Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Illuminated Gear Knob

bridgo

im thinking of geatting a new ford illuminated gear knob for my 2011fiesta zetec, has anybody fitted one im not asking about the wiring up as ive done plenty of mods myself , im more concerned about the quality /finnish of it , is the shiney metal part of it coated or just polished steel , ive had polished gear knobs before on my old focus and it looked quite dull after a few months.

is the metal finish just polished or is it coated im thinking of scratches etc from my wedding ring .

It looks great! I have one in mine, pretty easy to hook up as well .

It looks great! I have one in mine, pretty easy to hook up as well .

How do you go about this? May have a crack at it if it's basically remove gaiter, wire it to an ignition wire and off you go :P

is the metal finish just polished or is it coated im thinking of scratches etc from my wedding ring .

It is coated, like the steering wheel inserts, but metal.

It is coated, like the steering wheel inserts, but metal.

thats great cheers thats exactly what i was hoping for, ill be looking out for one on eBay now the £75 they go for is a bit steep ,

2nt3ya.jpg

The gearknob is coated. Not that easy to scratch.

316u6w7.jpg

I haven't installed it myself but it's connected to the fusebox in the buttom right corner as shown on the picture.

The wire has its own 1amp fuse.

29opydf.jpg

When installing it you simply just dismount the plactic by the footwell aswell as the plastic connected to the gearknob. If you want more space you can dismount the glovebox.

The wire simply runs behind this plastic trim.

As far as i know, this wire comes in the box..

I hope this was helpfull..

Does it come in black? Might look a little off in an all black interior :P

2nt3ya.jpg

The gearknob is coated. Not that easy to scratch.

316u6w7.jpg

I haven't installed it myself but it's connected to the fusebox in the buttom right corner as shown on the picture.

The wire has its own 1amp fuse.

29opydf.jpg

When installing it you simply just dismount the plactic by the footwell aswell as the plastic connected to the gearknob. If you want more space you can dismount the glovebox.

The wire simply runs behind this plastic trim.

As far as i know, this wire comes in the box..

I hope this was helpfull..

I've checked out a guide for this type of connection and to be honest it scares me a little how "cowboy" it looks especially with this being a "genuine" Ford part couldn't there be a better way to fit it?

I've checked out a guide for this type of connection and to be honest it scares me a little how "cowboy" it looks especially with this being a "genuine" Ford part couldn't there be a better way to fit it?

Dad wired mine to come on with sidelights.

If you have an illuminated lighter socket you can spur off that wire instead. (light feed only not the actual socket as the amperage would be way too high)

It would definitely come on with the side lights then.

Dad wired mine to come on with sidelights.

If you have an illuminated lighter socket you can spur off that wire instead. (light feed only not the actual socket as the amperage would be way too high)

It would definitely come on with the side lights then.

Either of these two setups seems to be way safer, at least to me.

How easy would it be to splice into these wire(s)? *total electrical noob*

if your just splicing into a 12v sidelight feed scotchlocks should be fine

There are many ways to do it.. This is just how the dealer did the job.. :)

The proper way should be to strip back some insulation and solder the wires but if like me you can't solder for toffee then use scotchlock or T taps

The proper way should be to strip back some insulation and solder the wires but if like me you can't solder for toffee then use scotchlock or T taps

So don't chop the wires up and just wrap the ends around each other? Oops...

Twist joining is fine as long as no longitudinal forces are applied (need a lie down after spelling tat word, phew!)

The correct way is to strip about an inch of insulation and solder the wires together then wrap with insulation or loom tape.

If joining ends you should use heat shrink tube.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Scotch blocks are the devils child and they are the breed of bodges all over the place. They rust up and form a load on the wire as well as looking awful. As stated the proper way would be to solder to another wire and insulate it.

Doesn't the kit wire into the GEM module when from the factory?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club