Do Not Sell My Personal Information

S-Max Spare Wheel

JohnHart

I've found the only fault with my S-Max,

I need a spare can ANYONE help me, I don't know where to start.

what kind of wheel should I go for?

what type of tyre should I go for?

when I get the spare where can I store it in the car without loosing space in my boot???

what kind of jack should I go for?

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Please Help!!!!!

right idealy you need a jack that is capable of lifting the weight of your car.

the general concenus is make sure you get the correct wheel for your car as again the weight of the car

as if the wrong 1 is fitted and you have an accident your insurance company will not pay out.

iirc fords have started doing a steel which is more then capable,have seen a few on eBay.

ive just bought from eBay a 18" snowflake alloy for my smax,and i have it strapped to my passenger seat 2nd row,and jack stowed in the side cubbie at rear.

• Like 1

Yes - don't buy any space-saver wheel - even if it is advertised as being S-max compatible it won't be S-max weight suitable - hence why if you ask at a Ford dealer they will tell you no S-max space-saver spare actually exists.

You have to buy a full-sized spare - either the same as the alloys you currently have, or a full size steel wheel (from the base-model s-max) fitted with appropriate Extra Load tyre so that the rolling radius is the same as your other wheels.

Will consume a big chunk of your boot.

Not really sure why you need a spare anyway? Isn't that why you have breakdown cover?

I've not had a car with a spare wheel for 8 years during which time I have covered about 400,000 miles. I have only had 1 puncture in that time and the goo-stuff repaired it sufficiently - it's not really worth having a spare wheel these days.

• Like 1

Not really sure why you need a spare anyway? Isn't that why you have breakdown cover?

I've not had a car with a spare wheel for 8 years during which time I have covered about 400,000 miles. I have only had 1 puncture in that time and the goo-stuff repaired it sufficiently - it's not really worth having a spare wheel these days.

probably thinking the way i have,tyre gets shreaded and either replace with spare that you happen to be carrying or wait 2 hrs to get a breakdown truck to you.i know which 1 id go for.

also a lot of breakdown covers actually say in the small print that there must be a suitable spare wheel to be fitted,now on another forum this was bought up,and im wondering if this is a get out claus??

a lot of new cars now are having a spare wheel fitted to them,obviously the customers have complained and the manufacturers have finally listened.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

The Ford Kuga has a space saver spare which would be the same weight, But I am not sure if they will fit.

I have been looking for ages for a spare as I have been told ones you put the puncture sealant in the tyre can't be repaired.

Would any one be able to tell me if a Kuga wheel will fit a S-Max please.

A Kuga will likely have very different offsets so I'm not sure if it is suitable or not.

I would say probably not, otherwise Ford would offer it as an offical accessory for the s-max.

However, tyres CAN be repaired once puncture sealant has been used. I have had to use puncture sealant on 4 occassions over the years and every time have had the tyre repaired afterwards by local independent tyre places.

The big boys (Kwick fit, ATS etc.) like to spread the urban myth that once sealant has been used tyres cannot be repaired -but it's just that, a myth. It takes a little longer to repair due to them having to clean out the sealant first, and they just prefer to sell you a new tyre as they make more money that way.

best bet, go looking for an SMAX at a breakers, and buy a spare steel wheel. Much, much cheaper and suitablility is almost guaranteed :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

First post and all that, I have recently bought a panther black smax 2 litre turbo petrol ecoboost titanium and am loving it more and more each day, so practical, comfortable and quick.....the only thing I am not loving as seems to be a common theme is the lack of a spare....we have a trip to france in the summer and I don't really want to rely on the dreaded gunk so I have done quite a lot of research (including reading this forum, excellent by the way) and come up with a solution that works for me...but it may not work for everyone. My smax has 17 inch 5 spoke alloys and I found a 17 inch never used spacesaver on eBay (125/80 R17) advertised as from a galaxy (I believe he has some more listed), I confirmed the load rating with the seller which was 99 which is great as the tyres on my smax are 98. The space saver on eBay also came with a jack and a wheel brace. It arrived today in pristine condition and I have tried it on the rear of my smax and everything is hunky dory. I also found some posts on a bmw forum I think about a bicycle wheel cover that will fit the space saver so I ordered one of those as well and that also arrived today and it fits the space saver perfectly (a little bit squeezed but the zips still do up), http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-elsted-wheel-bag/ so no muck in the back of the car either.

After taking the full size wheel off to try the space saver I can confirm the space saver is significantly smaller. I have managed to store all the tools (jack, wheel brace) in the storage in the rear passenger side footwell and I may keep the space saver in the car or in the garage when local but will definitely pack it when going on long journeys and with the huge boot (I have 2 kids so don't generally need the rear most seats unless taking the in laws as well) there is plenty of room for it.

I hope this is helpful...oh almost forgot to say, I also checked with my insurer and made it clear it was not manufacturer standard kit but it would be the correct load rating they replied I would be covered as long as I adhered to the speed/mileage warnings on the tyre (no mileage warnings anyway but tyre is restricted to 50 mph).

J

It's not the tyre that needs to be the right rating - it the rim itself. There is NO OFFICIAL ford spacesaver spare available for current smax or galaxy models.

Ask at a ford dealer if you don't believe me!

The one you're buying will either be for last gen (lighter) Galaxy or is being misrepresented.

Fine that your insurance may cover you. Not so good for your (& your family's) health if the wheel shears at speed as it is distinctly possible to do.

you should look to buy a full size wheel from an old / writeoff / scrapyard / online. Its the only safe answer as mentioned above.

The cars weight means its dangerous even to travel a short journey on those things!

Crickey, what a welcome.

I take the safety of my family VERY seriously.

I did a lot of research on this topic including talking to Ford, insurance company, looking at forums and talking to friends in the motor trade so I thought I would do the community thing and share my knowledge...I don't think I'll bother again!

Just cos it is not OFFICIAL as you put it does not mean it is not compatible, if you use an aftermarket compatible alternator , does that mean your car will blow up?

FYI......The lightest (most are heavier) old model galaxy is within 7kgs of my smax. I had already checked and verified before I posted my original post that the wheel and tyre are compatible with each other and are the correct load rating as mentioned above HIGHER than the smax load rating.

Pls don't reply to this thread you have already made your feelings very clear.

Do you not think if there was no issue that ford would not be offering this as a genuine accessory for smax & galaxy owners? Like they do for mondeo, focus etc.

There is a reason why there's no spare wheel available for the smax & galaxy. And it's a safety reason.

But hey if you know better than ford you go for it.

To put this into context, I have seen the results of an under spec'd wheel on a heavy vehicle. It's not pretty and dad & 3 kids where very lucky not to have been involved in a very nasty accident.

Of and I have a friend who works for ord vehicle design - he tells me ford are all for maximising profit and if the wheel you bought was suitable there is no way ford would miss a trick in selling it as an accessory and cashing in on most of the owners out there.

Hi James,

Please dont take these comments to heart, they are not intended to cause offence or disregard for any of your comments or concerns. The members of this forum only advise all that they can as far as their knowledge is concerned.

Whilst our opinions may differ to yours, please dont feel that due to this, we are looking to belittle your points.

I appreciate as you do the safety of family, children and any friends onboard. The other members observations of official accessories (or the lack thereof a spare) is an observation of Ford's limited catalogue, and for the most part, the advice offered by said dealers will be the advice reflected here. At the end of the day, the only person who knows 110% is the bloke who wrote the rulebook in the first place.

Please dont be discouraged from joining further in these discussions, nobody here is present to cause you offence, or throw you into turmoil, exactly the opposite, the forum spirit is to help you save as much as possible, and to help you get everything as quickly as possible.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

there is a lot to be said for for the sealant and pump against the traditional spare wheel. Apart from saving space and weight, anyone who has suffered the terrifying ordeal of trying to change a wheel on a busy motorway will agree, the less time spent on the hard-shoulder the better and safer you are. 

I have a s max 1.6 tdci duratorq 2012, today I bought a 16 inch space wheel with the accessories from a broken c max 10.it fit perfect .soon I 'll sent photos.

Στάλθηκε από το HUAWEI MT7-L09 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club