Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help Please, Dash Pod Gauge

ajt

Thanks for the schematics aswell, It all gives me more confidence that it will work.

Sorry to be a bit ignorant, especially when people showing interest, but I have been "allowed" to reply during Enders, then I have show my own brand of "special" care to my worn out gf!

But my gut instinct is, THIS WILL WORK.

So get the gauges before they start soaring in price!

• Like 1

How long ago did you see it , search "Ford Focus St Turbo Boost Pod" only brings up the Mk2 version for me :(

yeah i had a good look last night so i am guessing its been over 6 weeks since i saw it. if i see one again i will give you a shout - try the motorhogs breakers website - they have plenty of cars breaking!

Alan, give you gf some TLC and then get your a s s back on here lol!

• Like 2

Cheers Sal , i'm looking also

If i can't get one to work i'll just put it on , light it up , remove the gubbins and add some swing weights on the dials to make them move haha , like a nodding dog :)

looking at the schematics this "should" work

Im hoping someone can help me out.

I know the middle boost gauge only reads to 1.2 bar, and on a diesel you will need 2 bar for full boost, but the gauge actual has a sweep of about 345 deg (almost one complete cirlce. So if I just offset the needle to be horizontal pointing to the right, then two bar would be approximately horizontal to the left.:

)

attachicon.gifdashpodback.jpg

The gauge may go "off the scale" or may not read the correct boost pressure, ideally it would need to be re-calibrated with the scale modified

• Like 1

The gauge may go "off the scale" or may not read the correct boost pressure, ideally it would need to be re-calibrated with the scale modified

My thinking is that it is a linear scale driven from an absolute value, not a variable voltage.

So quick !Removed! packet calculation, 1.2 bar is represented by a sweep of 90 degrees = 75deg/bar

So 2 bar would require a sweep of 75*2= 150deg.

I have tried the pointer sweeping from right to left, with gauge in pod. The needle just misses at both edges, but is achivable.

My car has actual recorded data (after I fixed my turbo) showing 30psi (very briefly), which would require a sweep of 180 deg to show as 2.4 bar.

At the end of the day, I want to see if I can get the original gauges working, and hopefully later this afternoon, after usual Sunday mornig Family stuff, I will have an answer.

As for accuracy thing, I curently have an analogue turbo gauge (driven from inlet manifold). When I first hooked it up I could get it to shoot past 27 psi quite regularly, but with a real annoying buzzing. I had to restrict the input so much that it only indicates that its getting to about 20, but on average abourt 17. The point is, I now now what "normal" operation of my turbo is. I wouldn't care if it had no numbers on the dial, all I care is that it is behaving the same way that I have previously witnessed. If it starts misbehaving then time to look at turbo before it goes bang again.

Consistent readings (i.e same input produces same output (not a random output)) are better than no readings.

Alan, give you gf some TLC and then get your a s s back on here lol!

Thanks Sal, that got me a dig in the ribs from gf! She read it over my shoulder when it came through to my phone. :)

Thanks Sal, that got me a dig in the ribs from gf! She read it over my shoulder when it came through to my phone. :)

aww sorry mate. oi gf, leave the poor bloke alone otherwise i'll have to report this incident as domestic abuse lol!

good luck Alan at getting this working, lots of us waiting with our fingers crossed!

• Like 1

Sorry guys, today did not go as planned, so did not get around to lashing up to car.

Did manage to realise I am going to have to make a plug, no way can I hold 7 wires in place by hand, worried about shorting something. Went to maplins, but they didn't have anything suitable. May pop to scrappy in lunch hour tomorrow, to see if I can beg any twelve pin connector to rewire.

Hi ! I'm from Poland :)

I tried install gauges from ST to TDCI. Unfortunately, gauges doesn't work. Works only oil pressure.

Turbo and oil temperature doesn't work :( Mayby TDCI doesn't have map sensor and oil pressure sensor.

Here you have a connection :

1,2 - battery 12V

3 - ground
4 - ignition 12V
5 - can - ( pin 17 in main gauges / cable color : blue/red )
6 - can + ( pin 18 in main gauges / cable color : gray/red )

7 - ilumination - battery 12V

Sorry for my english.

• Like 1

@PantherPL

Thats a bit disappointing, but the turbo info is on the canbus, as I can read it using the FF OBD reader, or am I missing something?

Damn....Just realised I was reading absoulute manifold pressure. I guess this isn't turbo boost then.

I will still give it ago though.

In my opinnion turbo pressure is from PCM Computer like oil pressure. I don't know why turbo pressure doesn't work :(

Maybe we must use ELM Config to turn on something about this sensors or go to Ford service to use original IDS Computer.

Damn....Just realised I was reading absoulute manifold pressure. I guess this isn't turbo boost then.

I will still give it ago though.

Absolute manifold pressure (Manifold Absolute Pressure - from the MAP sensor- ) is how the ECU reads the boost pressure

On a modern turbo diesel engine the ECU monitors the Absolute Manifold Pressure and controls the electronic actuator thus maintaining the boost pressure

the st2 may use the data from MAF sensor to drive the boost gauge - so you may be on the right lines - may not be easy though

If you can't get it (the st2 boost gauge) to work that way, you could drive the meter on the st2 boost gauge from an aftermarket boost gauge with seperate sender

FOCA may have a point - the LED sweep gauges convert the reading into and electronic reading from a boost hose.

i got a set from mcgill motorsport and they look like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLASMA-DISPLAY-TURBO-BOOST-GAUGE-IN-BAR-52mm-/160953567418?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item25799488ba#ht_1751wt_758

i will get a pic of the bit that converts the reading

OK bad news, I can confirm PantherPL findings, only oil Pressure works. Doh. Back to the drawing board.

Also found if you coonect to CAN medium, you loose outside temperature display, value replaced with hyphens, and the handbrake symbol stays on.

OK bad news, I can confirm PantherPL findings, only oil Pressure works. Doh. Back to the drawing board.

Also found if you coonect to CAN medium, you loose outside temperature display, value replaced with hyphens, and the handbrake symbol stays on.

So its not straightforward, but nothing is impossible - the actual meter on the boost gauge will be a moving coil or moving magnet analog meter, you could take an aftermarket electronic boost gauge with the same type of meter, and an electronic sender, and connect it to the boost gauge meter on the st pod. the only part of the ST or TDCI electronics that would be used would be the ST boost meter itself (not its electronics) the aftermarket gauge would have its own sender (seperate from the cars/ ST pods electronics) connected to the boost hoses/ inlet manifold so would not rely on the cars' MAF etc

So basically its an aftermarket boost gauge with the analog meter removed and (electronically) replaced with the boost gauge meter in the pod

The other non- functioning gauges could be modified/ activated in a similar way

I hope i've explained it so it can be easily understood