Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Huge Problem With Static Shocks

ayrshiredude

Every time, and I mean every time, I get out my car and touch the body I get a massive and very painful electric shock, To the extent you can see the spark fly from the car to me. Yesterday I took the key out the ignition and standing with the door open I went to put the key back into the ignition and, as the key touched the ignition barrel, the spark was so strong there was a loud crack with a visible blue electric arc.

Surely this isn't right? What would be causing that?

Have the same problem with mine

Last Mk7 never gave any shocks but this face lift version gives a shock every time I close either door

Don't know what could be causing it

Sometimes it's as simple as the shoes/clothes you wear or the carbon content of your tyres.

If I'm wearing my work boots I never get a shock as they're pure rubber soles.

My out of uniform footwelp has carbon rubber soles and I always get a small jolt.

Loads of synthetic clothing like fleece jackets, due to the high plastic levels, produce static and will discharge when you touch the outside of the car.

While you're sat inside jiggling around on your seat you build up quite a charge but because you're inside the charge doesn't dissipate to ground.

The weather also plays a part, as its been cold and dry there is very little moisture in the air so the best place for the static to dissipate is through you.

Last year when it was very wet I didn't suffer any shocks but this year like you I have.

Don't mention static shocks to me! I have had loads of them since Christmas but none prior to then, I experience some loud cracks and sharp pains.

Never get any with our Volvo but that has leather seats not nylon type, non with our Sons mk1.5 Focus either.

Might be a market for those eighties rubber contact strips you all ways saw.

Cheers

Martin.

Called the dealer and they said bring it in and they would check all the earths and see if there was a problem there.

I have the same with mine, and it's transferring to me, then to my cats... they're not so understanding...

My out of uniform footwelp...

footwelp?!

I've been getting much more powerful shocks from my car recently, they're big enough to see the blue bolt jump from me to the car and travel through the metal of the door (wonder if this voids the paint warranty?). I also feel it in my right leg, though as I believe it's caused by my shoes I guess the static builds up in my feet then travels up my leg to jump into the car. I like static shocks though so it's all good :D.

Static shocks can be dangerous I would get it seen to as soon as especially if they are getting worse

Try to put your hand on the roof or other metal on the car, before you set foot on the ground, it's an old advice that should work.

footwelp?!

I've been getting much more powerful shocks from my car recently, they're big enough to see the blue bolt jump from me to the car and travel through the metal of the door (wonder if this voids the paint warranty?). I also feel it in my right leg, though as I believe it's caused by my shoes I guess the static builds up in my feet then travels up my leg to jump into the car. I like static shocks though so it's all good :D.

If that big it may be worth getting that looked in to, that's probably like 60 or 70kV

Don't mention static shocks to me! I have had loads of them since Christmas but none prior to then, I experience some loud cracks and sharp pains.

Never get any with our Volvo but that has leather seats not nylon type, non with our Sons mk1.5 Focus either.

Might be a market for those eighties rubber contact strips you all ways saw.

Cheers

Martin.

I remember those rubber srrips on the backs of cars! - essential along with the furry dice a magic tree and the little stick -on lock protectors (and don't forget the "his" and "hers" custom sun visors) - mabee the strips will be making a comeback :lol:

Well had the car in today and as expected they couldn't find or
replicate the issue. Interestingly though he said that they have had a
couple of people with he same car complaining about this issue. He told
me he had reported to issue to Ford so hopefully, if they get enough
complaints about this, they will look into it. Id hate to think what
could happen at a petrol station.

Today I got a shock from touching the hand break so its getting worse.

At least with diesel I don't need to worry about being blown up :P

Juat had my first static shock on my car, think i jynxed myself reading this thread lol. It was ob the ignition tumbler.

I have this with my MK6 Fiesta. I've found though when I'm getting out of the car if I keep hold of the door while exiting I don't get them....

I had it a few times, but haven't noticed it recently.

think it's just the static build up on us.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club