Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 Focus Erratic Starting - Immobiliser Issue?

The Bunk

Hi, just wondering if anyone might be able to help me.

A couple of months ago I bought a used 2007 Focus and in recent weeks I've started experiencing an issue with the car not starting properly.

Sometimes I turn the key and nothing happens with the engine. If I have the car window open I can just hear a "click" and then silence. All the warning lights etc come on ok. I then have to just keep trying to start the car (sometimes maybe 10 - 15 times) until eventually the engine starts fine with no stutter or any issue.

Other times I start the car first time without any problem.

Then there is also sometimes a sort of in-between case to the above...... I turn the key and nothing happens for about 3 or 4 seconds, at which stage the engine then starts fine.

I'm not very knowledgeable about cars sorry. My initial thoughts are that this is maybe some sort of issue with the immobiliser?

The issue seems to be more likely to occur if the car hasn't been used for a while.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

Thanks for the help.

sound more like a starter circuit issue.

ignition switch/earth connection/wiring/starter motor

As above it could be any one or a mixture of those problems to save cash its best to have it looked at

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem...Focus 1.8 vetec 2004. Starts fine sometimes, other times I just have to keep trying...When it actually starts though its fine.

I am no expert, but it seems to me to be either an imobiliser fault or a key fault.

Have you discovered anything??

It was a problem with my starting motor. Had to get a new one. Problem sorted now.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club