Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can You Figure Out What The Problem Is?

xFiestaLoverx

Okay, my fiesta 1.25 zetec makes a whiney kind of sound when in Neutral and the clutch is fully engaged or lifted up.

http://yourlisten.com/channel/content/16965229/car

Does anyone know what this is, is it the alternator or is it the clutch or something else?

Edit:

The noise comes from the lower right side under the bonnet.

Its stumped 58 viewers, wow, sounds serious. :unsure:

If its constant while the car is running I'd say alternator or water pump bearings.

I'd suggest you obtain a mechanics stethoscope and test various places on the engine until you get the source of the noise.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=120842366255

• Like 2

Consider it bought, thanks.

got one off amazon, will have it tomorrow, so glad I got Prime.

Keep us updated as to your findings.

Many people don't do a simple listening test on components, the sounds a car makes can be very revealing.

Its stumped 58 viewers, wow, sounds serious. :unsure:

I did not want to "jump in" when i did not know what it was, (could be a lot of things - and hard to track down!) other potential things it could be is the clutch thrust bearing/ CSC or the power steering pump (put this is likeley to change note when you turn the wheel)

Has the car had any recent work done?

Hi, no work done.

I did read that the alternator is in the area that the noise is coming from so I think it may be that, ill keep you guys updated when I get the instrument tomorrow.

The noise goes away after a few mins of driving though.

Try spraying some WD40 onto the jockey wheels that guide the belt, these sometimes have a short life. How many miles has the car done?

Have you checked the belt for rubbing? My water pump went a few weeks back and didn't make any unusual noise really, my belt is a bit squeaky when cold but yours isn't squeaking, i would have thought that if the alternator was rough you would hear it more clearly. as other have said i would give the pulleys and guides a quick squirt of lube, and maybe even the alternator pulley while its running then it may stop and you will have your answer.

If its constant while the car is running I'd say alternator or water pump bearings.

I'd suggest you obtain a mechanics stethoscope and test various places on the engine until you get the source of the noise.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=120842366255

A great piece of kit - although I don't own that exact one so I can't comment on how well it works.

I would also have the belt off for a look at each pulley/bearing to see if you can find one that feels rough