Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reprogramme Immobiliser For 2001 Fiesta

chrisb1980

I have a 2nd hand replacement key for my 2001 fiesta zetec s.

I have re-prgammed the replacement key so the doors and boot can be operated by the 3 key fob, but am stuggling to get the car to start.

I have 2 keys (the original 3 key fob which still starts the car just doesn't open the doors anymore and a spare key).

I have tried insterting original (3 button fob) into ignition, turning off to on and then off. Then inserting spare keym turning off to on and then off. Then quickly swapping the blade from old 3 button fob to replacememt fob and inserting into ignition. I can actually get the car to start by doing this - but only this one time (I can't get the replacement key to work independantly)

Any help appreciated

if i remember correctly, you need 2 programmed keys in order to programme a new key via the ignition on/off method, otherwise you need to programme new key with diagnostic equipment...

Hi there, yes I have 2 programmed keys (one with 3 button fob, one just the key).

I'm just struggling with the actual method. As I say, I can get the car to start - but can't seem to get the new (3rd) key to programme permanently so must be a final part of the step that I am missing or doing wrong.

do both the programmed keys start the car?

if so

i'll write up the method bit later on, just in case it differs from what you have

Hi again, yes both the existing 3 button fob, and the spare (I belive its a number 5 - black key with red square at the top) start the car.

Much appreciated in advance

first should say ive never tried programming a 2nd hand key on a ford, only new ones, so need to make sure you can actually do this...you cant always reprogramme a key thats been programmed to a different vehicle...sure someone here will know the answer to that.

for immobiliser

2 working keys

insert first key, turn ignition on, then off, remove key

insert second key, turn ignition on, then off, remove key

within 20 secs, insert key to be programmed, turn ign on, then off,remove key

using newly programmed key, insert, turn ignition on, if immobiliser light flashes, then repeat procedure from beginning.

a max of 8 keys can be programmed {including max of 4 with fob}

keys can also be programmed via diagnostic plug

if still wont work, it could be possible you have reached max of programmed keys, [diagnostics will show this] so may need to have some old keys deleted [never done this, but should think its possible]

That is pretty much what i've done as in my first post. I can get the car to start with the new (replacement) key - but only the once (when i guess its in learning mode).

As soon as I stop the ignition running, and take out the key - It doesn't work on the next attempt.

BTW - when you say turn ign on - i guess you mean just to position 2 - rather than actually starting the car

yes, dont start engine...not unusual to take a few attempts before it accepts.

checking ive got this right..

you have 2 working keys, only time you managed to get the new key to start was to fit the new blade to old fob...which is a bit of a puzzle...fob/immobilizer are seperate so should be able to start car even if fob is completely detatched.

been a while since ive played with these keys, so you will probably know better than me..

is it possible for the immobilizer chip to fall out whilst you have removed the fob part of key..

i know the black key has the chip under the red square, but not sure whether the chip is sealed in or not once the fob is removed on the other keys???

plus do you actually know if its possible to reprogramme a chip that was programmed to another vehicle originally???

sorry, ignore the above, read your posts wrong plus now know transponder chip is in fob not blade section.

so if the non working remote fob starts the car and your only trying to have a key with working remote, then just swap the transponder chip with working remote..no need to programme then

or buy a new transponder, find them on eBay for under a tenner, then programme via 2 working keys

make a note of direction of chip, can be fitted back to front and wont work.

im pretty sure you cant succesfully reprogramme a 2nd hand chip.

Hi again, not quite sure what the transponder chip is - didn't want to open the actual fob up and go fiddling with stuff I don't know about.

Strange one with the programming as it feels like am almost there (as I;ve said, the car will actually start if i turn the ignition ON after putting the 2 original keys in from II to 0)

OK to change the transponder chip you have to remove the horseshoe part of both keys, then split them apart, you are then looking for something like this

post-41018-0-20973700-1364145468_thumb.j

The chip is located inside a rubber cover on the right side of the bottom half of the remote

post-41018-0-06722200-1364145609_thumb.j

Carefully pull it out, (I used a pair of tweezers), as they are made of glass and break easily, then put the working chip into the remote you want to use and build it back up.

As a side note, one reason you may not be able to programme the other chip is that it may be the wrong chip

There is another alternative and that is to change the bottom halves of both remotes.

Lets call them key A and Key B, Key A has the remote that works and key B has the chip that works,

Now split both keys into their halves and marry the top half of key A with the Bottom half of key B, then put the blade for your car on that.

Take to the car and start it, now try the remote, if that works then you've cracked it, if not pinch the good battery out of whats left of the old key and put it in the remote you've just built and try again, (You may have to re-sync it)

beat me to it :}

would be the simplest answer

• 2 weeks later...

There is another alternative and that is to change the bottom halves of both remotes.

Lets call them key A and Key B, Key A has the remote that works and key B has the chip that works,

Now split both keys into their halves and marry the top half of key A with the Bottom half of key B, then put the blade for your car on that.

Take to the car and start it, now try the remote, if that works then you've cracked it, if not pinch the good battery out of whats left of the old key and put it in the remote you've just built and try again, (You may have to re-sync it)

Hi there, that is sort of what i was doing as I only half the top half of the "replacement" fob. So I;ve tried swapping the blade between both fobs. It starts the ignition with one "my original old one", but wont open the doors, and opens the doors with the new "replacement" one - but wont start the car.

I will try swapping the transponder. Thanks

OK to change the transponder chip you have to remove the horseshoe part of both keys, then split them apart, you are then looking for something like this

attachicon.gifchip.jpg

The chip is located inside a rubber cover on the right side of the bottom half of the remote

attachicon.gifK4.jpg

Carefully pull it out, (I used a pair of tweezers), as they are made of glass and break easily, then put the working chip into the remote you want to use and build it back up.

As a side note, one reason you may not be able to programme the other chip is that it may be the wrong chip

Hey - that worked. :-)

Thanks very much

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club