Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone Used Oil Extraction Vacuum?

The Bear

Hi guys,

Not a happy bunny at the moment lol went to drop the engine oil today and the bolts been rounded off by the previous owner/garage/dealer.

Mole grips didn't touch it and neither did my Irwin stud extractors (was just going to replace the sump bolt. I had a go at chiselling a cut and knocking it round with a punch but the bugger is welded and didn't even move!!! Never seen anything like it lol

Anyway, I can't and don't want to weld a new nut on so I'm left with the option of vacuuming it out.

Having done some research on the net it appears that most vacuum reviews are littered with ''the vacuum tube was too big to fit down the dipstick of my Focus''.

Does anyone have a link to one that will definitely work without having to buy it and then go to B&Q for adaptions?

Cheers guys.

Go to Argos and buy one of the mini desktop Henry the hoovers! Wee Henry will sort you right out! :lol:

cant you get a bite on the rounded nut using something a little more industrial, like a large monkey wrench.

this will tighten as you pull and the sharp teeth could cut into the surface and grip enough.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heavy-Duty-Stilson-Monkey-Wrench-Professional-Quality-Pipe-Tool-Adjustable-Jumbo-/251179791181?pt=UK_DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&var=&hash=item3a7b7b734d

TBH i don't know why but it's absolutely welded on! my stud extractor socket has always worked for me but this is on so tight it cut in and just rounded even more!

never seen anything like it :(

Give it a good spray with WD40 and leave it over night to work in and give it another good bash :)

Give it a good spray with WD40 and leave it over night to work in and give it another good bash :)

already had plusgas on it over night :(

From experience of removing very rusty fittings and very corroded aluminium glands etc from ships which have been blasted with salt for years, good stilsons should be enough

I hate mole grips, you cant really clamp them up tight enough and they are too short.

a big hammer and good chisel is also another very good method but it sounds like you have tried that.. i recently had to use this method to remove the sump plug on a mates bike

I take it you did use the chisel on the flatter part of the plug and not the part that 'was' the hex?

ive got 1 of these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003G2YV1I/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9550949109&ref=asc_df_B003G2YV1I

ive used it on my old tdi galaxy,havnt yet used it on my smax.

but i found it quite a decent bit of kit,think i got most of the oil out.

think a lot of the stealers are using very similar devices now,to stop the very thing the op is suffering from.

Coming from a gas engineer id say heat it up with a blowtorch and crack the nut then but I dont think it would be a good idea with it being the oil sump lol. You could try using a big set of stilsons to grip the head and a hammer. The longer the handle the more leverage you'll get on it

thanks for the input guys.

someone else mentioned the stilsons. really not trying to sound negative but i only just got my set of molegrips on it as the position of the drain bolt appears slightly recessed against the pan and theres no room to really get anything around it. these things are sent to try us, huh ;)

gregors, thats the one i was looking at (really dont want to spend a billion on it). did the tube fit down your dipstick.. if that doesnt sound too gross :)

also re heating it up.... i've never done that and i dont have a blowtorch sadly :( and as you say... bit of a dodgy place lol

someone else mentioned the stilsons. really not trying to sound negative but i only just got my set of molegrips on it as the position of the drain bolt appears slightly recessed against the pan and theres no room to really get anything around it. these things are sent to try us, huh ;)

gregors, thats the one i was looking at (really dont want to spend a billion on it). did the tube fit down your dipstick.. if that doesnt sound too gross :)

PMSL :lol:

sorry but that did make me giggle a bit

Welcome to my world! There never enough space to get to the nut on boilers but hey when there's a will theres a way. Try a set of 12" waterpump pliers. Gasman/plumbers main tool lol work on just about any nut

Thanks guys, ill see if i can pinch one from college B)

oooer missus,

well on the galaxy tdi twas mainly a vw engine so if its the same size as yours then its a yes,lol.

but i dont think it will be too difficult to get hold of the correct size tube.

oooer missus,

well on the galaxy tdi twas mainly a vw engine so if its the same size as yours then its a yes,lol.

but i dont think it will be too difficult to get hold of the correct size tube.

lol ;)

ok cheers mate. and thanks everyone for all the advice,

ill try the stilsons first. im sure theyll have them at college. if not ill be buying that from amazon ;)

do you know roughly what the diameter of the dipstick tube is on your galaxy? cheers

no m8 soz,but if its either to big/small im sure you can get the right tube from someone like a wine making/brewing shop.

Weld a nut or bolt onto it? Usually what I do for annoying bits and bolts. No pun intended.

It will be a case of either welding a nut to it or remove the sump and once it's cleared of oil try loosening it from inside using heat and a good wrench.

sadly lads i cant weld :( lol

i've ordered the vacuum and ill let you know how i get on. could film it/take pics and make guides if anyones interested? ive made a few ''how to'' videos of various things motorvehicle. would it help anyone on this forum?

on an aside, i've recently been learning to tap threads at college as part of my bench fitting skills. if i made a hole and put a thread in for say an M12, got an M12 bolt and fitted a washer would that work?

Yes a guide would be brilliant if you don't mind, it's probably worth a star too.

What vacuum did you go for? I meant to measure the 2 tube sizes of the one I have today but I forgot.

I would say no to drilling/tapping as you risk getting filings in the sump

Yes a guide would be brilliant if you don't mind, it's probably worth a star too.

What vacuum did you go for? I meant to measure the 2 tube sizes of the one I have today but I forgot.

I would say no to drilling/tapping as you risk getting filings in the sump

a star? lol

no probs mate. what about stuff like oil changes, spark plug changes, brake fluid changes etc etc? i'm planning on doing a full service when i get some dosh so would all this stuff be useful?

sorry stef, should have said that if i did it i'd take the sump off and get rid of the debris.... just wondering if it would actually work from a ''oil tight seal'' point of view ;)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club