Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problems Starting When Cold And Engine Cutting Out Whilst Driving

Rocketman

Hi everyone ! just become a new member and own a st 170 and 1.8 edge on a 2004. Having problems with the focus 1.8 edge petrol that has covered 84,000 miles and is totally mint condition which i have owned for over two years and problem free. The car now has problems starting from cold and you have to push down on accelerator a little to get it started. Once running it idles fine and pulls as normal but after being like this for about three weeks it has started to cut out when slowing down for roundabouts and traffic lights! Car starts fine emediatly after it has stalled but quit often will happen again at next junction or set of lights. Had code reader on the car today and as expected did not bring up any fault codes. battery is brand new and alternator is charging i think as it does not have a battery warning light on when car is started. Replaced spark plugs thinking it could need a new set but no difference. The engine does not misfire so did'nt go any further and replace leads or coil pack. Fuel pump i can hear working when switching on ignition which primes injectors, however i have not replaced fuel filter which they state should be changed every 73,000 miles. Decided not to go any further with it as not sure what the problem is, the fact in mind No fault codes so i do not think it is camshaft or crankshaft sensor. Can anyone help or had same problem with a 2004 1.8 petrol focus ?

Welcome to the Forum, I moved your message to the Focus club where you're more likely to get seen and helped.

i would check for any air leaks first off..

coolant temp sensor is another possible [cyl head temp sensor if the earlier type engine] would explain poor starting and poor idle when warm, plus common not to throw a code when they play up.

Yes - check for air leaks - the pcv valve can gum up and crankcase breathers can split - worth checking (these may not cause fault codes)

Idle control valve causes bad starting and cutting out a replacement usually solves it it won't throw up fault codes very common issue