Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Cleaning.

jmr93

Hey guys. I've got a bit of a newbie question to ask. How do you guys clean your engine's ? I've been told to use a steam cleaner, but not sure if this is a good idea or not ?

Steam cleaning is good but id go and get it proffesionally steam cleaned its only about £10 or something :) looks great after

Thanks ! I take it the normal Kosovant cleaners can do that :P I have Koso family as well so no racism intented :P .

Most body work places will do it. It'll probably depend on the valeter some places will some wont

I guess it's a looking up job for me now then. Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...

you can do it yourself. get yourself a pressure washer and some engine de-greaser. just keep the engine running whilst your spraying

you can do it yourself. get yourself a pressure washer and some engine de-greaser. just keep the engine running whilst your spraying

And be VERY careful around any connectors and obviously the ECU. They weren't built for withstanding water under high pressure.

To be honest I don't offer that service to my customers.

when i was a valeter for a month we used to do every used car, we just kept the engine running

• 3 months later...

Engine degreaser and a paintbrush, then a hosepipe, dry then soak in WD40 leave for 5 minutes then use microfiber cloth and keep wiping WD40 off till dry, leaves everything clean protected and natural looking. here's mine i done yesterday, got no before pics but only bought car a week ago and engine bay and engine was a right mess.

012_zps747a886f.jpg

010_zps85f6ceae.jpg

008_zpsc70000d1.jpg

007_zpse682e9b4.jpg

• Like 1

That's a cracking job :D

good job there. i asked this question a while ago.

on my old fiesta i had my engine jet washed they kept it running, afterwards it started missing and i found that the water had shorted a problem out on the ht leads.

when i asked recently people said hard work and graft with wd40 and cloth or steam clean.

good job there. i asked this question a while ago.

on my old fiesta i had my engine jet washed they kept it running, afterwards it started missing and i found that the water had shorted a problem out on the ht leads.

when i asked recently people said hard work and graft with wd40 and cloth or steam clean.

Steam cleaning engines is at best a gamble, used to have my own valeting business many many moons ago and lost count of the insurance claims I had to sort out for alarms. the way I do it above from start to finish takes about 30 minutes and isn't hard graft, the hardest bit is getting your cloth where you want it and knowing when to stop because this cleaning lark is addictive LOL, so be warned.

Heres a couple of my past motors engine bays.

The shine on this engine (3.2 v6 petrol) was not engine laquer, it was damp start as it used to do this in 2nd pic.

engine.jpg

frontyresize.jpg

IMG_0889_2.jpg

Picture274.jpg

Picture017-2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well today I cleaned the engine bay on our lasses car cos it was black, well at least i remembered to take before pics this time :D

011_zps555c3482.jpg

010_zpsbc965917.jpg

and after, usual gunk brushed on then rinsed dried then soaked in wd40 and wiped back off with microfibre after 5-10 minutes.

013_zps344f41d4.jpg

014_zps7fe662cc.jpg

015_zps44fea527.jpg

019_zps44596f1a.jpg

020_zps9abd1bd2.jpg

Hi . I got some top quality engine cleaner from Halfords comes with some engine detailer in a pack and just went by the instructions sprayed around the engine I left the top plastic engine cover on so as not to get any cleaner on the electrics used a brush on the heavy deposits and rinsed of with warm water in a watering can then started the engine to dry of . Any water in the gullies I used a cloth or paper towel to soak up and get out . Then left for a day or two to dry out then sprayed the detailer over all the plastics and looks great.

• 2 years later...

I watched a video where the guy was using oven and grill cleaning foam, what are your thoughts

My thoughts are a no, no. I used it in my oven once. never again. Can be quite corrosive Always check the contents be fore use

Why not used compressed air to blast away dust and dirt then a damp cloth? Much less chance of damaging something then

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So would I be safest to dry brush loose stuff, paint everything with gunk natural green, rinse with watering can, dry, spray everything with wd40 leave 5-10 mins and dry everything off

Is it better to brush the degreaser on or spray it on and work it in with a brush