Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 Fiesta - Engine Malfunction???

cookie2508

Anyone else noticed this seems to be happening to new members who's only post is about this engine malfunction?

And?! They are turning to this Forum, in order to find out if anyone else has the same issue! Nothing wrong with that!!

And I am not new! And I'm having the same problem with mine!

I got mine on 19th July. It's a 1.6 Titanium X Powershift (Auto) (Duratec engine).

So far, it's already been in for a fault with the Trip Computer. And the gearbox has been making some horrific noises. Yesterday they got very bad, and the car started 'juddering' whenever I accelerate from a stop.

Then I finish work today and the Engine Malfunction light popped up. Took it straight to Benfield and left it with them. Hopefully I'll get a hire car tomorrow! :( :unsure:

Poor Fifi the Fiesta....

• 1 month later...

Our 2011 Ford Fiesta has had problem after problem in the Power Train, Transmission and CV Joints as well are now a problem. These problems started at the 30K-40K mark. We went to trade it in for another car at another Ford Dealership, other than the one we bought it from, just to see what they would offer, wouldnt even give us a thousand dollars trade in value, the sales rep said the car was too dangerous to drive, unsafe!!! We wrote to Ford CEO/Manufacturer about the issue, called the dealer, Sunrise Ford of Fort Pierce, to remedy the matter and they never responded. NEVER EVER WILL BUY ANOTHER FORD FIESTA...Their a heap of scrap metal!!!

PS Check out the national Highway Safety Website on all the complaints about these cars if you dont believe this post.

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought a Ford Fiesta Zetec 2013, this is my 6 ford car . I have had it just over a week now, just got in it and started the car and it has come up engine malfunction. I have rang them and they say to bring them car into them tomorrow, I will post an update when I have been.

I had this with my 2013 Fiesta PowerShift Automatic.

That was the beginnings of thing to come. Gearbox has been grinding, making the car judder and struggle to change gear. They've replaced the clutch and she's now back in again for the 4th time after going wrong AGAIN after 2 days.

Apparently, this fault is happening up & down the country and in America, where the car has just been released. Ford ARE aware of it, though they are not admitting to customer's that they are aware. So if they fob you off by saying that they've done a 'Software Update' - It's rubbish. The same thing will happen again shortly after. Keep a VERY keen eye on it!

Is yours also Automatic Patricia??

• Like 1

Yes it's a automatic which I traded my Fiesta titanium for, I had no problems with that cat or any of my other ford cars.

It's a new style Dual Clutch Gearbox that is dropping to bits worldwide!

It's called Getrag Dual Clutch (Powershift) if you google it, there's loads of info on it x

• Like 1

Update : I didn't drive my car for 2 days and when I got in it the error was gone.

• 1 month later...

Evening all,

I'm new to this so we'll see how this goes.

Got my new fiesta titanium this month, and today was driving home to a fault appear saying Engine Malfunction Service Now, and the car completly loosing power, turned off the engine restarted and it was all ok.

Called Ford Assist to get them to make sure it was all okay, and the guy from the AA that came out said he couldnt find any fault or codes through his diagnostic computer.

Anyone else had this or seen this on the new fiesta?

Thanks

Hi, new to this too,

My 2010 fiesta titanium started doing the same thing, very annoying! had various garage diagnostics, at a cost, new coil pack, ht leads, spark plugs. Breaks down everyday at some point! light came on again, limped to garage and finally a fault code! hallelujah! going in Mon for new sensor at a cost! although they can't guarantee work, next issue is throttle body/housing!

will let you know, so far the cost to try and put right is £350! next time i will buy a Japanese car!

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone - just joined today as I too have a malfunctioning 2013 Eco-boost Fiesta! Ford service couldn't find a fault code the first time it happened (half way across a major roundabout between 2 motorways - limping across with beeping cars all around - scary!). I was told it probably wouldn't ever happen again. Driving for 5 hours down to Brighton straight after was a worry - but all was fine.

However it happened twice in less than half an hour yesterday. Once when I hadn't even driven forward in the carpark, and again half way home! Not happy. It's good to know I'm not the only one after seeing this on here.

It is going to the garage again next week so I am going to refer them to here to have a look. I have seen 2 posts that mention the throttle body. I sympathise with the person who said they were going to take it to Ford and leave the keys!

Fingers crossed I can get it sorted as I have lost confidence in what otherwise is a car that is heaven to drive.

Any tips greatly appreciated

Well Ford have since replaced my entire vehicle after this recurring fault, and I now have a 2014 Ecoboost PowerShift Fiesta.

However, I must point out that the Fiesta I had that was malfunctioning, was NOT an Ecoboost engine, it was a Duratec.... Not sure if that makes any difference. In any case, they have made significant improvements to the 2014 model other than the engine. All of the electrics and the Sync system as been totally overhauled and it is absolutely fab! Keep on at them and get the vehicle replaced!

Good luck!

I'm thinking about replacing my Mondeo for a Fiesta but this issue is putting me off. Before my Mondeo I had a 2005 Focus which has endless problems with the engine warning light coming on and then going into limp home mode and it's the main reason I replaced it with a Mondeo (my dealer did a straight swap of the cars).

Tracey's comment above says that there are differences between the 2013 and 2014 Fiestas but does anyone have any more details.

My nearest Ford garage deals in nearly new cars only and they currently only have 2013 Fiestas in stock. I'm wondering if it is worth waiting for them to get in 2014 stock.

Also, I'm guessing that most of their Fiestas are ex-demo models since they have low mileage (2-5k miles) and are about a year old. Is this something to avoid since I don't want a car with a turbo which has been badly treated. Would Ford's warranty would cover turbo problems under the three year warranty?

Well Ford have since replaced my entire vehicle after this recurring fault, and I now have a 2014 Ecoboost PowerShift Fiesta.

However, I must point out that the Fiesta I had that was malfunctioning, was NOT an Ecoboost engine, it was a Duratec.... Not sure if that makes any difference. In any case, they have made significant improvements to the 2014 model other than the engine. All of the electrics and the Sync system as been totally overhauled and it is absolutely fab! Keep on at them and get the vehicle replaced!

Good luck!

Hi Tracey, i've just ordered a new 1 litre powershift fiesta which i will get hopefully in September, How do you find the MPG on the auto, there is alot of references to the manual versions but not much about the powershift. Honest johns website states 43mpg, I would be happy with that but just wondered what sort of economy you were getting.

cheers

DEFINTELY DEFINITELY DEFINITELY wait for a 2014 model! The improvements are tremendous! Even things like handling & stability, steering, efficiency, safety... The list is endless.

Maybe consider a lease of a new Fiesta? Then if the car is unsuitable, you can hand it back and demand something else. Also, quite often the insurance (& tax, altho new Fiesta is exempt) is all included too, aswell as breakdown, tyres, servicing, repairs, windscreen - the lot. For the same amount that you would pay monthly for one on finance. And you get a brand new car every 3 years.

Just a thought :)

Nashy - I am current only getting 27.7mpg with the 1.0 Ecoboost Powershift, however there's only 1,000 miles on clock. With my 1.6 Duratec Powershift, it took until about 6-8,000 miles to see an improvement. At which point I got about 36-37mpg :)

DEFINTELY DEFINITELY DEFINITELY wait for a 2014 model! The improvements are tremendous! Even things like handling & stability, steering, efficiency, safety... The list is endless.

Maybe consider a lease of a new Fiesta? Then if the car is unsuitable, you can hand it back and demand something else. Also, quite often the insurance (& tax, altho new Fiesta is exempt) is all included too, aswell as breakdown, tyres, servicing, repairs, windscreen - the lot. For the same amount that you would pay monthly for one on finance. And you get a brand new car every 3 years.

Just a thought :)

Thanks Tracey. Leasing is a good idea actually. I'll speak to another, slightly less local, new Ford dealer about that.

Nashy - I am current only getting 27.7mpg with the 1.0 Ecoboost Powershift, however there's only 1,000 miles on clock. With my 1.6 Duratec Powershift, it took until about 6-8,000 miles to see an improvement. At which point I got about 36-37mpg :)

Blimey !! I don't expect too much but i hope i get more than that, Thanks

I have done a lot of research on the fuel efficiency of this model, as I was quite disappointed at first. And the general consensus is to be prepared for very poor fuel efficiency for the first 10,000 miles. Then truly exceptional efficiency thereafter....

Hi Everyone - just joined today as I too have a malfunctioning 2013 Eco-boost Fiesta! Ford service couldn't find a fault code the first time it happened (half way across a major roundabout between 2 motorways - limping across with beeping cars all around - scary!). I was told it probably wouldn't ever happen again. Driving for 5 hours down to Brighton straight after was a worry - but all was fine.

However it happened twice in less than half an hour yesterday. Once when I hadn't even driven forward in the carpark, and again half way home! Not happy. It's good to know I'm not the only one after seeing this on here.

It is going to the garage again next week so I am going to refer them to here to have a look. I have seen 2 posts that mention the throttle body. I sympathise with the person who said they were going to take it to Ford and leave the keys!

Fingers crossed I can get it sorted as I have lost confidence in what otherwise is a car that is heaven to drive.

Any tips greatly appreciated

Threatening to hand in the keys did the trick as it's been fine.

I have done a lot of research on the fuel efficiency of this model, as I was quite disappointed at first. And the general consensus is to be prepared for very poor fuel efficiency for the first 10,000 miles. Then truly exceptional efficiency thereafter....

I'm on just over 6700 miles and now getting around 44 mpg with round town and a 40 mile motorway run.

Which is still nowhere near what's on paper, but a vast improvement on the Duratec at 6700 miles! That was about 30mpg! :)

• 1 month later...

I have a Fiesta Eco on a 63 plate and this just happened to me on my way home, after I stopped the engine and waited 10 minutes I started up with no issue but it came on again after 10 minutes and I started losing power. I purchased this car new last October and when I contacted the dealership {the biggest in the East midlands} I was told they could get it in Monday 4th August today is the 27th July, when I stated this wasn't good enough I was asked if I could take it to Melton Mowbray 15 miles away, I then asked if a courtesy car was available as I need to be mobile only to be told "no" so how do I get back from Melton????. I have read people saying that they have driven since with no further issue but how much do you trust doing this if you have to get to places like Birmingham and London.

• 2 weeks later...

After my previous post I called Ford assistance who came and stated it was the switches by the accelerator pedal and promptly declared he had fixed the problem and it was safe to drive, subsequently driving home from a meal for my wifes birthday the same night it happened again. Ford assistance came out again and this time he recovered the vehicle to the nearest Ford garage, on getting to the garage the fault happened again and despite my asking the service reception to see if a mechanic would like to see for himself they said no I also mentioned this forum and the problem identified and they said there wasn't a recognised problem as far as Ford was concerned. The following day the garage said that the computer showed no fault and they had taken it for a test drive and there wasn't an issue, despite this time my saying that the Ford assistance mechanic had given them the fault codes and I wasn't prone to fantasy they insisted I collect the car. On collecting my car I drove no more than 1 mile before the fault again happened with loss of power and the car missing and the engine sounding awful. I did no more than drove straight back to the garage parked in front of the main entrance clocking the drive off and went inside leaving the engine running and misfiring and started complaining loudly about being sent away in a car that wasn't right, surprise surprise someone came out and actually witnessed it straight away this time, 2 days later and I have just had a call telling me the throttle body housing had been replaced after they had rung Fords direct emergency line and being told to do so straight away, not bad for a problem Ford allegedly don't recognise.

Hello I'm also a new member and am also complaining about the engine malfunction in my 2013 ecoboost zetec. It is the same loss of power and yes it is very scary when the first time it happens is on overtaking. Have been back to dealer twice without success. It seems that to get anything done I am going to have to resort to the measures outlined in earlier posts.

Another issue that has bugged me for years through different marks of fiesta. Why is there asymmetry in the traffic indicator cancellation between turning left and turning right? It shows at its most annoying when indicating right at a roundabout. The signal cancels with slight left hand turn on the approach requiring to re signal the right hand turn. This also occurs with a slight left hand turn on approach to a junction indicating a right hand turn. This does not happen with a slight right hand turn to a junction indicating a left hand turn. Have tried for years to get Ford to explain why this is so to no avail. I demonstrated at dealers that all fiestas do this and so this is a design flaw and not a random fault. Does anyone have any info on this?

Grumpian and anyone else with this issue, I have just picked my car back up {see prev posts } and all seems ok so far, The receptionist at the service desk told me that the mechanics had checked all my cables and fuses and still couldn't identify the fault even though the message and fault occurred when they took it for a test drive, they then rang Fords hotline who told them to replace the Throttle body housing immediately. In previous calls to my Ford dealership they told me they had no notifications of any issue regarding this problem but it appears to me the Help line are more than aware so stand your ground and insist they ring the Hotline for guidance.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club