Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering Remote Control Issues - Buttons Not Always Responding

pcdj

I've noticed since I bought my mk7 titanium last week (it's a 58 plate) that the radio remote control buttons on the left side of my steering wheel only appear to work intermittently. The lot of them.

The cruise control buttons on the right side are fortunately working as they should.

Has anyone come across this before and does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing this/how to fix it? It's sadly out of warranty so I suspect a full replacement will be pretty expensive.

Mine did the same when i bought my car.

Source an aftermarket button from eBay or a breakers yard and change it.

Its a simple job! :)

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Any pointers on how to go about changing them over?

There are 3 torx20/25 screws you need to undo on the back of the steering wheel.

Theese 3 screws holds the plastic "V"

When they are out, you simply pull it off.. It can be a litte tricky, but it's doable.. :)

After this, it's pretty straight forward. :)

Edit:

You will also need to dismount your airbag ..

The battery must be out for 10-20 min before you start working on it...

• 1 month later...

• 7 years later...

I had this same problem on my Fiesta Mk7 (2014) soon after I bought it last month. I have seen several reasons given on this forum and suggestions including replacing the audio switch, squirting WD40, rebooting the system etc. Pressing the switch sometimes worked or not, or pressing the volume button changed channels/track and vice versa. I had tried rebooting the system etc but nothing altered. Fortunately there was a 3 month warranty from the dealer and they paid for it to be looked at by a Ford dealership. They removed the drivers airbag and diagnosed that the connector wiring was under tension and making a poor connection. They removed the tension from the wire and greased the connection and it all worked fine. Might be worth looking at if you have the same problem, but I am wary of touching any airbags!

4 hours ago, Bobr said:

witch cleaner 

Not come across that one Bob. I'm assuming it has nothing to do with ladies who practice the occult?😀

• Haha 1

Switch cleaner, yes . WD40 no, no, no. It is an insulator and will make matters worse.

5 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Not come across that one Bob. I'm assuming it has nothing to do with ladies who practice the occult?😀

I need some on the 's' key on my laptop Roger.

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club