Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk2 1.8 Tdci Focus - Blue Smoke On Cold Startup

DrNytol

I've got a Mk2 Focus 1.8 TDCi which gives a large blue smoke cloud when started from being completely cold. It usually starts ok without any excessive cranking but runs lumpy for a minute or 2 if driven straight away. After running for a few minutes it's absolutely fine.

The smoke only occurs when the car has been stood overnight. The colder it is the more smoke there is. The engine has done 50k and isn't using any oil.

Could it be the glow plugs ?

mine does this too so i'm interested in the replies...although i might get it checked by a friend of mine who does mapping to see if the fuelling is out.

sounds like oil getting by the valve seals

I've got a Mk2 Focus 1.8 TDCi which gives a large blue smoke cloud when started from being completely cold. It usually starts ok without any excessive cranking but runs lumpy for a minute or 2 if driven straight away. After running for a few minutes it's absolutely fine.

The smoke only occurs when the car has been stood overnight. The colder it is the more smoke there is. The engine has done 50k and isn't using any oil.

Could it be the glow plugs ?

hi diesels quite simple blue smoke = over fuelling more fuel than air. when diesel engine cold starts it adds more fuel or it would not start and uses glow plugs thus the blue smoke. if it is more than usual it could be many numerous of items. always start at the simplest. some suggestions are; blocked air filter / loose hose or perished hoses (pressurised side) / hole in intercooler / dripping injector / worn lazy turbo /

Blue smoke = oil smoke, from somewhere, you have to go check. it's a TDCI, so glow plugs are usually not a problem. If smoke is comming thru the vents also, check around the injectors for any leeks, (it might be from them), it might be because you put to much oil in it, or 100 other reasons. No matter the weather blue smoke equals oil is getting in the engine somehow. I would go to a mechanic, my first option, and my second one, go and test the injectors.

Blue smoke = oil smoke, from somewhere, you have to go check. it's a TDCI, so glow plugs are usually not a problem. If smoke is comming thru the vents also, check around the injectors for any leeks, (it might be from them), it might be because you put to much oil in it, or 100 other reasons. No matter the weather blue smoke equals oil is getting in the engine somehow. I would go to a mechanic, my first option, and my second one, go and test the injectors.

Glow plugs are a problem on these cars, or at least seem to be anyway. The symptoms described are classic to failing glow plugs,,, and regarding your comment about blue smoke being oil related,, don't forget diesel is oil based, so this smoke can also be unburnt fuel...

I don't want to argue with anyone :) but as a general rule blue smoke means oil leaking in the engine somehow, no matter the fuel type. Judging by your logic, diesels should give blue smoke all the time, and that is not the case. Diesel engines were originally designed to run on oil yes, diesel was introduced as a cheaper alternative at the time, but diesel fuel is far from being an oil nowadays :). This is why for example Euro 3 and some euro 4 cars don't "like" the new euro 5 - 6 diesel fuel because it has less sulphates in it (hope i wrote it right, not a native english speaker). This substance was used to lubricate parts and a lot of mechanics are saying that you can put 2T oil (aboul 5ml for 1 litre of diesel) so the fuels lubricates better. You can check your fuel filter after about 15000 miles and you may notice very small metal shards in it, or you can drag a magnet and see what is picking up. Won't ruin the car but it could cause injectors to malfunction for example and eventually brake, especially commonrail. Hope i make some sense.

SO, blue smoke means oil in fuel, in my own opinion :)

Sorry for the long post

Lol, why would my logic mean it would smoke all the time ?? I'm saying the glowplugs aren't burning enough of the fuel on cold start up, hence the excess smoke he is getting.

:) exces black smoke maybe but not blue smoke, not really. At -15 celsius some diesel fuels have issues so the car would sound badly for a few minutes, so this would "help" the problem. Anyway, i hope it's an easy fix.

i have this problem as well, i have had my car from new, got 60k on the clock, really not a oil problem why simply it does not use any ! it gets a service every 8000 miles

due to alot of stop starting...it is not seals had them tested, cold start blue smoke..but been fine last couple of days ! note not cold, no blue smoke !

some people see blue smoke and start to think the worse wow my car knacked, look if it was passing oil up the seals it would be there most of the time !

and you would never get from service to service, you would burn it off faster, i have had cars where yes blue smoke from oil out the back lol...

most of them been petrol ones..

could always try giving more heat next cold morning ! worked for me no blue smoke !

It could be failing plugs but it wouldn't do any harm to give everything a good clean out...

Wynns Diesel clean3 or BG244 (excellent but pricey)

Wynns EGR3 clean

Wynns Turbo clean

It stopped my lumpy smokey startups stone dead.

Any turbo diesel should be idled for at least a couple of minutes when started. I get a smoke haze now and again when I first start especially if I crank it before the glow plug light has gone out by mistake. It is mostly white smoke with a hint of blue in it, nothing to worry about.

It will be lumpy if driven cold, I get this more with super market fuel and when it's close to a service. Even on a hot day when I first run mine its lumpy, i just ease the throttle until the engine is at operating temp.

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/26241-18tdci-lumpy-when-cold/

I heat the glow plugs twice when it's really cold. Every engine uses a bit oil between services, the consumption rate is in most service manuals usually given per 1000 miles and that is why you should always check your oil level!