Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help Please, Dash Pod Gauge

ajt

Im hoping someone can help me out.

I recently acquired a dash pod gauge, and following Lennys guide, want to fit it to my TDCi. I want to keep the original gauges and drive them of the canbus. My problem is that there are alot more pins than I expected. I think I have worked out that all the pins I want are on the same row, and I think the order is as follows

1. Can H (?)

2. Can L (?)

3. Think Power + (maybe dial illumination)

4. GND

5. Power + (IGN)

6. Power + (Perm)

On the other row appear to be at least two pairs of DATA lines and another GND.

I have applied power to 4 and 6, then jumped 6 and 5. This cause the gauge to zero, pulling about 90ma dropping to about 35ma a few seconds later.

I know the middle boost gauge only reads to 1.2 bar, and on a diesel you will need 2 bar for full boost, but the gauge actual has a sweep of about 345 deg (almost one complete cirlce. So if I just offset the needle to be horizontal pointing to the right, then two bar would be approximately horizontal to the left. Anyhow, getting into irrelevant detail until I can work out for definate which pins to use. So on with my plea for help:

Can any body offer a wiring diagram, take a picture of the actual plug (fitted in RS and ST I believe), or attempt to decode the colours and location of the attached picture (You wouldn't believe how long it took me to find this!)

post-26903-0-53491000-1366229597_thumb.j

I perhaps should have mentioned my colour sight is not brilliant, I just want some opinions as to what can be seen in the picture.

For example would anybody agree that the far right looks like Grey/Red (Which happens to be Can + on the OBDII connector aswell?), and the one next to it could it be Blue/Red (which is Can - on the OBDII)

Just for Reference, and in the interest of maybe starting some debate I have attached the DLC pinout (OBDII).

To me it looks like most of the populated pins may match directly to the plug in the back of the Pod, and the list I gave in first post may tie up (numbering right to left, i.e. farthest right is number one).

post-26903-0-93810900-1366306894_thumb.j

Wh - White

Bu - Blue

Gy - Grey

Ye - Yellow

Bn - Brown

Bk - Black

Na - Natural (?)

Og - Orange

Rd - Red

Pk - Pink

Gn - Green

Vt -Violet

Sr - Silver

Lg - Light Green

I would love the new ST pod on my Focus , but they are like Hens teeth to find at the moment , plus i doubt it would be an easy fit , answer as usual from Ford was "No" when i asked.

Pree, there has been one on eBay for about £25..might have sold now.

Alan, wish i could help but you know my history with electrics!

@Mrnobody: Kiss, kiss Kiss, you absolute star, kiss, kiss,kiss..... and thats enough of that, ahem. But honestly, thankyou. It appears to verify my findings, with the exception of the single orange wire on the top row? The circuit connected to this pin looks more like a data line than a power line.

Would you please confirm that I am seeing the colours correctly, and there are no hidden stripes that i'm missing.

Reading from left to right, bottom row

Grey/Red

Blue/Red

Yellow

Black/Orange

Green/Red

Orange

Top Row

Orange(same as the one bellow it?)

Have to ask, is it you holding the plug, and if so are you still using it, and if not I know a good home for it?! ;)

Tomorrow Im helping reflt someones shed roof, so probably won't get to testing it until Sunday afternoon now, but it is look hopeful. I'm hoping this module requests the data it wants, rather than having to be programmed into the system to receive the data. Just have to try it.

Reading from left to right, bottom row

Grey/Red

Blue/Red

Yellow/BLUE ***

Black/Orange

Green/Red

Orange

Top Row just one Orange(over the Orange)

got it over a year ago with the pod/dash top never had time to fit it :(

let me know how you get on.

Well my first post appears to be coorect with the addition of a second permanent ornage on the top row. Not a bad "educated" guess. (I just hooked up a 9v battery)

... and it gets better. I think I can splice into connector A on the back of the stereo for all connections, including canbus, but i will gerry rig it to the OBDII in coin tray first, before I take a stanley knife to my dash..

and if this works, then I am going to have to modify the dials

Original:

post-26903-0-75103600-1366393596_thumb.j

and extend the Boost range along the following lines (as stated befor the dial range is about 330 deg, so if i use 180 i can do the following (just physically turn pointer to 0 after gauge has zeroed)

post-26903-0-36796400-1366393624_thumb.j

Obviously produce it better then laser print to transparency and perhaps put white tissue papper behind it. Any better ideas?

Pree, there has been one on ebay for about £25..might have sold now.

Alan, wish i could help but you know my history with electrics!

Hi Sal, i saw one listed as an old item that had come from another site , but that finished and there was no wiring harness with it sadly , problem being there is probably no harness in my car either for it , i completely removed the radio and the climate , i only found one connector free , which was left hand side of the climate controls and i doubt that it was anything to do with the Boost Pod

and if this works, then I am going to have to modify the dials

and extend the Boost range along the following lines (as stated befor the dial range is about 330 deg, so if i use 180 i can do the following (just physically turn pointer to 0 after gauge has zeroed)

Obviously produce it better then laser print to transparency and perhaps put white tissue papper behind it. Any better ideas?

Sounds a good idea to me , or you could just print in what ever colour you want and then laminate it to stiffen it up

Hi Sal, i saw one listed as an old item that had come from another site , but that finished and there was no wiring harness with it sadly , problem being there is probably no harness in my car either for it , i completely removed the radio and the climate , i only found one connector free , which was left hand side of the climate controls and i doubt that it was anything to do with the Boost Pod

didnt realise it was an old one!

Alan, good luck with the conversion - if you get yours up and running then its only a matter of time before we meet again!

I am loving the 2.4Bar gauge! eat that RS owners!

you will not get the 180 deg with the cover on

post-30618-0-85368800-1366394236_thumb.j

didnt realise it was an old one!

How long ago did you see it , search "Ford Focus St Turbo Boost Pod" only brings up the Mk2 version for me :(

Close up with Wire colours

post-22424-0-43472200-1366396482_thumb.j

have you got the hs-can schemtic as well? (for the can wires)

o and a hi res pic of the 1st one...thanks

I'm on my baby netbook , can't get a clear image zoomable

you will not get the 180 deg with the cover on

I have tried it, and it is very tight, but I think it will. I'll try and take a video showing it.

I have tried it, and it is very tight, but I think it will. I'll try and take a video showing it.

hope it works,i will have to find the time to have a go..

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club