Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Silicone Coolant Hose Length - Can I....?

Major Eazy

Apologise if this sort of question had already been asked before, I tried searching all around to see if there are answers already but could not find any.

I'm planning on buying parts for my car's coolant system as it is leaking, yes I've already found different variation answers about this matter, I'm just interested in asking about those silicone hoses which you could buy to replace the rubber hoses. For example: I found some blue coloured silicone hoses made by SAMCO Sports, from websites like burtonpower.com, for some prices like £150-ish for a set. I know that photos on the website tend to be for display purpose and the items may vary.

I just wonder, since the picture showed one pipe which I can match to the rubber one in the engine, seems to be a bit longer length than the one in the engine. The photo shows that starting from one end, the shape and length seems to match my parts in the car, until I reach the other end of the hose, where it should be joined to the coolant expansion tank, which seems rather bit longer.

So if I buy it, can those silicone hoses have part of its end cut in place where it should end and still be used? Am I right in assuming that it won't affect its workings and won't affect the operations?

Of course, it is most likely right parts but wrong photo, and photo is just for display purpose only, but I just want to be sure.

Many thanks.

yes thay can indeed be cut and it wont effect the operation of them i will say i find samco to be over priced there are hoses out there far far cheaper since the car you have isnt some super turbo charged system those cheaper as good quality ones will work just as good eBay sell lots you cut to the length you need

As above, just get "universal" silicone hoses/ lengths of pipe, usually about £10 to £20, may require modification/ cutting, (can be cut with a stanley knife or a hacksaw) just make sure its the right diameter, there are different wall thicknesses/ plys and different max temprature etc if it is too thin it may collapse under suction, too thick it may not be flexible enough to bend

You may have to add bends and joining pieces, if you have the regular type of modern coolant (OAT) you cannot use brass or copper joiners, or it may react, the (pipe) joiners need to be ABS (high temp) plastic, alloy/ aluminium or steel/ stainless steel, you must continue to use/ top up with the same type of (OAT) coolant

After not knowing (or caring :) ) very much about cooling systems, after having cooling problems/ leaks on my Mondeo i decided to convert to an electric waterpump, replacing all the hoses for silicone ones, and re-routing the system sounds simple - but it is'nt................ :lol:

That's interesting. I just assume you got to buy kits that are designed for your car's engine, the SAMCO's blue hoses is just a common example, well I know I don't really 'have to' buy theirs and I'm sure there must be other companies that made silicone hoses, but I didn't know you could buy straight hoses which you can cut to right lengths and bend them yourself. Okay, I'll look into those. Thanks guys.

Now I'm getting more confused, I figure I would try [FOCA & artscot] your suggestions, I found some other silicone hoses, but noticed that there are some vacuum hoses in additional to straight hoses. I'm assuming I should try for the straight hoses, cut them to lengths needed, bend them, and if they're a little harder to bend, say have to bend them 90° then use elbow thing, but not to go for vacuum hoses? Or is there no different between the vacuum hoses and the straight silicone ones?

Now I'm getting more confused, I figure I would try [FOCA & artscot] your suggestions, I found some other silicone hoses, but noticed that there are some vacuum hoses in additional to straight hoses. I'm assuming I should try for the straight hoses, cut them to lengths needed, bend them, and if they're a little harder to bend, say have to bend them 90° then use elbow thing, but not to go for vacuum hoses? Or is there no different between the vacuum hoses and the straight silicone ones?

There are many types of hoses available, different thicknesses plys, materials etc

The type you need is 3 or 4 - ply silicone - it should have a max temp of 150-180c (some other hoses have a lower max temp eg - pvc ones) some other hoses may be single ply, and very thin and flexible (may collapse under suction)

The most common sizes for coolant hoses is 16mm and 19mm, at this size (multi-ply) silicone hoses are probably 3 or 4 mm thick, this is a "stiff" hose, is unlikely to collapse under suction, but cannot bend sharply (just a graceful bend) so you will need 90degree (etc) bends and joiners (+ jubilee clips) to make up the hoses

I just bought black silicone, because i used a mixture of original (black rubber) and new hoses , also the coloured silicone looks good when its new/ clean, but not as it gets old/ dirty

Some of the original hose may be a strange shape, and difficult to find a replacement - a good plan may be to just replace the parts that are leaking with black silicone - coloured silicone for a "show" style engine bay is someting else, but still no point in colorising bits you cant see

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club