Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Colour Coding

Fiesta1.25

Hi all, I have a mk6 fiesta without the colour coded trim, just the black textured plastic wing mirrors,door bump strips etc, I was just wondering if its possible to colour code them using rattle cans? Any advice will be appreciated.

Yes it is you just need to make sure you use the right plastic primer and obviously use your paint code to get the right colour the apply a clear lacquer. Ive done it on my fiesta ill post a few pics tomorrow for you

Hi dan, cheers for the info :-) I would appreciate seeing some photos of yours, did you do it yourself? Are the door bump strips easy to remove? I have a pre facelift but want to fit the facelift strips(do you know if this is possible)? Also when I bought my car I didn't get the owners handbook so don't know my paint code, although I believe it's called tonic blue, would that be enough info for Halfords to give me the correct colour?

The problem is with Ford that there'll be about 6 different shades of tonic blue lol you can get your paint code off the actual car itself from the VIN sticker which is normally on one of the door posts. I didn't do my exterior plastic trims myself but I did my interior and did a pretty decent job although I messed the first attempt up. So far on the exterior ive had the front grill, bumpers and wing mirrors colour coded and plan on getting the bump strips and door handles done if I decide to keep the car. I might be getting an ST in the next few months. Im not sure about the facelift strips but im going into a Ford garage tomorrow so ill ask them if they'll fit im pretty sure theyre the same. If you were to remove and colour code your existing ones I believe you'd need to buy new strips Im pretty sure theres a metal strip in them that bends when you remove the bump strip. The only way around that would be to thoroughly mask around the bump strips and paint them in place. Id wait until the weather improves though if you want to make a decent job of it your best leaving 24 hours in between applying the primer coat, the actual colour and then the lacquer. That was my mistake the first time I tried to get ahead of myself and do it as quick as possible. Take your time and be patient with it and youll do a better job. Like I said wait till your gona get 3 days of decent weather unless obviously you've got a garage then that probs wouldnt be so much of an issue

And make sure you dont do it on a windy day lol trying to get an even coat when the winds blowing the spray all over the place is a nightmare lol

The thing to remember is if you mess up your first attempt its fairly easy/cheap to get hold of replacement trims for the mk6 so dont worry too much as I found out practice makes perfect :) the paint code is normally a 2 digit code it can be a number and letter or 2 numbers etc its normally the second box up from the bottom on the vin sticker I think

Cheers guys, I didn't know about the metal strip attached to the door trim dan, cheers for that one :-) I will have to be telly careful, I'm sure I read somewhere that some heat with a hair dryer to soften the adhesive makes it a bit easier, I'm in Scotland so the chances of one decent calm dry day is pretty slim never mind three days on the trot lol, I would really appreciate if you did ask the ford dealer(when you're there) about the facelift door trim fitting prefacelift :-)

Cheers for the link stoney I will check that now so I will hopefully have my correct paint code tomorrow :-)

Im from Scotland too and I managed to get the majority of my interior done through the summer last year but I did leave it abit late in the year so ive still got the curved bit of my dash to paint

Small world lol I'm in west Lothian,

Would you say Halfords paints are ok or would you recommend going to ford?

I used Halfords and didnt have any problems. Make sure you get the right plastic primer. Its the grey one you need not the White one

Cool glad to hear the Halfords paints will be ok hopefully will be a good match for my paint code. Defo will make sure I get the correct primer as the last thing I want is flakey paint :-/

I used the wrong stuff at first and ended up having to sand the bit id painted right down to bare plastic again which was a nightmare lol

Lol I hope I don't make the same mistake or else it will look terrible :-/

Like I said if you do mess up you can easily just buy the bit again from eBay or something for next to nothing :)

Sounds good :-) and if the paint finish is a good one then it will make a huge difference :-)

post-37948-0-19345800-1363449071_thumb.j

post-37948-0-99098700-1363449091_thumb.j

Front grill and plastic front bumper colour coded when I had the body kit bumper attached to it :)

post-37948-0-05208200-1363449188_thumb.j

Colour coded wing mirrors

cool thanks for uploading the photos dan :) the colour match and quality of the finish looks minted :)

i have the two part bumper (with the black textured lower section) did you remove the lower section and attatch the bodykit bumper to top part of the bumper?

I had the 2 part bumper aswel with the plastic bit at the bottom. The body kit I got fixed to that bottom bit of the bumper. I think they took the full front bumper off and just resprayed the full lot including the black plastic bottom section

If you look at the about me section on my profile theres a link to my albums for my car which shows it before and after

Cool I might just spray the lower section of my bumpers, I replaced the lower section front with one with fog surrounds so I could fit the front foglights, I wish I had thought ahead to the colour coding back then though lol, at least I know that the finished result looks good :-)

I had a look at your before and after pictures,looks like a minted car you have there:-) I have been wanting to fit facelift rear lights too(do you have a wiring guide)? And also I've been looking at the Lockwood dials too , were they easy to fit? I'm not too keen on the white its more the blue lights I'm after(to go with the blue switches on my dash), I'm sure I saw somewhere that its possible to scrape the green filter off the speedo numbers?

I wanted to fit fog lights aswel but then realised after I fitted my bodykit that you cant fit foglights to that bumper lol if id realised idve got a new bumper before I fitted the bodykit. The car looks alright im dying for some decent weather so I can give it a right good clean lol and take some fully upto date pictures off it. The Lockwood dial kits an absolute doddle to fit if you go to the fiesta guides section I've done a guide for the Lockwood kit and for the facelift brakelight conversions :) you can get the dial kit in silver and black aswell with with the blue illumination i think. When the weathers better im going to update the guide for the brakelights to a more detailed one.

I'd also recommend a filler primer too for any trim areas that have a textured effect, that way you can have it looking like a panel rather than just a painted dash :P

Cheers for the info dav :-) is that just standard stuff that I could pick up in Halfords and the like? Do I have to put a primer on top of the "filler primer"?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club