Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Faulty Clutch? Slipping.

Livernonion

Hi,

I have had no issues as late however I was returning home from a very short journey.

Whilst accelerating in 2nd the rev counter increased/shot up and I gained no acceleration/speed.

I geared up to 3rd and the speed increased but again once I applied acceleration the revs were screaming but getting no acceleration power?

If I remove any pressure and reapply the car accelerates?

I drove around for a good hour and this continued, 1st and 5th dont seem to have any issues.

I left the car for a few hours.

I have set off in 2nd and 4th and the car stalled.

I have dropped from 3rd to 2nd and the rev counter increases suggesting the clutch is fine?

Following these tests I took the car out and have not had any issues to date.

I dont have any burning smell or any warning/engine man lights.

Fromwhat I have read it suggests the clutch is slipping? Is this the case or could it be something else?

Am I on the road to a new clutch :( ? Before I go to the local garage with no fault/issuue at the moment.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help.

pull away with the handbrake on.. you'l soon know if its slipping .. :wub:

pull away with the handbrake on.. you'l soon know if its slipping .. :wub:

Hi,

Thanks for response.

It pulls in 1st with handbrake engaged.

Was told to try higher gears with handbrake although car stalled?

my mk1 did the same but needed a new clutch is the bite at the very end of the pedal.....it may be a leak in the slave or master cylinder in the driver footwell up at the top of the clutch pedal you will feel oil if its the master if its the slave the brake fluid will go down and youll find oil on the bottom of the gearbox bell housing despite the tests it sounds very much like its slipping

my mk1 did the same but needed a new clutch is the bite at the very end of the pedal.....it may be a leak in the slave or master cylinder in the driver footwell up at the top of the clutch pedal you will feel oil if its the master if its the slave the brake fluid will go down and youll find oil on the bottom of the gearbox bell housing despite the tests it sounds very much like its slipping

Many thanks for your detailed response.

I have just recently had to top the brake fluid up as was rather low so does very much yonder like the slave.

(The bite is pretty much at the top of the pedal)

Will check in morning if oil on end of pedal but by sounds of it I'm forking out for a clutch :(

It's just odd how since the (incident) all has been fine with the clutch/acceleration however I'm sure it will occur again.

Many thanks for your detailed response.

I have just recently had to top the brake fluid up as was rather low so does very much yonder like the slave.

(The bite is pretty much at the top of the pedal)

Will check in morning if oil on end of pedal but by sounds of it I'm forking out for a clutch :(

It's just odd how since the (incident) all has been fine with the clutch/acceleration however I'm sure it will occur again.

Just checked top of pedal clear of oil, after looking in engine remembered was the power steering fluid that was topped up (with correct fluid) not the brake fluid after all?

I just had my clutch and pressure plate and slave done no slipping no indication it was going it just packed in leaving me stranded so if in doubt most garages will check it free to ease youre mind

I just had my clutch and pressure plate and slave done no slipping no indication it was going it just packed in leaving me stranded so if in doubt most garages will check it free to ease youre mind

Many thanks for feedback,

Gonna get it checked out, I've not settled since its done it (although ok now) I've got a few big runs coming up and don't wanna risk my or other people's safety just ignoring it or forgetting bout it. Was expecting clutch from research I did just kinda hoped could've been something else n cheaper :/

• 3 weeks later...

Many thanks for feedback,

Gonna get it checked out, I've not settled since its done it (although ok now) I've got a few big runs coming up and don't wanna risk my or other people's safety just ignoring it or forgetting bout it. Was expecting clutch from research I did just kinda hoped could've been something else n cheaper :/

Hi,

Clutch changed and working perfectly. Old clutch had just become old and tired.

New query If anyone can help or advise please???

On checked the manual for tyre pressures it suggests 195/60 r15 2.2/2.2.

On checking the tyres it appears to have a differnece size on the car 195/50 r15...

Could nyone tell me if this is legal/safe/acceptable and how could I gauge what psi level to put in the tyre?

Many thanks in advance.

There would be very little difference between the two sizes. You will be fine. I use full load pressures all the time. I prefer the harder feel but it also means that I don't have to increase the pressures when I have 5 people in the car and then let them down again afterwards.

There would be very little difference between the two sizes. You will be fine. I use full load pressures all the time. I prefer the harder feel but it also means that I don't have to increase the pressures when I have 5 people in the car and then let them down again afterwards.

Cheers mate thats a relief...

Got a big trip due with full load so was unsure what to put in.. Will go for psi as of a195/60 then and dont need to rush out to buy new tyres. (loads of meat on others)

Many thanks. :)

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club