Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"taking Oval To Blue Horizon" Lenny's Build Thread 2010-2015

Lenny

Progress Update:

Took out the headunit and discovered all RCA connections to be 100%

The problem is in the white VIBE SLICK RCA line feeding from the headunit to the amp its not carrying the signal,

These RCA cables were brand new unused however ive purchased as part of amp install kit last september and since sold all other parts of the purchase resulting in no chance of a refund.

Thankfully I've run the RCA's along the roof lining on the drivers side,

Meaning i thankfully don't have to remove seats and lift carpet to remove this cable and replace it.

I will purchase another Vibe Slick 4AWG amplifier install kit in Halfords to obtain a replacement RCA cable then sell onwards the remaining items from the kit.

I connected a regular RCA cable between amp and headunit today for a short time to allow the headunit self calibrate the system and i must say its much better now that the headunit knows its parameters the bass from the sub is mental at full level its not loud bass like a ported sub,

Its a sealed enclosure so it gives out vibration bass can feel it in my bones or when touching the car :lol:

I'll get the RCA replaced next week from a Vibe Slick 4AWG kit I've also gotta photograph some other unused vibe items which ill have for sale and ill start a thread in the "For Sale" section to include them along with the remaining items from the not yet purchased 4AWG kit.

• Like 1

Awesome! The new ariel looks really good. How hard is it to fit? I might be tempted if it makes the reception better.

Also, those wind deflectors look really cool. I like them in dark much more than my old Climair ones.

Could you please point me to the links for the 2 above? Thanks :)

Thanks mate,

I'm surprised at how streamline the Team Heko wind deflectors are on the focus considering there wind deflectors,

Back when i had a Toyota Starlet Team Heko used to print there logo on with a sort of paint which could be easily wiped off,

However TeamHeko now lightly etch there logo in to the perspex so it can no longer be wiped off :lol:

I was hoping to have some website decals printed to replace the TeamHeko logo's on the front deflectors and completely remove there logo from the rears but it seems ill just have to live with it as is.

Here's Supplier of Wind Deflectors link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190829295974

Don't ship these via ParcelMotel delivery because the box is too long for the cabinet, cheaper to import directly the supplier linked above use's ParcelForce/GLS shipping from Germany directly.

IMG_20150313_134011_zpsnrar5pab_edit_142

Supplier of the AutoLeads Aerial link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360483748613

The Aerial is a straight swap,

Screw off existing one and screw on this one,

The aerial comes in packaging with the medium bar fitted,

I swapped it out for the supplied largest bar,

Very simple all unscrews easily.

Garage.ie also supply the Bosch S4 007 battery for Ford Focus Diesel models at a very competitive price.

• Like 1

Lenny, that shake you to the core bass you feel is highly addictive. You don't even have to crank the volume that loud to feel it. I reckon, given that your amp is putting out more power than mine, you have hit the sweet spot for that subwoofer. Are you going to put the sound deadening material in the future or just leave it out? I know you have concerns about weight, but in my car with 1.5 pack of the Silent Coat in on 4 doors, trunk and bonnet, there was no noticeable drop in performance or mpg. It does reduce the ambient noise level in the car and make the mid bass more prominent.

The Team Heko ones are very cool. I am going to order some as I hate the noise of the wind swishing around when I am driving on the motorway. I just emailed the seller to see how much is postage to Ireland.

I will probably get the aerial as well. It does look nicer being shorter.

Thanks for the links :)

As for the battery, I think I might hold off as my current one is doing ok and I am trying to save money for the house lol. Planning to have enough in the summer for more Silent Coat on the floor pan and layers with Dodo Mat. This should help lessen a lot of the road noise.

• Like 1

IMG_20150405_193009_zpsvnuiipyd_edit_142

IMG_20150406_043511_zpsvce133dg_edit_142

All items listed are selling as one parcel priced at 32.45 inc. Shipping to UK the weight of this parcel is quite heavy resulting in shipping costing 22.45GBP as result I'm profiting 10.00GBP on the sale of all items, I'm not open to offers or collection.

All items listed are brand new highest quality excess stock ideal for anyone upgrading there audio system saving you over 25 GBP on purchasing these parts directly from suppliers,

I've taken the time to measure all cables and package everything in to one box ready for despatch, i wont be selling any item separately,

The short length cables among the list are ideal for connecting between speaker and crossover box's

Power cables ideal for connection between battery and fuse/circuit breaker.

So what do i get shipped to my door for 32.45GBP

405cm Length

AutoLeads Oxygen Free Copper Speaker Cable

34cm Length

Vibe 4AWG FlatLine Earth Cable with insulated Gold crimped fork terminal

212cm Length

Vibe 4AWG FlatLine Earth Cable Black/Silver

151cm Length

Vibe 4AWG FlatLine Power Cable Red/Silver

152cm Length

Vibe 4AWG FlatLine Power Cable Red/Silver

52cm Length

Vibe 4AWG Red Power cable with insulated Gold crimped Ring terminal

83cm Length

Vibe 4AWG Brown Earth cable with insulated Gold Crimped Ring Terminal

109cm Length

Vibe 4AWG Red Power cable

112cm Length

Vibe Blue Remote line cable

100cm Length

Gold RCA Audio Cable Male-Male

300cm Length

Vibe FlatBass Solid Core Oxygen Free Copper strands 13SPK High Definition Bass Speaker cable

225cm Length

Vibe FlatBass Solid Core Oxygen Free Copper strands 13SPK High Definition Bass Speaker cable

73cm Length

22cm Length

Vibe 13SPK FlatFlex Speaker Cable Oxygen Free Copper High Definition Cable

27cm Length

35cm Length

36cm Length

38cm Length

54cm Length

175cm Length

2 x Vibe 4AWG Gold Crimp Fork Terminals with Black/Red Sleeves

1 x Vibe 4 AWG Gold Crimp Ring Terminal with Black/Red sleeves

1 x Vibe FastPlug Connector

1 x Pack Gold Spade Crimp connectors for speaker terminals with Red/Black sleeves

Quantity: 2

Weatherproof Momentary push button switches ideal for fitting under wing mirror as part of a door popping setup

Quantity: 22

Black M6x30 Philips head self tapping screws

Quantity: 6

M5 x 25 Stainless Steel Washers

Quantity: 5

M6 x 30 Stainless Steel Washers

Quantity: 5

M6 Stainless Steel Nylon Lock nuts

Quantity: 6

M6 x 20 Stainless Steel Hexagon Head Bolts

Quantity: 4

M6 x 25 Black Allen Head Aluminium bolts

That's everything :)

Payment via PayPal email me if interested:

SOLD 💷

• Like 2

Lenny, that shake you to the core bass you feel is highly addictive. You don't even have to crank the volume that loud to feel it. I reckon, given that your amp is putting out more power than mine, you have hit the sweet spot for that subwoofer. Are you going to put the sound deadening material in the future or just leave it out? I know you have concerns about weight, but in my car with 1.5 pack of the Silent Coat in on 4 doors, trunk and bonnet, there was no noticeable drop in performance or mpg. It does reduce the ambient noise level in the car and make the mid bass more prominent.

I'm leaving out the sound deadening altogether mate the MDF cavity panel along with the sub enclosure has helped to reduce road noise and the tweeters are pretty good at drowning out even the engine noise when I'm in the car on my own :lol:

My project is now complete except for the 10" flip down monitor and bumpers change later in the year there's nothing cost effective left remaining to do,

By that i mean the only modification left is a Hybrid turbo, only costs 1,200euro exc. Fitting is great,

However it would require fuel injector upgrade to 110bhp jets, kevlar clutch upgrade, rear disc brake conversion, Intercooler upgrade and potentially pin&tooth of gear box cogs,

Overall potentially 4,000euro expense for a 25-30bhp increase in performance, not worth the spend on that in my opinion.

• Like 3

Cool. Can't wait to see pictures of the whole system in all its glory :)

Did you buy the Sound deadening btw?

How's the flip down monitor coming up?

I agree with you about the hybrid turbo. A lot of money for a diminishing return in power gains.

• Like 1

Did you buy the Sound deadening btw?

No i give it some thought before going to purchase and decided not to bother,

How's the flip down monitor coming up?

I agree with you about the hybrid turbo. A lot of money for a diminishing return in power gains.

I've gotta purchase some 3 Metre RCA extension cables aswell as some large diameter washers,

Then get in to the frame of mind to remove more panels and get the roof lining out,

Weather permitting ill hopefully have it fitted by the end of April,

Could have done with it past week I've spent 18 hours on the road bring kids on day trip holidays ill update the build here with a link to the install guide when complete.

I've also gotta source a CD with:

A sine-wave test tone recorded at 0 dB reference level in the frequency in 50 Hz

and

A separate track with the same sine-wave test tone recorded at 0 dB reference level in the frequency 1 kHz

In order to calibrate the amplifiers along with the use of my multimeter,

I am aware there may be various apps and MP3's available to download for this however it must be on CD as i need to set all equaliser settings and faders to zero in order to calibrate both the amplifiers input sensitivity in order to gain maximum output aswell as set the maximum output limits to match the limits of the Speakers resulting in zero distortion and zero risk of blowing anything with full range of volume control.

The way this works is:

Disconnect speaker output cables from the amplifier,

Connect multimeter probes to the speaker outputs on the amplifier,

Set the Multimeter to display to Hz or KHz depending on what your tuning.

Insert CD to headunit,

Set all equaliser and enhancers to zero aswell as faders to centre,

Play the specific track while viewing multimeter display,

Adjust amplifier sensitivity screw until the multimeter display reading matches the input reading in Hz or kHz

Next is to set the ohms,

Change multimeter reading to AC voltage,

Adjust the amplifier gains wheel to achieve the correct level of AC voltage output which corresponds to the voltage level stated in the user manual in order to achieve the correct ohms to match the Speakers.

Anyway,

I've managed to source a supplier of the sine-wave 1 kHz test tone recorded at 0 dB

Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDIO-TEST-TONE-CD-FOR-HOME-STUDIO-OR-IN-CAR-USE-/290992900278?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43c08748b6

However I'm still in search of the 50 Hz sine-wave test tone recorded at 0 dB

Once this is done i can then use the pioneer self calibrating microphone to allow the headunit use its digital equaliser settings to calibrate the Speakers within the self preset perimeters.

• Like 1

Christ Lenny havent been on here for a while but im in awe of the job you have undertaken. You must have the patience of a saint to do that yourself, I know I wouldn't have the balls to take a job like that on.

Fair play to ya lad, your attention to detail amazes me

• Like 1

Christ Lenny havent been on here for a while but im in awe of the job you have undertaken. You must have the patience of a saint to do that yourself, I know I wouldn't have the balls to take a job like that on.

Fair play to ya lad, your attention to detail amazes me

Hi John,

Thanks very much for your kind words mate,

Ive been planning this stage of the build since October 2014 it has been quite stressful at times fearing the outcome and that my next move would be a failure particularly when drilling holes in the carpeted MDF panel had the hole been off id have had to build another from scratch but thankfully it has all worked out as planned,

The only disappointing part now is that its almost over :lol:

It has been a very enjoyable process its the planning and fitting i enjoy most its great to have the forum especially at this point to share the ideas, interest and to recap on the memories of the build.

• Like 1

Special thanks to Adrian at Microphonics on eBay.co.uk supplied me with an Audio Test CD containing various sine-wave tones

I required a 1 kHz test tone recorded at 0 dB to calibrate the JL Audio XD400/4 full range amp,

Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290992900278

Not only that;

When i contacted Adrian through eBay to ask if he knew where i could get my hands on a 50Hz Sine Wave tone Recorded at 0db on CD to calibrate the JL Audio XD300/1 Mono amplifier he was also able to supply it on a separate CD

Top man indeed as its almost impossible to find.

IMG_20150418_065924_zpsfdu6g8ou_edit_142

Note: never insert a cd with 50Hz at 0db in to a full range speaker as ive been told it will blow instantly,

This is why its normally only available at -20db,

However it is OK to use on a sub or mono amp setup as long as the full range are disconnected.

• Like 2

You started running calibration yet?

After you posted the videos on how to set up with a multimeter, I am now tempted to do the same as I have had my system for a while and never did a proper calibration. Only did it by ear. Will await eagerly to hear how your tests turn out.

• Like 1

You started running calibration yet?

After you posted the videos on how to set up with a multimeter, I am now tempted to do the same as I have had my system for a while and never did a proper calibration. Only did it by ear. Will await eagerly to hear how your tests turn out.

Not yet mate,

I was on nights this week,

Got up at 17:00 yesterday, went to work for 23:00 finished at 07:00 went to parcel motel collected delivery of the CD's

Home had shower & shave then mistakenly took Vicki to Dundrum for a shopping spree,

I'm just home now and awake for 25 hours lol

Three cans of Monster id be cheaper drinking petrol lol

Bottom line mate ill get at the calibration tomorrow,

From my understanding of what the JL Audio manual;

The CD calibration with multi metre ensures the amplifiers are taking in the correct lowest base levels of audio,

Result being any amplification the amp then gives will be of purpose,

With this done,

The next stage would be equaliser adjustment/calibration followed by fade adjustment and sound levelling,

I could be wrong mate,

I'm a complete amateur at this stuff but that's my understanding of what it says in the JL Audio manuals,

I think this method can also be used to set the optimum watt output to the Speakers to ensure there not being fed more than they can handle,

Again though I'm not 100% but ill get to know soon,

• Like 1

I had a friend from work who runs an audio company configure my system. It didn't make too much difference although the headunit control for the sub seems to affect it more now :)

• Like 1

I had a friend from work who runs an audio company configure my system. It didn't make too much difference although the headunit control for the sub seems to affect it more now :)

To be fair mate there is a chance your stereo amp had been tuned before you got it because it was purchased pre-owned,

The mono amp then showed improvement because you purchased it brand new so wasn't tuned,

Just a thought as to why there wasn't much change.

Tuning update:

Manually Calibrating the Ω 0hms on the mono amplifier,

IMG_20150419_174520_zpsv3j3shwb.jpg

Were going for 4 Ω on the Mono

So i need to get 28.3V displaying on the multimeter by adjusting the input sensitivity,

That's a lot of voltage pulsing to the sub right there,

Started off by putting levelling the equaliser to "FLAT"

IMG_20150419_175634_zpsbyiudjhg.jpg

Then set the speaker level to zero

IMG_20150419_175749_zpsubuefa6q.jpg

Followed by the signal source boost level to zero

And finally the audio level to 30

IMG_20150419_175813_zpsv5pv6qsk.jpg

I then disconnected all audio feeding to the 4 channel amplifier

IMG_20150419_175209_zps8an1shum.jpg

Disconnected the sub and connected the banana plugs to the multimeter so no Speakers are connected at all,

Just the mono amp feeding to the multimeter,

I then went to set the "input sensitivity" screw on the Mono amplifier to zero, but it was already at zero level :o

IMG_20150419_175430_zpss6piqfsv.jpg

I then started the engine and Inserted the 50Hz Sine-wave CD which was recorded at 0dB

IMG_20150419_175916_zpslejvuxe6.jpg

IMG_20150419_175914_zpsw0hngqpp.jpg

IMG_20150419_175919_zpsscslxtz8.jpg

Got back to the boot compartment and turned up the screw until the multimeter was displaying as close as possible to 28.3V AC

I say as close as possible because the tweak is so hyper sensitive its very easy to sneeze and have it displaying 47.2V :lol: took two hands to steady it but after two minutes of tweaking were game on :) 28.28V close enough

IMG_20150419_175430_zpss6piqfsv.jpg

IMG_20150419_182307_zpsayz9m7md.jpg

With the Mono amplifier now set for life,

Time to finally fit the aluminium cover and badge,

IMG_20150419_183447_zpsdrz1haf5.jpg

IMG_20150419_183454_zpsrc1qcfza.jpg

Quick change of tester plugs and change of Test CD,

Going to set the 4 channel now,

IMG_20150419_183818_zpsdedsxx4j.jpg

The four channel amp has two "input sensitivity" controls aswell as two frequency level controls,

This enables a range of configurations which can put all low bass in rear Speakers only and all higher levels in front Speakers aswell as leaving all bass to the sub alone etc.

The manual provides scenario examples in the back pages to help.

IMG_20150419_193103_zpswcd9eece_edit_142

IMG_20150419_193124_zpsv1i5ymwk_edit_142

IMG_20150419_193139_zpsdmohwvnd_edit_142

Just going to set both front and back sensitivity for 4 Ω which is what the speakers are rated at,

This will be a target reading of 17.4V on the amplifier speaker outputs,

Ill do more research and find out the best settings for the frequency filters prior to fitting the cover on this one,

Fronts set at 17.32V

IMG_20150419_202529_zpsqnsmixww.jpg

Rear set at 17.34V

IMG_20150419_202357_zpsu571tizq.jpg

Ive removed the sine-wave CD,

Reconnected everything,

Put volume to level 15,

Put in a CD and my neighbour two doors down came out to have a look :lol: thats not the people next door, no the people after that yo!! and his cavity walls are pumped with insulation 5H1t the bed!! :lol:

Volume goes to 40 I've had it at 15 for two minutes and my ear drums are sore to be honest.

And were still only one speaker functioning in the back as ive not yet changed the RCA cable,

In other news,

Ive been to Halfords today,

Saved 2.50 on purchasing a Vibe 8AWG amplifier wiring kit using the forum discount card,

Cost 22.50euro

IMG_20150419_172500_zpsl9zveeyh.jpg

Obtained the replacement RCA cable from its packaging to replace the defective RCA that's currently feeding the rear speakers,

IMG_20150419_172753_zpsxxtelhrt.jpg

And ive sold the remainder of the kit on eBay :)

IMG_20150419_172744_zpstrv3nlhl.jpg

• Like 4

!Removed! nora lenny that is 1 mean set up there.... I would be in crap street with my neighbours...... they wont allow me to make any noise what so ever after 7pm..... :angry:

• Like 2

nora lenny that is 1 mean set up there.... I would be in crap street with my neighbours...... they wont allow me to make any noise what so ever after 7pm..... :angry:

:lol: thanks Mart and good to hear from you again mate hope you and family are well,

Sorry to hear about your neighbours,

I barely took the time to get to know mine and i bought the house back in 2006 in the boom so paid twice as much as any of em for it and i have the youngest kids which were not asleep so they can phek off :lol:

I delayed the bass for as long as possible by choosing the single "Disciples - They Dont Know"

And i too was like "ow lord" when the bass dropped yo.

https://youtu.be/s-kJU21Flr0

The neighbours have the odd house party's and verbal abuse sessions the odd time, i never complain about noise because like today i made some noise and i don't want them complaining, however had i ever pointed my finger when they were at fault I'm sure they would be out in retaliation,

But ya gotta live.

Another good track I've found recently is this remix of "Sugar and Cream - Space tripper"

https://youtu.be/ZCOdwwH-x4A

• Like 1

To be fair mate there is a chance your stereo amp had been tuned before you got it because it was purchased pre-owned,

The mono amp then showed improvement because you purchased it brand new so wasn't tuned,

Just a thought as to why there wasn't much change.

I completely reset the amp when I recieved it as I was trying to find which channel was which! Haha, oops! I just set an approximate level whilst using it for the sub, Then once both amps where installed I had them done properly

• Like 2

I completely reset the amp when I recieved it as I was trying to find which channel was which! Haha, oops! I just set an approximate level whilst using it for the sub, Then once both amps where installed I had them done properly

Just a theory mate,

There's a significant increase in performance from performing today's alterations using the CD's and the Multimeter mate,

I highly recommend doing it and costs less than twenty quid for both items on eBay quite literally music to my ears ;)

• Like 1

Just a theory mate,

There's a significant increase in performance from performing today's alterations using the CD's and the Multimeter mate,

I highly recommend doing it and costs less than twenty quid for both items on eBay quite literally music to my ears ;)

Haha! I'll pardon the pun ;)

I've got a multimeter lying around somewhere.. do you reckon if I used tone generating software and imported into Cubase at 0db it would be accurate? The lad from work did it all by ear but obviously you can't tell voltage through your ears! Well, not until it's high enough to cause your head to pop!

• Like 1

Haha! I'll pardon the pun ;)

I've got a multimeter lying around somewhere.. do you reckon if I used tone generating software and imported into Cubase at 0db it would be accurate? The lad from work did it all by ear but obviously you can't tell voltage through your ears! Well, not until it's high enough to cause your head to pop!

It needs to be on CD recorded at 0db to be perfectly accurate mate,

The seller i bought mine from charged 5.64GBP including shipping there well worth the money,

Link:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290992900278

Would cost me 6.00GBP to ship my copy over to you lol

It needs to be on CD recorded at 0db to be perfectly accurate mate,

The seller i bought mine from charged 5.64GBP with free shipping there well worth the money,

Link:

Yeah I'd record it to CD. If I exported it at 0Db I'd have thought I'd be okay? 0db is 0db no matter where you put it (obviously starts to vary once you play with the playback volume or Gain but the input is still 0db instead of in the -s or +s

• Like 1

I'm a tight git at the minute! If I can find myself and people following your build/guides money then I'll make sure I succeed! Aha

• Like 1

Yeah I'd record it to CD. If I exported it at 0Db I'd have thought I'd be okay? 0db is 0db no matter where you put it (obviously starts to vary once you play with the playback volume or Gain but the input is still 0db instead of in the -s or +s

Should be fine then if you can put 50hz sine-wave at 0db on cd then use it on your mono amp,

Then put 1khz at 0db on a seperate cd for your multi channel then its the same job done.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club