Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help! Ford Fiesta Cutting Out

Josh2092

Hi there,

I'm new to this website and signed up as i'm having a problem with my Fiesta Zetec and wondered if anyone could possibly help me out!

Basically this has only started happening in the last 2 weeks or so. I had problems trying to start my Zetec a couple of Sundays ago, almost as if the engine didn't want to start. When i finally got the car going the rev counter was going crazy and I had to rev the engine to keep the engine going otherwise it would cut out. I finally managed to get it started after 3 attempts and it was absolutely fine afterwards.

However the Tuesday after, I was driving along and the car cut out, the steering went very heavy and the engine light came on but only for a second or two and then went back to normal before I could even react. I was at this point going down a hill whist braking around a corner.

It's been absolutely fine since then until today when I was going down a pretty steep hill. I stopped at the traffic lights at the bottom of the hill and when i stopped, the car completely cut out. The engine and battery light came on and I had to turn the key to start the engine again. When I did, the engine started fine and I was able to travel home (thank god!)

Does anyone know what this could be as i'm very concerned this could be a very costly problem. The car is absolutely fine to drive and is idling fine but this problem seems very intermittent and seems to only happen when slowing down on a hill!

Any help would be appreciated guys!

Thanks

Josh

Car Details: Ford Fiesta 1.25 Zetec [Climate] 2008

I'd suspect the idle air control valve (IAC).

Under idle conditions, a dirty or malfunctioning IAC will prevent air from passing through, which can cause sudden stalling under deceleration, rough idling and problems with getting the engine to catch on start up.

Related Symptoms

Stalls after start when engine is cold

Stalls after start when engine is hot

Stalling on deceleration

Stalls at idle

Unstable idle

Dieseling. (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieseling) or runs on after the engine is shut off

High idle

Low idle

• Like 1

Thanks Clive, I will get this checked out. Hopefully this solves then problem!

Please keep us informed of the outcome.

It's nice to know if I've got it right. :)

Will do! ... Just got home from work and it did exactly the same thing on the way home but it's only on hills which is baffling. When decelerating everywhere else on a flat (i.e- traffic lights or stop junction) it's absolutely fine and idles fine.

Just seems to be when i'm going down a hill slowing down it completely stalls but i'm able to restart the engine again after coming to a stop with no further problems!

• 2 weeks later...

im having the exact same problem, my ford fiesta 1.25 zetec 2008 does the exact same. The car idles really badly and have cut out 3 times, which include heavy steering and warning lights, switch the car back on and works fine :/ please help

the heavy steering is due to loss of pump assistance when the engine dies i would agree check the IAC valve.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

did this problem ever get resolved?

I've recently purchased a zetec s 05 plate and the same problem is happening with me, it kept cutting out when slowing down i've managed to control it by dropping down my gears one by one, but i've got the engine light on now which is currently staying on. Also I've noticed if I try pick up speed it feels that there isn't much power to the car and sort of judders when speeding up, once it reaches over 40 MPH the engine light flashes about 4/5 times then stops. anyone know what it could be?

the heavy steering is due to loss of pump assistance when the engine dies i would agree check the IAC valve.

Ive always found it a bit worrying that you lose power steering when the engine isnt running. I learned to drive in a corsa back in 2010 and you still had power steering just by having the ignition turned on. and its the same with my friends mk4 golf

Is that good or bad? haha!

Possibly fuel pump. I've read similar threads about fiestas going around corners and stalling when braking etc and they diagnosed that the fuel pump was at fault.

Just a guess but with my previous ford focus it had a dodgy spark plug connection. Here's what I did - unplug the all the ht leads (both ends on all) then replace them all in correct order, go for a drive of about 30/45mins to reset the ecu. Then turn off the ignition and wait 10 secs, engine light should clear and car be running fine. Might be worth a shot?

• 3 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi All, 

I have a Ford Fiesta Zetac and it keeps cutting out when I’m driving the the yellow. Engine warning light comes on and the yellow explanation the car eventually slows down to a standstill but it revs up and down but the car does not move. You have to turn the car off and turn it back on and it works fine again any suggestions as I have took it to numerous garages and the problem still exists thanks 

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have recently changed the IAC valve and the hose. When I start it up it starts when I use the accelerator but cuts out as soon as I take my foot off. Any ideas?

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
On 2/3/2020 at 5:07 PM, Nic72 said:

My son is also having the same problem with his ford fiesta. All electrics went dead whilst driving!! 

Put some petrol cleaner car worked fine ever since.

• Sad 1

• 8 months later...

Did this every get solved? I’m having the same problem. 2 AA pickups with no joy and a visit to an Auto Electricians. Idling at 400rpm. Cuts out driving, won’t restart due to immobilizer 😡

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Roberto1982 said:

Idling at 400rpm

Hi Robert, I think you would be better to start a new thread on this. This thread is so old and mixed up that you will probably not get many answers.

The idle speed is way too low, minimum would be 700RPM, does the air filter need changed ?

• 1 year later...

I'm having the exact same issue here, does anyone know how it was solved? 

• Sad 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club