Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Filling Up With Petrol Problem

Blue4life64

Hello I seem to be having problems filling my focus 2008 mk2.5 with fuel (petrol) the pump keeps clicking when I fill it up ? like when the tank is full ! it takes ages to fill it and its becoming a real pain !!!!

has anyone else had the same problem ? if so how did they fix it.

thanks

its not the focus its the pump turn the pump handle slightly to one side and its fine

or simply dont pull the handle all the way up!

Hello I seem to be having problems filling my focus 2008 mk2.5 with fuel (petrol) the pump keeps clicking when I fill it up ? like when the tank is full ! it takes ages to fill it and its becoming a real pain !!!!

has anyone else had the same problem ? if so how did they fix it.

thanks

The petrol pump's nozzle have a built-in thing that senses when the tank may get full by the way the petrol fumes and pressure in the tank (I'm sure someone will explain this in better technical way) reachs the sensor, something akin to how a blind person is able to fill up a cup without overfilling the cup. Are you aware that a blind person tend to put one finger over the edge of the cup, into the cup, so when filling up, if their finger feels the tea or whatever touchs their finger, they stop pouring.

If you don't put the nozzle in correctly, say at a wrong angle, it is possible for petrol to splash against the wall of the tube or something like that, that can easily send back some liquid or fumes to the sensor, that somehow tricked the nozzel into thinking your tank is getting full. So the trick is, and I agree with artscot79, to move the nozzle around, move it to one side, angle it in a different way, you just keep trying different angles until you got to a point where it will keep filling without clicking stop until tank is nearly full. At this point, you try your best to remember how you hold the nozzle.

Next time you fill up, just hold the nozzle the same way you held it when you first find out it would keep filling without clicking stop all the time.

It's not much different from say, the first time you held a drill, and tried drilling a hole in the wall, but you made a mess of the job, so you learn to try to hold it correctly, hold it at correct angle, and such, the more you learn how to hold it the right way, the more you get used to it, the more it drills the hole better.

• 5 weeks later...

its not the focus its the pump turn the pump handle slightly to one side and its fine

Doesn't make a difference :(

The petrol pump's nozzle have a built-in thing that senses when the tank may get full by the way the petrol fumes and pressure in the tank (I'm sure someone will explain this in better technical way) reachs the sensor, something akin to how a blind person is able to fill up a cup without overfilling the cup. Are you aware that a blind person tend to put one finger over the edge of the cup, into the cup, so when filling up, if their finger feels the tea or whatever touchs their finger, they stop pouring.

If you don't put the nozzle in correctly, say at a wrong angle, it is possible for petrol to splash against the wall of the tube or something like that, that can easily send back some liquid or fumes to the sensor, that somehow tricked the nozzel into thinking your tank is getting full. So the trick is, and I agree with artscot79, to move the nozzle around, move it to one side, angle it in a different way, you just keep trying different angles until you got to a point where it will keep filling without clicking stop until tank is nearly full. At this point, you try your best to remember how you hold the nozzle.

Next time you fill up, just hold the nozzle the same way you held it when you first find out it would keep filling without clicking stop all the time.

It's not much different from say, the first time you held a drill, and tried drilling a hole in the wall, but you made a mess of the job, so you learn to try to hold it correctly, hold it at correct angle, and such, the more you learn how to hold it the right way, the more you get used to it, the more it drills the hole better.

Ive never had it working correctly always clicking but as my wife fills it up she seems to put up with it. I tried today and to say it P**sed me off is an understatement.

please help.

Hey! Yep I'm with everyone else.

I made an idiot out of myself asking a garage for help with this for them to tell me it's the pump's sensor - nothing wrong with my cars!

I asked a petrol station manager about it and he told me that you're supposed to tell them which pump is clicking and doing it because they're supposed to be replaced.

I say 'supposed' because I've now Been telling my local one for 2 years and I've had 3 cars in that time and I now know which pumps are faulty and which are not!!

I don't suppose anyone has a diagram of the fuel tank and pipe. Because someone has told me that it might be a kink in it ?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Same problem with 2005 Tdci driving me nuts. Ford not much help saying no known issues. Tried all ways of inserting the nozzle no change. Read up on various forums some suggesting spider nests in vent line.... Anyone succeeded fixing this???

I don't remember or think i ever had this problem with mine but i know for sure i had it on a rented 2009 model, the vehicle in front filled up no problem. same pump different car and i had a world of problem filling up. Much wiggling on several fill up attempts different gas station different pumps etc i worked out a way of doing so.

Insert the pump as you would normally in a straight forward way, without the hose pulling the handle to one side, then push down on the pump applying pressure you will see the filler cap tilt/wiggle, then fill up. This worked for me, what i gathered from it all is the seal around the gas tank cover/cap/whatever doesn't allow for any breathing space as you fill up and causes the pump to click thinking the tank is full.

Another thing is make sure the pump is inserted correctly, i have seen some deformed shaped pumps before that doesn't insert correctly