Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 Zetec S Tdci Range....

greedy86

Is it even worth having a car if you do less than 5K?! :P

Got to enjoy that 5K. Plus means I can bring it along to Ford Fair.

I'm actually likely to do more this year, it is a hobby of sorts, plus you can't argue with up to 250lbft of torque under your right foot :D

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• greedy86

• iNath

• alexp999

• sambooka

So....took the car for a long run in 4th gear last night.

Kept the rpm around 3500! For 20mins or so....

Haven't noticed anything different as of yet?

Going to fill up the car tonight though....then reset the trip and hope that the range is above 400 miles!

Seems strange that you have to do this - especially when the little green light comes on as soon as i take the foot of the clutch - telling me to change up! lol

Most 'normal' diesel drivers never have to do this as their commute warms the engine up sufficiently to burn off the soot and regenerate the DPF, only low mileage drivers will have this problem.

Ah right i see.

I wouldn't class myself as a "low milage" driver though really.

I've a fair commute each day.

Hopefully this will have solved the problem.

Is it worth trying to get it done under warranty if not?

Hi All

Take my 1.6tdci 2011 16890 miles out for a fast run each month no prob's but forget to leave in 4th so have had the odd close shave with the boys in blue.When i had my 1st service car had only done 7000 miles and was asked by TCH if I did any motorway miles so told them yes as i was going to Scotland that week and had done 1000 in a week in Feb 2012 they made a note of this so may have prob's on low mileage DPS cars?.

PS low to mid 50s (52 upwards)mpg all the time think the thank is only 40 lts so not a long range but 400 plus is the norm;

I'll check the tank size tonight....and the range once full!

Find it strange that such and economical car needs thrashed now and again! lol

**Thrashed - Steadily" haha

I'll check the tank size tonight....and the range once full!

Find it strange that such and economical car needs thrashed now and again! lol

**Thrashed - Steadily" haha

It only needs the "thrashing" if you are not doing the miles for the engine to get warm enough for long enough to complete the cycle itself. 10 miles really isn't much, not if you are also trying to save fuel.

A mechanic told me once, if you have a diesel and are not doing the mileage, it has to be driven hard to stop it sooting up.

Even my dad who has a 25-30 mile trip each way to work can sometimes find, especially in the winter it is showing the tell-tale signs of needing a regen, so he just does the next journey in 4th and it is fine.

Mhmmm....

Well i suppose it's a good excuse to go for a long drive! :)

Well let you know of the range later tonight - once it's filled to the neck! :P

I would be interested in the outcome of this too.

I pushed my range to 1 mile left last night, was also showing empty.

I had done 380ish miles on the tank, reported at about 50mpg. This is about normal, but only just seen what others have been getting out of a tank to realise it may not be normal.

However when filling up i could only squeeze 32 litres in the tank from what I remember.

Is it possible that the sensor is not right in the tank? Does it just not realise that the 10 litres or so of fuel is still left in the bottom of the tank?

I wouldn't like to try driving to test the theory.

Cheers

James

I would be interested in the outcome of this too.

I pushed my range to 1 mile left last night, was also showing empty.

I had done 380ish miles on the tank, reported at about 50mpg. This is about normal, but only just seen what others have been getting out of a tank to realise it may not be normal.

However when filling up i could only squeeze 32 litres in the tank from what I remember.

Is it possible that the sensor is not right in the tank? Does it just not realise that the 10 litres or so of fuel is still left in the bottom of the tank?

I wouldn't like to try driving to test the theory.

Cheers

James

I would get it checked out if you have any warranty left. The tank is 40l and I used to get about 38.5l in if I had driven it right down to near empty.

I'll let the garage know. Its 3 year old next month.

So will be getting it looked at asap, as well as the steering wheel controls looked at again.

I would get it checked out if you have any warranty left. The tank is 40l and I used to get about 38.5l in if I had driven it right down to near empty.

So....i filled it up tonight. There was 40miles of fuel left in it....

It took 32.8 litres! Which (please correct me if i'm wrong) means 7.2 gallons!

So i did around 350miles to the tank - which means thats averaging 48.6mpg?

Is it definately a 40 litre tank?

Does this sound right??

Thoughts appriciated.

I've also reset all trip computers to see how i get on with this tank....

Definitely 40l yes (42l for petrol). Sounds like something is causing the pump to cut off too soon.

So....i should take it to the garage?

It's still under warranty!

I'm not a big fan of those tanks tbh - funny nozzle on it

So....i should take it to the garage?

It's still under warranty!

I'm not a big fan of those tanks tbh - funny nozzle on it

I would yes.

Yeah, could have some crap in their or something >.<

Now....silly question but....

What exactly should i tell them?

The pumps not working? The gauge isn't working....?!

Hi do you stop at the first click? (tank may not be full) try a reset of the MPG before you fill up I think this may alter the range ? if the on board comp; thinks you have done 55 mpg the range will more than if it thinks you have done 45 mpg.I think?.

PS Hope this is the case feel free to tell me if not.

It varies a bit to how much it is wrong Ming for example is always under estimating mine by 3-4 mpg and if I don't stop at the first click it overflows out the top

Diesel will froth up more then unleaded due to its oily nature, the click is the fuel nozzle, and when the bubbles hit it.

Let it settle a few seconds and add a bit more, but as mentioned, go too far and it will pee out the overflow under the car, and what is on the floor you have to pay for!!!!

Some ppl put the whole nozzle RIGHT in, some only half in.. I have the nozzle half in, click add a bit more, done!!

One possibility is that it is trying to do a DPF regen, or is in need of one.

Is yours the 1.4 or 1.6? If 1.6 is it the 90PS or 95PS version?

How could i find out if a 12 reg 1.4 TDCi titanium has a DPF or not?

My other half has had her car nearly a year, used to display 54 ish mpg average now with sometimes going up to 68 mpg and regularly once getting 61 mpg, and she is a lively driver. But it has steadily got worse!! Barely doing 45 to 47 mpg now and she just sits on cruise doing 65, and now only getting 370 miles to a tank if she is lucky.

It is due a service as its just clocked 1 yr old, and wondered if it could be that or this DPF, have said maybe she should mention it to the techy at the service centre but worried she might get the run around and do stuff costing god knows what for no results....

Any advice appreciated..

How could i find out if a 12 reg 1.4 TDCi titanium has a DPF or not?

Easy - it doesn't ;)

Only the 1.6 after 2010 i think has a dpf filter

Easy - it doesn't ;)

Dam it!!!

Was hoping that would be the case, an take it for a spin! Hmm, ok i will have to find out as much as i can why the mpg has dropped...