

Colin

Nazsky786 thanks for the reply, still in an awkward position. I am unable to find a used one with the same part number as mine any ideas?, Colin you say £30 for a used one, where from?, I have tried the car breakers but nothing with the same model number as mine. Ford want to charge me £600 to put a new gem module which includes the parts, the labour and they say as I do not have a 2nd key I will need to buy one as they are unable to program the new gem module without a second key, I need help as that is a hell of a lot of money to fix the wiper issue, any help or advice is much appreicated

A local breakers mate. Whats ya part number? See from everything ive read the keys are stored in the dash cluster and tied to the pcm. Nothing pats related with the gem. If naz can confirm he used a used unit with no trip to dord or someone with ids access im gonna take the plunge.

My part number is 7M5T14A073, is that the one you need?, or you need the ford ford part number 1712211. Please let me know if you can get one for mine from the breakers near you?, have you heard about having to have 2 keys to program the box?, also do you know if it is possible to get the gem repaired?

No. The only thing ive read in the pats guide is when replacing the pcm you need two keys.

As for your part number the only important bits are 7m5t and the first of the two letters after the numbers. The first letter represents options the car is configured for eg cruise control. If you get a D as the first letter its good for everything except st and cc models.

So if you get 7M5T xxxxxx Dx where x can be any letter or number it should be good. You then just need a elm327 cable and some free software to write your cars spec to it.

If you got a brand new one from ford it would be a model number as above because although they made 100's of varients on the production line they only sell the D type enabled for all as a replacement.

As said above though i need confirmation that a second hand unit can be used by someone thats done it as im told by ford only a new virgin unit will work.

• 3 months later...

Where can you find the part number for this? Think I have the same problem. Thank you.

• 8 months later...

I used a used one. It was from a higher model focus . I took it from that car and installed to my focus. Everything worked car started etc. However once you do change the gem you need to use the elmconfig to copy you setting and transfer to the other one as your central locking seems to disable itself for some reason. That's it really .

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Ford OC mobile app

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Hi I know this is an old thread but, having changed my fuse box some time ago and put up with the key fob not working, my boot switch has broke so i need to set up the key so it all works again and I can access the boot using the key. Is there a step by step tutorial of how to do this using ELMconfig? (I am new to it and not set it up yet, only used the ELM327 with forscan) 

Thanks in advance... you guys have not let me down yet!!

• 11 months later...

I’m about to change the fuse box on my daughters 2005 Focus. Do I need to disconnect the battery before I swap them over?

Cheers

Tony P

• 4 months later...
On 4/9/2014 at 12:01 AM, nazsky786 said:

I used a used one. It was from a higher model focus . I took it from that car and installed to my focus. Everything worked car started etc. However once you do change the gem you need to use the elmconfig to copy you setting and transfer to the other one as your central locking seems to disable itself for some reason. That's it really .

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Ford OC mobile app

Sorry i know a very old thread, so if i was to do the same just save everything from old GEM, and write to the new one and remote key should work again? i only have one key 

Before switching GEM module, you need to copy all the original settings using elmconfig. Tab GEM and save all 3 pages. 

Then swap the module.  You will notice only the central locking from key has stopped working,  even if you have legless depending on what car you got the replacement gem from.  

Do the same this time you write the saved configuration files from old gem to new.  

Once you have done that you should be all set.

On keyless it should start working. Remote control you need to complete the key pairing procedure.  This isn't the procedure to program new keys to start the car.

• Like 2

Each car came with the most basic spec GEM it needed for the toys you got...

when replacing you must match at least the spec you have... and or go up the scale, so you can add extra toys the original GEM didn't support

on the part number last two characters give u this info …. one is the ability B basic F everything and the next letter is the production year so a CA is old and rubbish and a FJ much higher spec and much newer, there becomes some more fun with something missing re a receiver for security or door locking on the last ones (post 2011 I think...)

basically all do able but need to know what's going on.... and ALWAYS check all the fuses and relays are there as per the original before playing.  I did mine and was in a rush as had forgotten my diagnostic lead and it was getting dark.  Skipped the check and never had a fuel pump fuse, wasted an hour of my life....

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

Hi,

I'm reading thrue different topics, I have a problem to flash cruise control to the GEM module. My part number is 4M5T-14A073-AH
The HEC module is done and the PCM I still need to do.

Connector C103 is fully equipped and I have the white and brown cable, on GEM, steering column connector and so on. All the pedal switches are available.

I have bought cruise control steering wheel switches and have them installed in my 4 spoke wheel. (red wire in 3, black wire in 4)

If you do the GEM beeb test with the rear window heating switch, no beeb and 4 blickers are answering when pushing one of the cruise control bottoms.

My question is, can I go on with my existing GEM or do I need to swap it with a later suffix?

• 1 year later...
On 2/24/2021 at 6:57 PM, Buster_Belgium said:

Hi,

I'm reading thrue different topics, I have a problem to flash cruise control to the GEM module. My part number is 4M5T-14A073-AH

Connector C103 is fully equipped and I have the white and brown cable, on GEM, steering column connector and so on. All the pedal switches are available.

I have bought cruise control steering wheel switches and have them installed in my 4 spoke wheel. (red wire in 3, black wire in 4)

If you do the GEM beeb test with the rear window heating switch, no beeb and 4 blickers are answering when pushing one of the cruise control bottoms.

My question is, can I go on with my existing GEM or do I need to swap it with a later suffix?

You need a higher version GEM, you've got the most basic version.  Where your part number suffix starts with 'A', it needs to be start with a 'C' or higher.

• 4 months later...
On 2/24/2021 at 6:57 PM, Buster_Belgium said:

Hi,

Mine was a B suffix, I put in the wires to the 103, bought the wheel. Flashed the B GEM and it then worked fine. No LED light in dash tho as it never had one from factory.

my GEM number is 4AO73-BF and I have working cruise control now

Does anyone have a list of what GEMS have what on them? 

you could put the effort in and look at the thread u found

on the part number last two characters give u this info …. one is the ability B basic F everything and the next letter is the production year so a CA is old and rubbish and a FJ much higher spec and much newer, there's some more fun with something missing re a receiver for security or door locking on the last ones (post 2011 I think...)

re a bit earlier - 

the cruise bit is not the HEC or the GEM in my experience its the PCM vidblock must have the cruise logic squeezed in

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club