Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Finally Getting Decent Mpg From The New 1.0L Focus Ecoboost

andygayle83

A while ago i got a 2013 Focus Zetec S 1.0 125 and was in complete horror at the fact the dial was reading 33mpg average. I tried every possible way to get the mpg up but even driving for an hour at night on a motorway could only achieve 35. Well after 1600 miles i have finally seen 40mpg. Since 2006 Ive had 6 brand new cars(one being a mini and the other 5 fords from a fiesta ST500 to a fiesta econetic) and I know they have to be run in but I have never exoerienced a car so far off its published mpg(56.5 mpg). Anyway probably by 4/5000 miles it will be up towards mid 40's but just a bit of info for anyone getting one of these cars dont panic, it will get better

My 182 ecoboost will do 41mpg average on a 100 mile motorway journey with cruise control set to 70mph. Now it's nearly got 9k on the clock.

as i said i didnt buy this car for economy i basically got a higher spec and new car for less money but i was worried about he mpg as 33 is terrible. im happy with 40mpg. anything above is a bonus.

When the weather (finally ?!?!) warms up, you should find it improves too.

yes should get another 1 maybe 2mpg more. im just happy that im finally getting decent mpg. old car was 37.5mpg so as long as it matched that im happy.

When I got my 2010 Fiesta 1.6TDCi I struggled around the 50mpg mark, once past 15k I struggled to get below 60mpg ;)

They do wear in and then the MPG goes up & up!

i had a 60 plate fiesta econetic. when i got it it was doing 60 mpg, when it was run in i was doing 70 and if i tried i got 80mpg. ive had so many new cars that im used to it improving but it isnt usually that far off to start with 33mpg from published figures of 56 is a big jump

Mine has just passed the 4000 mile mark and getting around 40mpg still..which isn't too shabby as I do like to put my foot down every so often...

As said hopefully when it warms up a bit it should start to rise a bit

i had a 60 plate fiesta econetic. when i got it it was doing 60 mpg, when it was run in i was doing 70 and if i tried i got 80mpg. ive had so many new cars that im used to it improving but it isnt usually that far off to start with 33mpg from published figures of 56 is a big jump

33>56 in the Focus is a smaller gap than your Fiesta Econetic at 60>85 ;)

33>56 in the Focus is a smaller gap than your Fiesta Econetic at 60>85 ;)

Not in percentage terms :P

Focus is at 59% of its expected MPG, Fiesta is at 71%

Glad, to hear this infomation had mine Focus Ecoboost one week now and am enjoying it!

as said above. not in persentage terms. i would expect 70+% from new engine then getting up to 85% when run in 95% if you try your hardest

My 59 plate 1.6 with 36k on clock gets 41 on motorway. 70/80mph and 32mpg around town/ short trips.

haha no comment mine does 3 gallon to the mile :)

My 59 plate 1.6 with 36k on clock gets 41 on motorway. 70/80mph and 32mpg around town/ short trips.

My 08 plate 1.8 petrol with 69k on clock gets 37mpg on motorway @70mph and 32mpg around town/short trips. Doesn't seem so bad after reading some of these posts. The 1.8 feels well place in the focus with power to weight ratio.

Honest john has tge actual mpg for these cars based on driving types from real tests 32 mpg for mainly town with the odd motorway is the actual figure they did it after complaints that mpg was way off what was claimed ive always found the lowest figures they state are the closest

Im tired of hearing this new care with special £100 each tyres will achieve 56mpg or more its time they were made to publish real life figures

Top gear did it with the prius and found its economy was poorer than a focus diesel its a simple money making scam taking advantage of high fuel costs

A cars meant to be driven sod the mpg just drive and enjoy as bruce lee said dont look at the finger or youll miss all that heavenly glory so ignore the trip computer enjoy the totty walking along the road lol

Hi Andy , I'm getting a new focus soon but I'm still unsure which one (1.0 125 or 1.6 tdi) . I'm favouring the 1.0 my only concern apart from mpg is reliability because its a big car small engine set up . Now to my points ,

1- would you recommend the 1.0 over the diesel for driverbility ?

2- have you noticed the engine straining at all ?

3- does the engine still feel solid and happy now you've had it a while ?

Thanks for any advice given

Hi, it isn't a scam at all, the figures are only there as a rough guide to compare the different manufacturers figures, as is quite clearly stated. The thing is that the original mpg tests were finalised in 2001, just think what cars were around then taking into account that it was years before that they based the testing upon. There were no 3 cylinder, direct injection and forced induction vehicles around then and any turbo charged cars were considered to be high performance sports cars, plus that fact that there was no obsession with mpg then and the average mpg was around 22mpg. I know that under the right driving conditions the quoted mpg can be achieved but you would probably have to keep it off turbo to get that. I have demonstrated it can be with my own car using the ecoboost technology, I can easily get 37+mpg around town and 57+mpg on mixed urban, more or less bang on Fords figures and I don't drive like a granny either. However the car, being as quick as the original Mk1 ST, should be used as it is designed, to be driven like you stole it, then of course the mpg will drop, the lowest average I've seen is 32mpg. But it stands to reason that any forced induction engine will do so and my car is far far better than the Mk1 was anyway...

I havent driven the diesel but this car dont strain. Will sit at 105 happily. Also believe me whem i say it loves to be revved and its fast. Alot quicker than my old ficus 1.6. I change cars yearly so cant comment on engine life etc. I was not happy with the mpg to start but now its doing 40s its fine. You would never know its a 1 litre by driving it. My advice would be get the 125 bhp engine as the 105 one i feel Is a bit underpowered. Artscot the reason people care about mpg Is the cost of petrol. I could afford an st but where i do lots of Miles id be putting in £70 a week. As for honest Johns figures that must have been a New car. I would immagine town driving would be 36mpg in my car. Im in between 38 and 40 all the time now. When i got it it was 33

• Like 1

it is a scam the figures are based on laboratory tests at optimum conditions ie flat surface perfect external temperature perfect humidity we dont live in a lab so the figures will never no matter what anyone says match fords the problem im making is people buy certain cars based on that info when the truth is you wont get it unless as you say youre being carefull about how you drive which isnt always possible given the old 1.6 ti vct can manage those figures its not the improvement ford claim im at 36 around town with a lot of stop and go in winter well colder weather also as i just found out it loves to be revved does it have the ib5 gearbox the clutches are blooming extortionate

Thanks for your reply Andy I am definitely edging towards the ecoboost now so I will let you know what I think of it .

Hahaha iv got a 59 1.6 that barely gets 30mpg around town but i dont really hang around :P

I had the 1.6 before and got 37 but this is so much quicker and better on fuel. Yeah tests are ideal conditions but you should be able to get within 10% of figures

the way ive looked at it, is all cars mpg's are tested in ideal conditions(perfect temparature steady throttle no wind etc) so it doesnt matter whether its ford skida renault audi all of them are going to be unachievable by roughly the same amount. i have always looked at mpg and took 10% off as thats a fair rough gage. if it was only audi testing in deal conditions then it would be an unfair advantage but they all do it

• Like 1