Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 Fiesta - Engine Malfunction???

cookie2508

Evening all,

I'm new to this so we'll see how this goes.

Got my new fiesta titanium this month, and today was driving home to a fault appear saying Engine Malfunction service Now, and the car completly loosing power, turned off the engine restarted and it was all ok.

Called Ford Assist to get them to make sure it was all okay, and the guy from the AA that came out said he couldnt find any fault or codes through his diagnostic computer.

Anyone else had this or seen this on the new fiesta?

Thanks

Probably nothing mate. I had a similar thing happen to my focus when I got it but no one could find out why. It only happend once or twice and had nothing since (2 years)

Thanks mate, the AA guy said similar actually, about his AA Transit, hopefully just a gremlin in the system, and nothing to worry about, just a bit unnerving driving when it happened out of the blue.

Suppose i can only keep an eye on it and see what happens

:)

My S1600 did this as well, restarted the engine and it didn't happen again.

I took it back to ford just to be on the safe side, they couldn't find a problem but changed some sensor as a precaution and put it down to the old one maybe faulty

My S1600 did this as well, restarted the engine and it didn't happen again.

I took it back to ford just to be on the safe side, they couldn't find a problem but changed some sensor as a precaution and put it down to the old one maybe faulty

Same thing happened my grandads new focus when he was driving home

Same fix as well

• 1 month later...

Evening all,

I'm new to this so we'll see how this goes.

Got my new fiesta titanium this month, and today was driving home to a fault appear saying Engine Malfunction Service Now, and the car completly loosing power, turned off the engine restarted and it was all ok.

Called Ford Assist to get them to make sure it was all okay, and the guy from the AA that came out said he couldnt find any fault or codes through his diagnostic computer.

Anyone else had this or seen this on the new fiesta?

Thanks

I had the exact same problem as yourself a few weeks ago and the fault was the brake switch connection. if you look at the brake pedal there are two switches the multi plugs that go into them are sometimes loose and require taken out and pushed right home and possibly cable tied in place.

Had the same with my first Fiesta (2009). Quite often go an Engine Malfunction error. Never left a code though and the dealer never solved it.

Hi, I can't see how any of the replies actually are relevant, they are mostly from different cars, different engines and the OP doesn't say what engine he has either. If it is a diesel then it might well be related to a regeneration of the dpf, however we don't know that Personally, as I have no reports of engine malfunctions with the 2013 Fiesta in other forums, I'd treat it is a one off, just a clitch.

• 2 months later...

I have had my new Fiesta Titanium-X for 3 months, had this engine malfunction problem from a week after purchase, garage checked out told me they were aware of the problem and awaiting a fix. It's going back in this week as now not only do we get the engine malfunction, we couldn't lock the car on 2 occasions without restarting the engine and also the ipod dock no longer works properly just crashes.

This is completely unacceptable in a new vehicle , anyone else had these other symptoms ?

• 2 weeks later...

We bought our Focus 1.0 Eco boost in March 2013, since then the same 'Engine Malfunction' light has appeared several times (over 20 easily already). We loose power in the car and then its starts ok as soon as we re start it.

The fault never logs on the diagnosis report and it has been in the garage twice, both times have lead to nothing they can do. We have since started taking photo's of the screen and evidence of date and times incase we need to pursue further.

We strangely got a call from the sales dept saying they recognised the car and were we having problems with it?They are now looking at numbers to replace it. We have said we have lost confidence in the car and that it is not of merchable quality and not fit for purpose.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the car in May, been having this problem a lot. Been to Ford they can't find a fault. AA been and they can't find a fault. Going back to Ford on Friday. If they can't find anything, I'm leaving the car and giving them the keys. If they think it's ok, they can have it and drive it, I've had too many near misses to trust driving it anywhere!!!!

Hello all,

I have had this problem too and mine is now hoepfully fixed! I have a 2013 fiesta Ecoboost 1ltr The light/warning kept coming on/going off so took it back 3 times. The final time i told them i did not want it back until i knew it was safe. They drove it around for a week as the diagnostic computer showed nothing. Eventually the light/warning came on whilst they had it and they plugged it in whilst the light/warning was actually showing on the car. This did give a Fault Code! Mine was something to do with the throttle body and has now been replaced. I only had it fixed this week but so far so good! I really hope this helps someone to get their car fixed too!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a fiesta 2013 that has come up with the engine malfunction and the spanner sign 4 times. I have had it since 7th of April and have done 2800 miles. It's been back to the garage and they couldn't find a fault. It happened again a week ago and this time it spluttered to a stop. It started again and it's now back in the garage. They are saying they can't do anything unless it comes up with the fault and plan to drive it around until the fault comes up. Meanwhile I am paying for a car that I am not using and I am not very happy at all.

Anyone else noticed this seems to be happening to new members who's only post is about this engine malfunction?

Just happened to me this afternoon, Engin malufunction service now cam up with a nice little orange spanner. So i turned the car off and started it back over. Was luck caus ei was in germany (living in france) and i could not have called assistance with my phone!!

I though it was the 20 000 Km service warning as i am a 19 200km now, but apparently not... its going in for service in two days so i will mention it. I hope this wont happen when overtaking on the motorway.

Mine is a Zetec diesel econetic 1.5 and i get no warning lamps but it would not rev, tick over ok but not rev, done this three times, also had revs droping from 800 rpm to 300 on one occasion. Has not done it for a little while now but when it does i have to take it back to the garage. I also get a warning sound go off some times but no warning lamp go on.

Fiesta zs... that was/is my fear with mine. The garage has changed the engine throttle body after I sent a letter saying I was handing it back if they didn't come up with a solution. Because it didn't come up with a fault whilst they had it for a week, they are not sure that it has cured it. Meanwhile I daren't do any more than potter around town. So far it only did it for me whilst driving slowly in traffic.

took the car in yesterday and they didnt find anything, they said that if i have the issue while im around the garage i have to come straight to them without switching the car off and back on so the warning is still there. like usual: no warning on the screen = no problem on the computer...sucks. i mean they can make cars that stop by themslves but they cant have a program that doesnt stock all the error codes...

anyways, i think you might on to something as i was in a traffic jam for 5 minutes, reving up moving 5 meters and stopping. I eventually had to turn the Stop start off.

I don't think that it's the stopping and starting that causes the engine malfunction as I drive to and from work in traffic every working day. The stop start function rarely works though saying that I have noticed that since I've had the car back that it works more often than not.

The last time mine did it I was barely moving so no way would I have been able to drive it to the garage and I doubt that the engine would have stayed on long enough to get a tow truck to me. I had to pull off a main rd to avoid it coming to a stop.

oh i was still able to get up to 50km per hour,only in 3rd gear instead of 1st lol I was near a ford garage should of went there it was like 200 meters infront of me. I just stopped in the road and restarted the car.

That was the same for me the first time it did it, I could have driven to the garage but instead I went home and read the handbook.

yeah i did that too, found nothing. anyways at least we arent the only ones.

I am still waiting for mine to do it again so i can get it to the garage, mine only did the no rev thing when i first started it and as luck would have it each time it has done it i have been at home. It would start ok and tick over but not rev, once at traffic lights the revs were droping to about 300 rpm but that sorted itself by the time the lights changed. I think it has been about a month since anything has gone wrong so am hoping it was just one of those things.

• 2 weeks later...

Just happened to me today,but drove normally,turned engine off and restarted and warning went off..Car has only done 2k miles

If it does it again try and drive to the nearest dealer. Wish I had done that the first time it did it. Mine had only done about 1,000 miles when it first happened.