Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Please Help! Ford Fusion 2003

Bielby

Good morning and thanks for looking,

I've had problems with starting the car the past couple weeks, It has just been turning over but not firing and getting dramatically worse,

I've taken it to my mate who's a mechanic and he said it could do with a good service and also the actuator on the turbo (manual one) wasn't moving. On Sunday we changed the fuel filter, air filter and pollen filter, we sprayed a bit of break cleaner in the turbo and the actuator started moving again but not fully, it started fine Sunday and Monday but then this morning it was turning over for another 20 mins and then finally went,

When I first try start it, it starts then dies within seconds then just turns over, we are going to strip the turbo and give it a good clean and change the glow plugs, also had it plugged in and no faults was on there,

Anyone have any ideas? Would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much

Jake

I take its a diesel motor, have you considered the glow plugs?

Yeah sorry forgot to include 1.4TDCI,

Thanks for replying mate and we have considered them but this morning I hand pumped the fuel into the engine using the small pump on top for a few minutes and it started,

Could it be the injectors?

Thanks

could be the fuel pump isnt suppyting enough pressure, have you checked the fuel filter recently?

Maybe the fuel filter then as James said, or maybe clogged injectors as you have said, im not sure as to whether diesels have a fuel pressure regulator in the line like the petrol duratec engines, if they do maybe that isn't holding the pressure to the fuel injectors.

Thanks for replying mate,

The fuel filter is brand new mate just switched it,

Going to check fuel pump tomorrow

Thank you

Not as of yet mate, loosing pressure somewhere along the way,

It starts first time but then dies then just turns over till it eventually starts, once it's started running its alright to start up, just seems to be when it's left for long enough

Have you poked at the injectors yet? I have seen a few other forums with people talking about leaking injectors, they would could cause the pressure to drop, and also have you tried a code checker to see if there are any stored codes, might help more to do the live diagnostics when you try and start it, it should flag something up.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Just wondered if anything got sorted with this as my fusion tdci seems to do the same, turn the key it turns over then stops, only when the car has sat for a while. I've had it fault checked but no problems showed up, could it be a control box somewhere telling the car not to start. It is very weird.

P.S new to the forum so hi everyone!

Cheers

Mike

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums, i dont see why if the pressure was escaping why it would miraculously work when its warm or been running, perhaps a failing fuel pump rather than failed? Mike what have you tried with your problem, and if you crank , long enough the starter motor stops to save its self from cremation, If it were the immobilizer i would have thought it wouldn't go at all, are the ford diesels on a rail or individual injectors?

EDIT: Also nobody has said anything about checking for air leaks or filters. And if you think it seems weird for a diesel to turn over but not start, does the engine try to start or just sound like its turning over with no lumpiness or grumbles, this would mean electronic if it is.

My gut instinct is its an electrical problem near the glow plug relay but could possibly be a fueling issue as it starts with a foot on the throttle and sounds a bit grumbly afterwards. Further inspection i think when i get a day off, groan!!

Thanks for the responses,

Think I've sorted it, small L-shaped pipe coming off the fuel pump was wet, on closer inspection it seemed the o ring inside was knackered, removed the bit of pipe and replaced with a 2nd hand part

Works good as gold for now, touch wood

Cheers boys

Thanks for the responses,

Think I've sorted it, small L-shaped pipe coming off the fuel pump was wet, on closer inspection it seemed the o ring inside was knackered, removed the bit of pipe and replaced with a 2nd hand part

Works good as gold for now, touch wood

Cheers boys

Its like talking to the harbingers of doom haha, atleast it wasnt a catastrophe happy motoring.