Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2007 Mondeo 1.8 Tdci - Won't Start

Lukas

Hey guys,

My 2007 1.8 TDCI Edge Ford mondeo (96,000miles) cut out on me while taking off from some traffic lights the other day. The car had been running fine and then as I accelerated from the lights the car revs seemed to go way up and then I heard a whining noise, the car lost power and then died on me. I have been unable to start it since. When I turn the key the radio and windows etc still come on but the ignition just makes a clicking sound. Previously there have been a couple of times when the car would not start but as these were random incidents split by months I put it down to the frosty weather and a low battery. I also noticed a few times where I have went to change gear and it seemed like it was sticking but on second attempt worked fine. Not sure if these are be related. Does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?

I have been told that it could be the flywheel but I've also been told by others that it could be the starter / drive belt

Thanks

get it seen to by a mechanic mate. sounds like too much goin on there,at same time. mechanic will get it code read etc anyway

waste of time just guessing,but it could be your dmf. if its come apart,then it wont start. sensor has no teeth to count if this is the case i suppose.

Thanks for the reply mate. I've left it into a mechanic now, he thinks the solenoid in the starter motor might be the problem.

starter solenoid doesnt really explain the initial problem accelerating from lights....this sounds more like a flywheel/clutch problem

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I have taken the car to a mechanic and he has told me that all the engine valves have been broken and one of the injectors has broken because a value got pushed into it after breaking. He says the timing chain looks fine and the belt is fine so he has no idea whats has caused this. He is going to replace the engine but is worried that without knowing what caused it, the same thing could happen again.

Does anyone have any ideas what could have caused this?

He also checked the flywheel and it is fine, was replaced in 2010 and he says the starter solenoid is ok too.

Thanks

so the piston popped up, knocked out the valves and injectors, and left no trace?

an unlikely story I have to say, maybe its just my cynicism... a replacement engine may well resolve the issue, if the rocker arms, or the crankshaft is knackered but I would have thought he would have checked that...

long story short, you cant have damage with no trace of the problem...

Ok so I have taken the car to a mechanic and he has told me that all the engine valves have been broken and one of the injectors has broken because a value got pushed into it after breaking. He says the timing chain looks fine and the belt is fine so he has no idea whats has caused this. He is going to replace the engine but is worried that without knowing what caused it, the same thing could happen again.

Does anyone have any ideas what could have caused this?

He also checked the flywheel and it is fine, was replaced in 2010 and he says the starter solenoid is ok too.

Thanks

Basically, this sounds a bit unlikely, or there is some missing information.

If all the valves (both inlets and exhausts and all the cylinders) have crashed into the pistons, then I'm not sure that I have an explanation: If it was just one cylinder, then you'd think of things that might cause the piston to be in the wrong place at the wrong time (bent con-rod, etc) or if it was just, say, inlet valves then you'd think about what might cause them to be in an unfortunate place (broken timing chain, timing chain jumped a link), but that wouldn't usually get all valves, just, say, the inlets or even just one cylinder. So, that part is a bit mysterious.

Equally, the lack of other evidence is odd. A broken timing chain ought to be very obvious...jumped a link might be less obvious, until you start doing some measuring, but still, it should be far enough out that something should look odd if you turn the engine over.

I also noticed a few times where I have went to change gear and it seemed like it was sticking but on second attempt worked fine.

A sticky gearchange when cold is fairly normal...if that doesn't go away by the time that the temp gauge has come off the zero position, then you start getting worried.

Thanks for the advice guys I will have a chat with my mechanic again, if I can get more information from him I'll post it up and if I can't I'll maybe have to take it someone else.

Thanks again

the broken injector might be a clue, could be the other way round than he is thinking..

injector collapses...chucks in excessive fuel giving the increase in revs, debris causes valve/piston damage...

the only thing i would struggle with is why other valves get done..

very strange though, whichever way you look at it

one other thing, has turbo been checked, just wondering if youve had some kind of rapid runaway problem...would again explain revs, as well as the whine, plus wouldnt be suprised to see some cylinder damage too...

Well, I suppose if the engine exceeded its max rpm, for some reason, the valves could float and some could hit the pistons.... It would still leave the mystery of why the engine exceeded its max rpm, but that would be plausible.