Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buying Help Focus

Cornish dave

Hi I am thinking of buying a focus estate, I have had Vauxhall vectras with the vectras there are engines to avoid ie 2.2 have timming chain problems, and 120 diesels have egr probs need cleaning a lot ,150 have swirle flap problems Are there any engine problems or engines to avoid on the focus looking at 07 to 09 plate any help would be appreciated

The common discussion on diesels is to go for the 1.8 cause it is a good solid tank of an engine and doesnt have the dreaded dpf

the 1.6 etc does have the dpf

a good work around though if you did go for a 1.6 is to have the dpf removed and get a remap

i'm a petrol owner so i cant go into that much detail but theres plenty of threads about discussing all the options and i'm sure a diesel owner will pop up shortly to advise on this (cue clive)

Thanks it dose not have to be diesel just trying to avoid common problems and get the best engine advice

All the petrol engines are reliable in the Mk2 and 2.5. Its down to what economy or performance you want. I have a 1.6 and it regularly does 42 mpg. Mid range torque is good for motorway driving. Your not going to burn off an Alfa in it but it does ok. Obviously you lose economy for more power with the bigger engines, but the whole range is lively and reliable.

i'm a petrol owner so i cant go into that much detail but theres plenty of threads about discussing all the options and i'm sure a diesel owner will pop up shortly to advise on this (cue clive)

I thought I felt my spider senses tingle, cheers Charlie.

I drive a 1.8 diesel as my own car and a 2.0 diesel for work and they're both good runners however the 1.8 is the only true all Ford engine in the diesel range (the others being rejigged Peugeot/Citroen engines).

All have the much maligned dual mass flywheel but as pointed out already the 1.8 does not have the dreaded DPF.

The 1.8 is generally classed as less refined than the others and is reasonably low tech as an 8 valve rather than 16 valve on other blocks but that means that it's as tough as nails and i believe this makes it the workhorse of the range.

As long at any car you choose has good regular services carried out you'll be fine.

One weak spot can be the fuel filter but to be honest all Ford diesels tend to be sensitive to manky fuel filters, but as long as you get a regular service you'll be fine.

Another check point is the EGR, a clogged one can affect performance but this is easily blanked off and lets the engine breathe nice clean air.

The standard Ford recommendation for belts/chains is 125k but many get them done as a pre-emptive hit anytime between 75k to 100k.

In my opinion as long as servicing is spot on and the car is rust free you can't go far wrong, my personal opinion is that if you positively absolutely have to get a diesel, go for the 1.8.

The MK2/2.5 Focus can easily be modified and personalised, there are many good guides available here for anything from subtle cosmetic touches to full on slammed and screaming.

My car was totally stock 18 months ago, take a look at my signature photo for the small changes I've made since then.

At the end of the day though, the best thing you can do is get one or two out on the road, open up the taps and make up your own mind after you get the smile off your face.

Thanks no dose not have to be a diesel are there any things to look for with petrol open to any advice many thanks

Hi Dave , I have had my focus 1.8 diesel for 10 years now and when I bought it the mileage was 40k now it's 120k . It's been serviced every year and the only problems I've had are;

1- two alternator belts

2- clutch replaced at 110k miles at a cost of £450 ( not mass fly wheel)

3- new front springs £60

4- rear shockers £50

That's the only problems I've had in 10 years , still on same exhaust , battery, glow plugs , injectors and it starts 2/3 turn of the engine every time with very very little smoke . It still cruises at motorway speeds and pulls like a workhorse .

Hope this helps

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club