Do Not Sell My Personal Information

55 Reg Ka Unpredictable

Nico 22

Hi first post so here goes...

Gave my sister my ka and after a while it began to struggle to start, possibly because it hasn't been driven much. One night took it for a drive, all was well then it began to misfire and eml came on. Since then it varied from feeling like it has a 200cc engine to a 1 litre. I managed to sort it by using injector cleaner and going for a drive, it fixed it for a while then the light came back but the car ran fine, it has now gone back to what it was even after trying the cleaner again. Have changed the coil, ht leads and sparks. Not sure if I should get carb cleaner and clean the injector manually as its shows up on the OBD.

Would that be the best course of action? Have I missed something or is there a bigger issue? Thanks in advance!

what codes is the reader getting from the car?

The dash says DTC 412 but the machine says injector 4, 412 points to the lambda sensor but injector cleaner got it working before

Slight update. Managed to get a OBDII reader, says P0201/4 (Injector circuit open cylinder 1/4), the spark plugs are also wet. Pulled the plugs individually, 1 and 4 seemed to make very little difference but 2 and 3 made the engine stall

check wiring to the injectors [1&4)

this code suggests an open circuit, possibly an ecu fault.

easiest way to check this you need an injector noid light

should be able to get one/or set from any good motor factors, cheap and quick

disconnect injector plug, fit noid to loom side of connector, turn over the engine, if noid led flashes you know the power/supply circuit is good, suspect injector itself

if noid doesnt flash, power/supply circuit has failed, check wiring/ecu

Ok slight update, not really had much time to work on the car, but managed to get a minute today. I have swapped the cables so the 2 that were throwing the code are now on the 2 that weren't. Weirdest bit is now its coming up that injector 3 has a problem and the o2 sensor, it has left me slightly confused!

Sorry for the late reply

you obviously have a misfire, so wouldnt worry about 02 sensor just yet, would expect that to come up with a miss...be aware though, a misfire can destroy sensor/cat

do you mean ht leads when you said swapping cables

No the cables that go into the injector, I'm beginning to think it's an electrical issue

off top of my head, cant remember if ecu sends signnals individually to injector or in series like the coil pack...either way, wouldnt recommend doing this

did the wire you connected to no 3 come from no 4, if so, sounds like there is a problem with that wire, either a short/open circuit or ecu itself not sending a signal.

be worth finding/investing in that noid light, only a couple of quid

I tried to keep it in order (1,3,2,4) so its the wire intended for injector 1, I only done this to see if it would change the codes I have got.

Unfortunately it's decided to rain so not had the chance to put them back to normal and rescan.

I don't mind buying the noids but to my knowledge there's no where local that I can find that are open and have them

it just confuses the issue, in order to try it correctly, you'd have to change the order they exit from the ecu.

all you have now, if, for eg, ecu sends signals in series, injector will now fire in cyls 2 and 3 when they are meant to go to 1 and 4. will confuse the hell out of the whole system.

I realise that, but I was curious to see if it still threw up errors on the same injectors. Come to think of it, "injector 3" is actually injector 1...

if thats the case, chances are ecu signal is failing....wiring or ecu

Soon as the rains stop I will put them back to normal and try and get some injector noids ASAP

you can do a voltage check with ign on,

disconnect injector, testing loom side of connection, should have 12v at terminal 1 with ignition on. if not then you need to check again at ecu terminal [sorry, dont have info where that is] no signal, ecu faulty, if signal, wiring problem.

if you need ecu redone, do a search for bba reman, have done a few for me and service is good.

you need the noid light or ocilloscope to check signal at cranking [should be tested with all injectors disconnected to be sure engine doesnt start]

• 1 year later...

Sorry for the long delayed response. Turns out 1 inkector was knackered 1 more was on the way out and needed a new heated o2 sensor. All is good now

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Ford OC mobile app