Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Grinding Noise When Braking

St05

Hi all

My sister is having problems with her 2009 Fiesta Titanium brakes its a driving instructor car so its on the road all day.

The disc's were replaced at 86600 miles as were the pads and just after that the grinding noise started we have replaced the calliper and still that grinding we have also had the disc's off then on and still having a noise and it worse when there hot regardless if your braking gently or hard the grinding noise is there the car has now done 94400 miles.

If you have any suggestions it would be most welcome.

Thanks Dougie

Sounds like the New discs are maybe warped

Warped discs would result in a shimmy of the steering wheel when braking..

A grinding noise when braking can only be from the pads or pad metal mounting plates coming into contact with the disc face.

If they have been replaced and the pads have sufficient material then it could be down to the pad material being hard or sintered. Sintered pads are becoming more popular as they will not allow disc run out as they clean up the disc face each and every time you brake due to the metallic content of the pad ( The sintered content).. So this is where the noise can come from though it should not be too noticeable..

A sticking calliper can wear out new pads in no time at all so its worth stripping and checking all parts and make sure all sliding parts are clean and well lubricated.

HTH.

• 1 year later...

I have a 2014 Fiesta and it's so new its only done about 1000km, however I have noticed in recent days that there is a grinding noise coming from one of the rear breaks. This happens also at very slow speeds, e.g. in city traffic. Is this normal? The only other time I have really experienced this was when I test drove a Punto that had been sitting outdoors on a lot for some months and had been unused.

Sorry for the naivety but it is the first car I have owned :)

Cheers,

Rod

Try an emergency stop from a decent speed on a quiet road when it's safe.

Rear brakes get used less than the fronts and in prolonged light driving they can need a good hard brake to clean them (although this is more true od disks than drums to be fair). Worth a try to see if this cures it before you start paying for looking at it.

Brake pad brackets that are held into the brake carrier need to be cleaned and put copper slip on them. Put a shamfer on the pads and take the paint off with a file where it sits in the brackets.

If that doesnt work then the other common fault for that noise is the intermidiate shaft bearing on the o/s driveshaft.. should be a TSB on ford etis.

The noise transmits into the break. Ive changed hundreds of them and when the brakes squeak

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Ford OC mobile app

Take it back to the dealer as its still under warranty. You don't have to touch it or pay for it.

Thanks for the tips. I will try the emergency stop first then perhaps take it back to the dealer, for now I'd rather rely on the warranty. Although strangely today the noise was not so evident so perhaps it will pass. I will give it a few days and see what happens.

I had what seemed like a brake grinding problem on my mk6 facelift, would be loud/quiet depending on how much I'd driven the car that day until it reached the point where it was constantly noisy...

If it sounds like it's on/off in like with wheel rotation is could be the o/s driveshaft bearing (problem with mine) went at around 85k

The part itself and all the new screws/fixings from a main ford dealer is around £92-98 inc. vat it's worth ruling that out!

You could take it to an independent garage on the 'good garage scheme' and explain the issues you're having - should be able to have a quick look and be able to tell you what the problem is within 5/10 minutes!

Hope that helps and you get it sorted!

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Im suprised if its still under warranty. Your car is out of the 3 years and 60k miles manufacture warranty. And you had your brakes replaced nearly 10k miles ago.

Alot can happen within that time when brakes are concerned. Not saying youve done anythin. But most garages will think/say that. Plus brakes are a wear and tear item. They would only be covered within the first few thousand miles

Thanks Kevzs, in my case I have now about 1200km on the clock (yes I live in mainland Europe), so it should still be under warranty. I will find out again today as I have a reasonable journey ahead of me this afternoon. I also noticed the breaks are a bit harder than when before the noise started, i.e. a lot more sensitive to small taps.

If there is a problem hopefully the warranty will cover it, so far the distance traveled is very low and the car technically has a 5 year warranty on it, although if it is wear and tear then as others have said that will probably be excluded later on.

In general how have people found the Ford Warranty scheme? I have seen other complaints on here about it.

Im suprised if its still under warranty. Your car is out of the 3 years and 60k miles manufacture warranty. And you had your brakes replaced nearly 10k miles ago.

Alot can happen within that time when brakes are concerned. Not saying youve done anythin. But most garages will think/say that. Plus brakes are a wear and tear item. They would only be covered within the first few thousand miles

He's driving a 2014 car

He's driving a 2014 car

Read the origonal post an the car is 09. Then a seperate person has a 14 plate. Pick an choose

Please don't fight over tips for me:) Anyway I'd like to thank everyone for their advice. The breaks seem to have improved again yesterday and the grinding has stopped. Also they are not as harsh as before so hopefully the problem as resolved itself. Anyway if not I will take it back to the garage.

• 7 months later...

I have a 2014 Fiesta and it's so new its only done about 1000km, however I have noticed in recent days that there is a grinding noise coming from one of the rear breaks. This happens also at very slow speeds, e.g. in city traffic. Is this normal? The only other time I have really experienced this was when I test drove a Punto that had been sitting outdoors on a lot for some months and had been unused.

Sorry for the naivety but it is the first car I have owned :)

Cheers,

Rod

I had a grinding from the drivers side rear. I removed the drum and found the automatic adjustment arm in 2 peices and the spring lying in the bottom. I cant work out what happened or how the adjustment arm came off it's mounting.

I had to buy an adjustment kit for £33.72 from my local dealer just to get a new arm. The kit came with a new adjuster and the spring but I only needed he arm.

OldArm.jpg

NewArm.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hi, I have just bought a second hand Fiesta and had the same issue, constant rumbling noise, the noise changed with speed and when you apply the brakes it gets even crunchier.... I found the issue to be over inflated tyres. Mine were up to 41 PSI all round, so dropped them down to 31 front and 26 back and the noise has all but disappeared. I get a small noise between 30 and 40 otherwise fine, so now suspect either wheels need balancing or need to replace a tyre due to being run way over pressure. Hope this helps others.

1 hour ago, Woodley said:

Hi, I have just bought a second hand Fiesta and had the same issue, constant rumbling noise, the noise changed with speed and when you apply the brakes it gets even crunchier.... I found the issue to be over inflated tyres. Mine were up to 41 PSI all round, so dropped them down to 31 front and 26 back and the noise has all but disappeared. I get a small noise between 30 and 40 otherwise fine, so now suspect either wheels need balancing or need to replace a tyre due to being run way over pressure. Hope this helps others.

These topics haven't been updated for at least 2 years, the problem has probably been solved lol.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club