Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Battery Light Flashes On When Breaking & Changing Gear....

Flynns60

Hi

Wonder if someone can help. My car is a Ford Focus Ghia (2002) and sometimes when breaking & changing gear my battery light flashes on for a few seconds and the engine feels like its going to stall, but doesn't, and then the lights goes away. It's been happening very occasionally for while but is beginning to happen more frequenly. Two weeks ago a brand new battery was installed and i hoped this might resolve the problem but it's still happening and more alarmingly its happened twice whilst turning a corner and i've completely lost my steering - narrowly avoiding a crash on both occasions.

Just wondered if anyone had any advice as to what might be the cause/possible solution ?

Many thanks

My guess is that it is either the Idle Control Valve or the throttle position sensor. More likely the ICV is just slow to react as it may be gummed up with age and soot.

has the battery been changed? it sounds like it could be giving early signs of failure...

Do you have difficulty starting her in the morning? any long turnovers?

can you put a multimeter across it? cold should be around 12v, engine running should be around 14.5v

Thanks for your replies !

BTMALDON - where can i find the ICV or throttle position sensor ?

JEEBOWHITE - yes, a brand new battery was fitted 2 weeks ago. So it starts fine, first time, with no long turnovers. I haven't put a mutlimetre across it but will give that a try......

JOHNH - which are the earth straps ?

Thanks again

Basically get the car up on ramps and check all thick cables attached to the body work, chassis and gearbox there will only be 3 or 4

start at the begining the battery was changed but is it the right type a silver calcium battery if it isnt the light will flash if it is the correct battery then i would check to see if they tightened the battery terminals up correctly

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club