Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ecoboost 1 Litre - Possible Engine Issues

regulator86

Hi there.

I have a new fiesta with a 1litre petrol ecoboost engine, 500 miles on the clock so far.

Yesterday while driving the yellow power train warning light came on (a spanner symbol). There was no loss of power. I manually restarted the engine at the next traffic lights, and the warning turned off and remained off.

Concerned there might be an issue, I started paying extra attention to the car behaviour, in the process picking up on stuff that is possibly entirely normal but I hadn't noticed before.

Firstly, when I switch the car off, there is a 2-3 second 'whine', like something that has been spinning slowing down.

Secondly, the engine makes a hell of a rattle and tick at idle. Compared to my dads Lexus where the engine is visibly still when the hood is open, the ecoboost is literally rattling quite heavily, while making a ticking sound. Is this normal for the ecoboost engine? I tried to video this but It's difficult to pick up both the sound and shaking with a handheld iPhone camera.

The car otherwise shows no adverse driving behaviour, and is as you'd expect from a new car.

Any thoughts appreciated. It may be entirely normal, but I've only payed attention since the warning light came on yesterday and I'm not sure if the issues might be connected.

The whine is completely normal, every car I've owned has done it and the family's cars do it when I've driven them. It's just the various systems completing a 'shutting down' procedure.

With regards to the warning light, could just be a glitch. Is your car due a 1000 mile check? Not sure if Ford still do them but I'd mention it then if so. If not, I'd get it booked in when you can, just to be on the safe side.

I wouldn't compare the 3 cylinder, 1 litre engine in your Fiesta to that of a silky smooth (V6?) Lexus! Our Fiesta is a 1.25 petrol and rattles like a sewing machine on idle, and inevitably my diesel Focus is even worse... surprised the engine hasn't rattled it's self out and run away!! :P

I imagine the spinning down will be the turbo - it is recommended that if you've been driving it hard (ragging it) to let the engine idle for 20secs before switching it off so it cools down properly.

The whining noise is the turbo spooling down. If your engine is shaking and rattling I'd get to the dealers ASAP.

I took a ecoboost for a test drive and the engine was smooth and silky even at tickover.

Jimrex, inath - thanks. That's useful to know

Diesel pig did you base that on just idling while sitting in the car? It does feel smooth when I'm in the drivers seat. The shaking of the engine itself was only noticeable visually when the bonnet was up, but it seems as though it doesn't transfer to the vehicle itself... Did you take a look under the hood?

I DID run it past the ford dealership yesterday but no mechanics were in. The sales guy took a look and said it seemed fine, but I wasn't entirely confident with his analysis

Jimrex, inath - thanks. That's useful to know

Diesel pig did you base that on just idling while sitting in the car? It does feel smooth when I'm in the drivers seat. The shaking of the engine itself was only noticeable visually when the bonnet was up, but it seems as though it doesn't transfer to the vehicle itself... Did you take a look under the hood?

I DID run it past the ford dealership yesterday but no mechanics were in. The sales guy took a look and said it seemed fine, but I wasn't entirely confident with his analysis

I drive a Mondeo and have never, driven or sat in a Fiesta Ecoboost

I know it has a 3 - cylinder engine, (which cannot have 100% primary and secondary balance) and no balancer shafts (contra - rotating or otherwise) and apparently relies on a specially designed imbalanced crank to damp the "vibes" - the resonances, wiights and engine mounts are probably specially designed/ developed to reduce NVH

Apart from the difficulty in balancing the 3 cylinders, there are the uneven power pulses - so its a bit of an engineering marvel (very light too, and powerful for its weight)

in other words its probably like it should be and the engine vibrates but you don't feel it when your driving (probably)

Possibly

Yes I did open the bonnet, the dealer was very keen to show me the engine. At tickover the engine was very quiet with no shaking or rattling, mind you I have driven diesels for the past 10 years,

Given you have seen a warning light I would still get to the dealers for a checkup from a mechanic, a sales monkey can only think in pound notes.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club