Do Not Sell My Personal Information

P2303 Code

Mr Singh

my dad kept complaining that an orange light kept coming on the dash and yesterday it stayed on and its the engine management light.

plugged my laptop into the focus and read the codes. the only code logged was P2303 and a quick google later the description for the code was 'Ignition Coil "B" Primary Control Circuit Low' but no information about it.

any idea on what it could be? it definitely not plugs or the ignition coil as its running and driving fine.

its a 55 reg (2006) 1.6 petrol, 115bhp focus saloon with the variable valve timing and its done 46,000 miles

should have mentioned its had a new (genuine ford) coil pack fitted last year

hmm in that case i'm not sure

was the leads changed with the coil pack?

i'd say it be worth giving arthur a shout on this if no one else pops up

didnt replace the HT leads... should have really, i know but didnt bother

that may be your problem

someone call................as brig said when you have these replaced its easier to do the leads and plugs in one go as it can be either causing the issue so next call is to replace the leads and they arent cheap if thats done and you reset the light and it comes back on then the plug to the coil needs to be checked for brittle wiring ford know of it as they sell pigtails to fix it

hopefully my new coil back will turn up soon

i think my leads were changed just before i bought the car n me plugs was changed a few month ago in me last service

thanks guys. ill see what i can do and post back

Right... as i worked last week Friday I got Tuesday off and taught id sort my mums focus out. went to ford and priced up a set of plugs and leads... they wanted £104 for them, got them from my local motor factors for £29 (the ht leads aint bosh ones). Now with the new plugs and leads fitted it seams ok but i can feel a vibration at idle which i don't recall feeling before and its still coughing and spluttering now and then. Ill have a look at the invoice for the ignition coil and see if ford will replace it under parts warranty.

Im not sure if its connected in anyway with the EML coming on, but i looked down the leads and 3 & 4 looks good BUT 1 & 2 had what looks like green corrosion in them, not much but enough to notice it. cleaned them out with contact cleaner and lead 1 is cleaner than before but lead 2 still had green in it. the old leads are currently sat in my tool box at work so i can show the other lads and get there opinion on what they think.

Iv been in contact with my old work mate from the Leeds Jaguar dealer and he suggested, plugs and leads. After replacing them told him what it was doing and he suggested cleaning the throttle body out which i have done a while back, changing the fuel filter and putting some fuel additive in. I told him it doesn't have a fuel filter and its been run on Shell v-power since we bought it in November 2011

Any more ideas?

the coil pack from eBay a Bosch ones 29 the leads are far dearer at 69 to 80 cheap leads will not work they never do so either the cheap coil packs faulty or the cheap leads are no good most of us learned cheap parts for the coil etc cause more problems than they solve original is whats needed and a small dollop of electrical grease which proper ford ones come with already applied

the coil pack is a genuine ford part from the ford dealer on kirkstall road in leeds.

might go and get a genuine set of leads and go from there

if its a Bosch its genuine the cheap leads never seem to work though i believe they are also Bosch you will need to clear the misfire code as well

code hasnt come back as yet. might put the old leads back on and see what happend

the coil pack from ebay a bosch ones 29 the leads are far dearer at 69 to 80 cheap leads will not work they never do so either the cheap coil packs faulty or the cheap leads are no good most of us learned cheap parts for the coil etc cause more problems than they solve original is whats needed and a small dollop of electrical grease which proper ford ones come with already applied

Where dose the silicon grease go? :rolleyes:

found the invoice... we bought it in august last year, so it booked in with ford tomorrow for them to sort it under parts warranty... hopefully

went to ford on monday and guess what, NFF.

good thing is the EML has come back on and its going back to ford tomorrow

well its sorted, they fitted a new coil pack under parts warranty. still can neh believe its only lasted 8 months, but hay poo happens

• 7 years later...

So in my case the fault p2303 means the cutted wire in this connector (ignition coil)
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_dW73LQN

There are 3 cables. Try tu pull it out. It can be (in my case) it was hidden inside. The pin was broken.

This can help you
https://ffclub.ru/topic/102170/jump_600/

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club