Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Systems Failure 1.6 Tdci

minnis

I think the 110s all do, but don't quote me on that. And I also think some 90s might and some might not..

it is recommended to clean your DPF with a good run down the motorway keeping the car at 3k revs for 20-30mins as said previously.

If your in the tyne and wear area, i can probably set your car away to carry out a forced regen (the car wont move)

Dealers have kinda locked this down in terms of fixing...you can either:

- remove filter and get a good remap of car to take it out

- replace fluid yourself, take filter off and power wash it and get dealer/indy or IDS holder to reset counters

- go to dealers and spend ££££

but in terms of which engines i know PSA do not fit DPF's to the 90bhp engine but 110 and above does...being that ford use some PSA engines this may be true.

• 1 year later...

Dude the same problem to me , idk what to do . i'm afraid to travel long way coz it can cause troubles out there , !Removed! situation !

• 6 months later...

hi i have recently brought a focus 06 on a 06 plate tdci zetec 1.6 had the car since Friday 22nd may so just over a day and my engine system fault has come on heard a bang then lose of power managed to get home and was barely able to get up to speed i live near a few 70 mph roads as work daily use the roads to get to work the fan was still going when i got home for a round 2-3 mins after the engine had been off and keys taken out looked in the engine and when i rubbed down the inter cooler pipe the fan stopped have noticed a small plastic gromit pressed up against the pipe and there's a bit of rust but not willing to drive much till i can get a mechanic to look it over

please reply asap and no one say take car back as i have explored that option and all i got was contact warranty which is now closed till Tuesday and i have 3 days of work and no other car to use

• 7 months later...

I had the same carbon smell coming through the blowers and it turned out to be a blowing injector. There was a load of black carbon built up around the injector. I just cleaned it out removed the injector and replaced the injector seals. Got them from LEC for a few quid. Maybe in your case it was the DPF, I do give mine a hammering so the DPF doesn't tend to get clogged up so much.

• 1 year later...

So what should you do when this happens. My wife just rang me - she was driving at 70mph on the bypass when the engine lost power and the "Engine Systems Failure" message came on - the car limped for 5-10s then power picked up again. She drove it slowly into work not knowing what to do.

Do we have to take it to the garage immediately? We are supposed to be going away in it tomorrow for a 1 week holiday. It was mentioned here that the car maybe needs to be driven at speed for half an hour - it gets driven like this regularly up and down the motorway 2 hours to Leeds and back most weeks and my wife uses it for work and drives it around 60-70 on the bypass every day.

Is it advisable to drive it at all? Drive it but expect it to re-occur? Maybe it won't re-occur? Drive it and if it does reoccur - don't worry - it will pass and get the garage to look at it in a week after we return from holiday? Is there a risk the car will just stop and not be able to be driven?

I've no idea about whether our 06 TDCI 1.8 Focus has a DPF or even if this is anything to do with the problem? I've used a local general purpose long established garage for about 10+ years - I never use main dealers. I'll give them a ring in a minute.

Any help appreciated.

The 1.8 TDCI is a Ford engine and wasn't ever fitted with a DPF from the factory so no worries for you in that respect.

In relation to the issue you've described the car will usually record error codes (or DTC's) that can be read using a reader.  It is possible to do it yourself as documented in plenty of threads on here using a cheap reader.  The most straightforward option would be to get your trusted garage to read any codes and it should hopefully give them a clue as to the root cause.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club