Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

The Cost Of A Motoring Conviction.

NorthSussex

Personally I think it would be a good idea for the government to invest in more speed limit signs on all main roads. Theres nothing worse than when you're in an area you dont know and you miss the sign on the road and then you've got someone driving up your backside cause you're doing 30 in a 40. Having a speed limit sign say every 4-500ft is an effective way to make yiu watch your speed. There is some roads like that up here and that combined with a safety camera sign has me glued to the limit. I've only been caught speeding once and that was about 2 months after I passed my test I was doing 40mph in a 30 and I was extremely fortunate that the officers that pulled me in felt sorry for me because of the price of my insurance (£1300 just TPFT) that they were kind enough to give me just a very stern warning and send me on my way. The best thing that then government did was to introduce the 6points=ban rule within the first 2 years of passing your test. I think they should also introduce a rule that every new driver has to have a blackbox fitted to the car for the first 2 years which would make the majourity of young drivers think if they new theyre insurance would go up if their driving habits were bad ie constantly going over the speed limit etc. It would also reduce premiums with car insurance companies not being able to tar every young (particularly male) drivers with the same brush. Im in general a very good driver dont get me wrong theres been times ive misjudged junctions etc but who hasn't at one point or another. In general though particularly now that ive been driving for a few years I know im a capable and responsible driver. Its not your own driving you need to worry about its other peoples :lol:

Would have been nice for a speed sign before I went through a camera at 60 in a new 50 zone, needless to say I'm fighting a loosing battle, seeing the signs weren't up the day I went through it, but were 2 days later (and the ticket came through the post 6 days later, so too late by then to take evidence). If they were really there for safety it'd be good for them to place speed limit signs before them always...

There will be a record of when the signs went up and the new limits were in force.

Do a freedom of information request.

Got a solicitor on the case who's having a go as a favour so hopefully might get it :P

Just the signs on the road went up 3 days before I went down it, except on the section before the camera coming on to the dual carriage way. Then 2 days after my offence they went up on that spot of road.

If there were correct signs before the area you were caught then tbh you're stuffed.

The ruling with speed signage is that in the absence of repeater or gateway signs then the last sign you passed will remain in force.

E.g. If you were on a 30mph road and were to join a road that you know was previously marked as 40mph but no signs are visible notifying you of any speed change then you must stay at 30mph.

Looks like lazy contractors didn't bother to do the work properly -.-

some importants figures there, i do have a question regarding mobile speed cameras

as yet ive been fairly lucky in that ive been doing the correct speed and then suddenly spotting the van,

i was on a 50mph dual carriageway (a500) which i drive up and down every day, i saw the van away in the distance, in a site ive not seen a van there before, looked down had to brake to 50mph (which the bmw sitting on my bumper didnt like much) however the bend that the van was sitting on was a 40mph limit, (the road goes 50, 40 bend, 50 then 70) i slowed down to 50 but would he clock me before the 40 bend or on the 50 straight when i first saw him or clock me doing 50 on a 40 bend?

some importants figures there, i do have a question regarding mobile speed cameras as yet ive been fairly lucky in that ive been doing the correct speed and then suddenly spotting the van, i was on a 50mph dual carriageway (a500) which i drive up and down every day, i saw the van away in the distance, in a site ive not seen a van there before, looked down had to brake to 50mph (which the bmw sitting on my bumper didnt like much) however the bend that the van was sitting on was a 40mph limit, (the road goes 50, 40 bend, 50 then 70) i slowed down to 50 but would he clock me before the 40 bend or on the 50 straight when i first saw him or clock me doing 50 on a 40 bend?

The bit of the A500 I think you're on about its only advisory to do 40mph have a look and see if the 40mph speed limit sign is triangular shaped. If it is this means its advisory if its circular it means its compulsary. I used to stay in stoke so think I know which bit of the A500 you mean

The van would be aiming quite a distance up the road so would be looking at cars in the 50mph zone.

The camera needs a nice straight lengh of road in order to be able to focus on the car and get an accurate reading.

As long as your speedo wasn't showing over 55mph (allowing for the usual 10% speedo calibration error built into cars) you should be ok.

the only 40 sign on there is a rectangle below a triangle warning of a bend, it say max speed, i wish i could remember what i saw on my speedo but all i can remember was braking down to 50 and watching the bmw behind

the lane i was in was empty the car infront had just passed the van, which makes me think he had enough time to sight his laser on my plate (being the first car in the lane)

is it true that they can do "data spots" they sit in a ideal location and measure the ammount of speeders yet dont actually prosecute or give notice? see it more as a warning

Yeah that means its only a recommendation that you do 40mph going round the bend :) dont worry about it. Thats where I did my driving lessons and it was my instructor that told me that

i dont know why its still 40, given technology and tyres and cars these days taking that corner at 40 is a tad unecessary imo

i dont know why its still 40, given technology and tyres and cars these days taking that corner at 40 is a tad unecessary imo

As I said because of the triangle its only a recommendation that you do 40mph at the bend but you wont get done for doing 50mph

Mobile speed cameras are never positioned so that if a motorist were to brake suddenly upon seeing the camera it would cause a collision, therefore they are usually located on a striate piece of road with a constant speed limit. No excuses for exceeding the speed limit. :)

• Like 1

Mobile speed cameras are never positioned so that if a motorist were to brake suddenly upon seeing the camera it would cause a collision, therefore they are usually located on a striate piece of road with a constant speed limit. No excuses for exceeding the speed limit. :)

Indeed, the cameras are there to stop accidents not cause them.

The van would be aiming quite a distance up the road so would be looking at cars in the 50mph zone.

The camera needs a nice straight lengh of road in order to be able to focus on the car and get an accurate reading.

As long as your speedo wasn't showing over 55mph (allowing for the usual 10% speedo calibration error built into cars) you should be ok.

They say the cameras used to be set to go off at 10% + 2mph (57mph in a 50mph limit) was this true?

Then there was talk of "zero tolerance" - are there national guidelines for this or does it depend which county etc you are in?

10% but no + 2 mph any more.

ok cheers guys i say come what may now

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club