Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hidden Second Usb Behind The Sync Module

Willy

Ok then I've just had another look and it seems that there is power coming from the second USB but no data is being taken from my HD or USB stick.

post-5052-0-55230800-1365100584_thumb.jp post-5052-0-49517100-1365100645_thumb.jp

The drive will spin up but come up with an error message.

Max well be that it's providing power but not enough to run an un-powered drive.

Try plugging a phone charger cable or something similar to see if it provides enough voltage to initiate a charge cycle.

The socket may be dedicated for module updates or such like only.

Honestly a USB stick might be best than a harddrive, harddrives need quite a bit of power. Or a solid state drive, but let's face it a USB stick these days can be picked up for peanuts.

And thanks for the link, I'll give that connector a go :P

So have we found if both plugs are powered or is it just the 1?

Memory stick used in spare port gave me power but nothing else.

Other port worked fine with my memory stick and HDD so I'm at a loss as to why the spare port has power but nothing else.

Hmm, nothing I can find on the American Fiesta that isn't on ours to do with the audio system, could be for some sort of charging but not sure really.

Apparantly works on Focus' for at least an iPod.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259875&highlight=usb2

You do if you got an old ipod like my 3rd Gen touch :p

my 1st gen touch works just with the cable! (just about, with a few crashes mid journey in conjunction with sync :p)

my 1st gen touch works just with the cable! (just about, with a few crashes mid journey in conjunction with sync :p)

Interesting ;)

My ipod won't output sound without an audio cable connected :(

Ordered the bits anyways, so when mine comes I'll have a look and see if I can get the USB2 working. Do you have the option for USB2 when you use the menu's or voice command?

Could it be that the second USB socket is purely for software updates?

Reason I ask is that's the case on my current car (Cooper S) because I went through the same saga as you guys only to find that out........

Could be, but still going to plug the iPod into the powered one anyway :P

• 1 year later...

So did anyone find out if this 2nd port will be of for charging phones, dash cams etc, and does it only provide power when the ignition's on?

Ignition only and will charge stuff but only 500ma output

Ignition only and will charge stuff but only 500ma output

Hmm I wonder if that could cause a problem, has anyone connected a dash cam to it? I guess this just means any device connected to it would charge more slowly than say connecting it to a plug charger like those that come with phones, correct me if I'm wrong.

I found the device would go into PC / Sync / Download mode using the second usb. Made my phone useless while charging

I found the device would go into PC / Sync / Download mode using the second usb. Made my phone useless while charging

I bet you could cleverly fix that by doing something to the USB cable so the data connection is broken, then it would just charge. Either that or it would fry the phone lol.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club