Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Plastic Door Paneling

APJ

Noticed that two of the plastic door panels on my Focus have come loose. If I buy some new ones how do they attach? Do they clip in or would I have to glue them in? Is it an easy job?

post-16403-0-14282000-1365431004_thumb.j

Which panels mate? The entire door card, or just part of it? Hard to tell really. Door cards should just be clipped into place, and held with a few screws.

I've never had the Focus ones off, but on my Mondeo there was a few screws to remove and then they lifted out...two under the bottom edge two up each of the sides and one behind/under the door grab handle part (all that from memory so maybe not 100% but you get the picture). With all screws removed they just lifted upwards. On the Focus you may need to remove the pillar speaker trim part as well. I don't have my car at the minute so can't even pop out to check for you.

I'd suggest having a look round first as you could be just missing a few screws, you should notice the empty screw holes ok if so. Maybe you should remove and refit your current ones first to see if they've just come loose and can be re-seated properly. This will also help you pinpoint where the problem lies, as in you could get new door cards but their mounting locations on the door itself could be shot and so new cards wouldn't make a difference.

The door bucket in my driver's door was loose, but the clips/screws have been broke on this. Don't know how or why someone would have needed to have done this, but it used to rattle a bit. I put some double sided sticky foam tape stuff over the boken joints, secured tightly with duck tape for a few days, and they've been grand since. Wouldn't stand up to any pressure I'm sure, but at least it's not visually or audibly noticable...no more palstic rattle!

Just re-read your post and noticed I've based my reply assuming you're on about the interior panels and not the exterior bump strips?

Yeah soz I meant the ones on the outside, I did attach a pic but it obviously didn't post properly. Will try posting again!

Ah right, you might be best removing them altogether then and just re-applying rather than buying new. Have heard of them being both glued and clipped, so couldn't be sure until you had them off. Apply heat and pull gently as you don't wanna lift the paint underneath.

Should be safe enough to have the current ones re-applied though. Would be safer too if they're colour coded to ensure colour match and that.

Maybe someone else can confirm if they're just glued or clipped as well?

if they are in fact what i think you mean

i can confirm they are glued on as well as clipped in

the clips are extremely fragile and its near impossible to remove the trim without breaking the clips

i know this from experience

I have attached pic to my first post so you guys can see the bit I'm talking about.

When i lift the panel it looks like it was clipped in and glued but the clip has broken and the glue has obviously failed to hold the panel flat against the car. For about 2yrs I had it carefully taped in place but looks awful and it's about time I sorted it! A new panel is only £14

Oh those panels! They'd be the B-pillar trims. If the clip is broke as you say then new panels should fix your problem. and won't cost the earth.

As said, I don't have mine to check for you at the minute...gonna post a pic of my current ride on a new thread...

• 3 weeks later...

It was an easy job in the end. Purchased the two new pieces of b-pillar trim from Ford..cost about £30 in total. Carefully took the old ones off which revealed that the 3 clip type things that held them in place had totally disintegrated. Then had to use a small pair of pliers to pull the clips out of the holes, was also some rubbery type stuff which I guess has been originally used to fasten the clips in place....that was pretty loose and came off easily.

I then cleaned the metal work, luckily there was no rust. The b-pillar on the rear left door had to be threaded onto the rubber window edging, then lined up the new clips with the 3 holes and just pushed the pillar until all 3 clips clicked into place. Did the same with the triangular piece of b-pillar which sits just behind the rear door (on the Mk2 saloon). Much to my amazement both parts fitted perfectly and was an easy job. Will post some pics of job in a bit

Glad you got it sorted mate...didn't think it would be too costly or onerous to put right. ;)

Was amazed i manged to fit them myself as im not confident fixing anything on my car, apart from changing a bulb. Here are the two new fitted plastic side panels/b-pillars (see attached pic)

post-16403-0-25437000-1367318811_thumb.j

heres the rear plastic panel removed and as you can see the plastic clips had broken off in the holes (see attached pics)

post-16403-0-47670400-1367319014_thumb.j

post-16403-0-02054900-1367319038_thumb.j

Well mate, now that you've jumped that hurdle and proved to yourself it was no sweat...let the modding commence!

Good pics by the way, may come in handy for others if they find themselves in the same position.

Cheers mate, yeah just thought id add the pics incase someone else on here gets a similar issue. So easy to sort

Would love to start doing some modding...infact my next enquiry is about a very minor mod, which you may well of already done..will start a new thread for it!