Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vinnie's Project Log

vince_13

yeh im hoping if this goes well i might be able to go further with some more parts in the engine bay

its arrived

20130704_211854_zps3d55d3d1.jpg

should hopefully fit it on sat :D

• Like 1

sorry guys bad news, the hose doesnt fit, in my haste to enusre that it fits, i measured the diameter of the oem pipe to be 73mm so bought the hose at 83mm and i thought i could use bigger jubilee clips to clamp it,

but upon removing the oem pipe i immediately realised that it wouldnt fit, nor would a jubilee clip clamp it securely,

on a side note i found that the hard plastic hose running into the inlet was not tight and came off with a slight tug so i made sure to tighten that up.

my objective was to replace the corregated hose running from the airbox to the hard plastic hose, with a blue samco hose, i will look for another size hose, at the same i will use the off cuts to put a piece between the butterfly valve and the hard plastic hose

its always a gamble when modifying as there are no parts made unfortunately

new parts have arrived, so will have them fitted sometime this week

on a sad note decided to have my aircon re-charged but was given some bad news that my condeser radiator has got a leak in it so not having the funds to fix with a new radiator i just have to rely on my windows

new parts have arrived, so will have them fitted sometime this week

on a sad note decided to have my aircon re-charged but was given some bad news that my condeser radiator has got a leak in it so not having the funds to fix with a new radiator i just have to rely on my windows

How annoying about the air con..

It's one of thoughs thing that you need to get sorted when its not needed so it doesn't matter if there is a delay to using it..

But as its so hot you are now going to want it even more !!!

haha i know, for weeks ive been saying ill get it done not once did i think it would be a problem with the rad,

ill survive for now, its Britain so the sunshine cant last much longer, :P
(i hope)

they said they could get a new rad in for thursday and could fit in on friday but looking at the weather the sun is going come saturday so going save the cash

• Like 1

got round to fitting the new induction hose, admittedly its not the best job in the world but working from scratch its not bad

got do a few miles just to make sure its stable then i may buy another 1 and cut it up neatly etc, the hose is still a tad bigger but the next size down is smaller than the diameter of the original hole so don't really want to go that small, the other pipe connecting to the butterfly throttle valve is considerably smaller so my previous idea of using offcuts is no good

can provide some instruction or tips (albeit just common sense will do) of how to do things

anyway here some pics, what do you guys think?

DSC05604_zps5fa640a8.jpg

DSC05606_zpsa97cf2c5.jpg

DSC05610_zpse81a6f1b.jpg

DSC05608_zpsb5242a43.jpg

• Like 1

Looks nice :) what's the brand?

And does this give better airflow or something?

I think it ash auto sport, the pipe is bigger so I would presume better airflow, jist been out and the pipe is holding up strong

new centre caps have arrived for my alloys, also bought some new security screws for my number plates as the old screws are quite rusted

pictures of the new centres caps, was going to buy some overloays from dmb but these were cheaper and imo suit the silver wheels better

old caps

DSC05808_zps0f0ca880.jpg

new caps

DSC05811_zpse6ca6f36.jpg

also car is booked in on friday to have my aircon repaired

my number plate screws did arrive however the screws were to small for the thread, i thought they would of been standard thread size because it didnt give me option to choose the size of screw, anyone throw some light on that?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys had my aircon fixed today and got some pictures for anyone else concerned, ive wasnt aware at the time but they do an aftermarket ford condensing radiator and this was made to overcome the pop rivet design fault

ill let the pictures do the talking

so this was my current/old radiator (looks battered being 4 years old)

DSC05814_zpsde3dd1e0.jpg

here is the pop rivets that was leaking

DSC05816_zps8239b6a3.jpg

the dark substance that you see is the residue that has leaked from the radiator, upon reading another thread on this forum someone has advised to grease up these rivets and paint over to stop the weather attacking them,

this is the new aftermarket radiator and as you can see the mounting brackets have been welded onto and not pop rivetted (to my relief, as i thought it would be reoccuring job every year)

DSC05821_zps386bdb97.jpg

DSC05822_zps09604e90.jpg

a nice new shiny condensor radiator

:D

• Like 1

looking good and the new wheels caps look much better

thanks guys, next idea is these hoses, mainly coolant and vacuum hoses,

• 4 weeks later...

the car is looking well with all the mods. I plan on stealing your idea for the sub button as I had one fitted in a car before and it left me stranded with a dead battery on more than one occasion. do you have a link for the red button you had at the start? thanks

hi norman thanks, this is the first switch i used

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-034-DT

i only changed to blue due to the colour, you will need a 19mm alternate switch,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cable-Bush-Vent-Wire-Grommet-Plug-Port-Hole-25-4mm-Diameter-/221123938648?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Electrical_Fittings_MJ&hash=item337c038958

that is the reducer that the switch is pushed into, make sure its a push fit i.e wont come out, this then will then push into the existing hole in the console

any questions just ask

• 2 weeks later...

not really an update, but the car has had a bit of abuse recently due to moving house, so will try and get a good valet on it soon before christmas hopefully,

the car has just ticked over 20,000 miles, (not bad for 4 years old)

currently gathering information for my next project, again including samco hoses and engine bay, its rather ambitious but hopefully it will pull off

Any updates on the part of the intake you took off? Been thinking about doing the same but im worried about water getting in, especially with winter coming up. Can't tell if its just a silencer or if it has further purpose.

Whats your thoughts pal?

Hi luke the parts is still removed from my car, got more torque from engine but a decrease in mpg

Im not worried myself about water due to the air filter still in the box so it would have to fill the box with water to cause any damage imo

Id suggest remove it for a week see what ya think and if ya want ya can put it back or not, worth a try mate even for a day

Think it's worth a try, hopefully I'll notice some small increase in performance. Cheers for the idea, would have never expected to find that under there.

yeh i think you will

whilst your under there be sure to just check in your airbox that there is no debris in there already, give it a general clean out

a word of caution: i only say this as i got caught out myself

be very careful when taking the plastic piece out that the cable to the bonnet lock is not disturbed

once you have finished and before you shut your bonnet ensure you have a long enough screwdriver to push the white collar back in (through the grille as suggested in the guide) if your bonnet doesn't open,

i removed my piece of plastic shut my bonnet then realised i couldn't open it, needless to say the guide on the forum of how to get back in works wonders, probably worth a read before you start so you know how to deal with that situation

• Like 1

Good advice, thats the last thing anyone needs.

Thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1

Hi damien, your best bet would be eBay, have a look under mondeo aswell as they are the same size and will fit in the focus

• 2 weeks later...

another mod update, the engine bay idea has taken a back seat for now, following this guide ive changed the leds in the switches to a blue/white colour

the led at the top (indicates the switch is on) is quite bright and isnt controlled by the dimmer unit, however the illumination led is just the right intensity and is controlled by the dimmer so can be made dulled down or made brighter

FYI i bought a second hand unit off eBay to dismantle the switches and practice on so the switch in the images are not from my car, but have been tested in my car

20130925_182148_zpsf4f6807d.jpg

20130925_182130_zpsfc6c6aaa.jpg

20130925_182118_zpsdb20dadc.jpg

heres the guide written by someone else