Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch Sticking Down ?

Blue4life64

I've noticed my clutch is sticking down to the floor ? I have too with my foot pull it back up ? Its a 2008 mk2.5 focus and its only done 36000 miles.

I would like to hear from anyone else who has had the same problem

thanks

defo spring, I had the problem. A real PITA to fix.

Heres hoping if not the spring the slave or master cylinder has gone get on youre back in the driver footwell and shine a torch up at the top of the clutch pedal and hope the springs broken

It doesn't do it all the time, only occasionally other times works fine ?

could it still be the spring ?

Its not your carpet is it?

If the carpets too long n going up behind the pedals the clutch can jam on it easily if you accidently put too much force on it

i had this exact problem cause of the cheap universal fit mats the previous owner had in

which is why i bought tailored car mats n no longer have this problem

it is dangerous having ill fitting mats

I bought my car and had it two months before I first experienced it. It happened when I had to break quite hard, which also translates to pressing clutch harder than normal. My pedal stuck down and I couldn't get it back up with my foot, think I had work boots on so couldn't get toe under it. Just coasted to hard shoulder.

When I fixed it there was no sign of the spring or any bits in the footwell. It must have been missing from when I got it.

If you check the thread out about repairing spring, there is a photo showing it. Just check to see if yours has one. Or just feel the top of the clutch pedal and you should be able to feel the spring. It's quite chunky, about the diameter of an adult finger.

I bought my car and had it two months before I first experienced it. It happened when I had to break quite hard, which also translates to pressing clutch harder than normal. My pedal stuck down and I couldn't get it back up with my foot, think I had work boots on so couldn't get toe under it. Just coasted to hard shoulder.

When I fixed it there was no sign of the spring or any bits in the footwell. It must have been missing from when I got it.

If you check the thread out about repairing spring, there is a photo showing it. Just check to see if yours has one. Or just feel the top of the clutch pedal and you should be able to feel the spring. It's quite chunky, about the diameter of an adult finger.

see thats sounding like the carpet to me cause thats exactly what happened to me when it first happened

was coming up to lights when it turned read and had to suddenly brake

was sitting further forward than normal also so i pressed the pedal with a lot more force than usual and the clutch pedal disappeared into the floor n jammed on the carpet, had to coast across to the hatched markings on side of the road n hit the hazzards

lifted the pedal up by hand n it was completely normal

can see what i mean about the carpets here

here's what the previous owner had in what the pedal jammed on

616682_467407759944449_673548309_o.jpg

you can see how dangerously far up behind the pedals it was

n here's the tailored mat i replaced it with

2013-04-09171527.jpg

@Brigante, not trying to be rude, but you quote me and then say

"see thats sounding like the carpet to me cause thats exactly what happened to me when it first happened"

Yet my post clearly states it was a missing spring NOT caught on the carpet!

But I may just be misunderstanding what you mean.

sorry mate that is my bad, i meant to only quote part of your comment

i meant to just quote this part

had it two months before I first experienced it. It happened when I had
to break quite hard, which also translates to pressing clutch harder
than normal. My pedal stuck down and I couldn't get it back up with my
foot, think I had work boots on so couldn't get toe under it. Just
coasted to hard shoulder.

to simply compare it to my personal experience, as exactly the same thing happened to me but in my case it actually was the carpet

was about 8months into owning the car, had to brake hard which translated into pressing the clutch much harder than normal, which resulted in the clutch pedal jamming down on the carpet. i'm not saying this was the same in your case as it obviously wasn't. but it happened in the exact same situation which is why i quoted you.

thought it was worth posting what happened to me in the off chance it is the same for the OP and the previous owner had silly carpets

Slipping carpets is a pain, that's why I made sure to buy carpet clips.

Nothing worse than putting a pedal down and finding the carpet blocking or catching them.

Definitely check the spring though.

• Like 1

my motor had the carpet clips in place so presumably at one point had the right mats to clip into em

so god knows what the previous owner was thinking fitting dangerously long thick mats for that was literally twice as long as the proper one

I took the car into the dealers today and they have said its the Clutch Master Cylinder which needs replacing, Im lucky that its under warranty and they have ordered the part and fitting tomorrow.

thanks for your help and advice I will update when ive got car back

• Like 1

Thought it was hydraulic slave or master cylinder at least its under warranty and will be sorted

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I have the same problem...my clutch sticks to the bottom of the floor and needs me to put my toes under it to bring it up.  Happens when the engine is both on and off.  

How exactly would I check if it's the spring?  What should I be looking for?

Do you think I could try fixing myself?  What do you think I would have to do?

Thanks in advance.

• 3 years later...

My niece had same prob. Found out that when pedal pushed hard to floor it stuck. Plastic knob on back of pedal simply jammed into plastic tube that push rod goes through. A bit of emery cloth should do the trick! 

• 1 year later...

i had same problem to day .rac call out pumped peddle hard solved problem in a couple of mins.Hope it helps you.