Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo 2.0 Tdci 130 6 Speed

englishbullterrier

Hi all, new to your forum and have introcuced myself in the New Members section.

I'm just upgrading from a Focus 1.8 Tdci Estate as it's not big enough to tow my caravan.

Going to see a Mondeo 2.0 Tdci 130 6 speed.

Just wondered about what common faults these cars have have, any special service upgrades recommended and generally what to look forward to.

Kind regards................ebt

Common faults are - EGR valve, DMF (dual mass flywheel) and injectors

The EGR can be blocked with a solid plate (about £5 online) and the EGR and inlet manifold cleaned out (one last time) - the other common faults are usually more expensive to remedy, depending on the milage, the dpf may have been replaced already

Ive had my car 8+ years now, its fast and reliable, and a good all round car, ive replaced the (soft) DMF with a solid flywheel, carbon fiber uprated clutch, i was one of the 1st to fit an EGR delete, and i have special injectors, so that is probably why the car is so reliable (the common faults have been circumvented)

A tuning box or a bluefin/ remap would help the car tow better

I blanked the EGR off on my recent 2.0 Freelander with the BMW engine. Also uprated the crankcase breather from Landrover to BMW. Is that necessary on the Tdci ?

I understand about DMF's but didn't realise there was a non dual mass one available for the Mondeo. If/when it fails, I'll certainly consider that. Much difference in feel ?

I guess the injectors are expensive ? How easy to change the DPF ?

Sorry for all the questions :(

mk3 mondeos dont have dpfs so you dont need to worry there.

other faults as well as the above can be

If the DMF goes more than likely the starter will need replacing too

handbrake cable sticking or rattling

air hoses splitting, mainly the intercooler to egr hose

oil cooler and water thermostats can fail which lead to the car takeing ages to warm up

water leaks around doors and through the pollen filter

faulty electrics

fuel pump

brake caliper guide rods sticking

heated windscreen not working (fuses or broken wiring0

windscreen washer motor failing

drivers seat raising motor (cogs wear)

turbo failure

aux belt and tensioner

there are more but dont want to scare you :lol:

this site may help some of the faults and give you plenty of ideas if you decide to tinker too

http://www.fordwiki.co.uk/index.php?title=Category:Mondeo_Mk3

• Like 1

On the Mondeos its ok to blank the EGR on a Euro3 compliant engine, (normally there is no problems/ drawbacks, only advantages)

On a Euro4/5 engine (you can tell its Euro4 because it has an electronic EGR) the engine management light may come on (straight away or after a few or many miles) if a solid blanking plate is fitted - some prefer this

A plate with a hole on it to let gasses through has been found to be a waste of time

A solid plate can "fix" a faulty, jammed or leaking EGR valve, and prevent future potential problems with the EGR

Normally you notice less flat spots, smoother power and engine pulls a little better from low down, and possibly very slightly better consumption - the difference is usually quite subtle - EGR and inlet/ manifold will stay clean though,

Breather, its not normally recon'd a breather upgrade is nessesary on the Mondeo, the breather does deposit oily mist into the boost pipes (between the airbox & turbo) which then coats the turbo hoses with a film of oil, this is not a major broblem,(compared to the EGR, for example) but over time the intercooler can get clogged up (the oily vapor/ mist can condense here) and the oil can react with the rubber in the boost hoses, softening them, the oil also mixes with the carbon/ soot from the EGR, producing a "gloop" in the inlet manifold

You could fit a catchtank to the breather, but cleaning out the intercooler, inlet manifold, EGR housing and fitting a solid blanking plate is probably sufficient

I fitted a Solid Flywheel/ SMF, i like the feel of it and it has been 100% reliable, others (mostly those that have not actually fitted one) do not share my enthusiasm for SMFs,

Solid flywheels were fitted to some Transits and Mondeos, i recommend you get one with a sprung plate to put the "give" back in the transmission

The mk3 has a small CAT, but no DPF (if you meant DPF, rather than DMF) :)

• Like 1

On the Mondeos its ok to blank the EGR on a Euro3 compliant engine, (normally there is no problems/ drawbacks, only advantages)

On a Euro4/5 engine (you can tell its Euro4 because it has an electronic EGR) the engine management light may come on (straight away or after a few or many miles) if a solid blanking plate is fitted - some prefer this

A plate with a hole on it to let gasses through has been found to be a waste of time

A solid plate can "fix" a faulty, jammed or leaking EGR valve, and prevent future potential problems with the EGR

Normally you notice less flat spots, smoother power and engine pulls a little better from low down, and possibly very slightly better consumption - the difference is usually quite subtle - EGR and inlet/ manifold will stay clean though,

Breather, its not normally recon'd a breather upgrade is nessesary on the Mondeo, the breather does deposit oily mist into the boost pipes (between the airbox & turbo) which then coats the turbo hoses with a film of oil, this is not a major broblem,(compared to the EGR, for example) but over time the intercooler can get clogged up (the oily vapor/ mist can condense here) and the oil can react with the rubber in the boost hoses, softening them, the oil also mixes with the carbon/ soot from the EGR, producing a "gloop" in the inlet manifold

You could fit a catchtank to the breather, but cleaning out the intercooler, inlet manifold, EGR housing and fitting a solid blanking plate is probably sufficient

I fitted a Solid Flywheel/ SMF, i like the feel of it and it has been 100% reliable, others (mostly those that have not actually fitted one) do not share my enthusiasm for SMFs,

Solid flywheels were fitted to some Transits and Mondeos, i recommend you get one with a sprung plate to put the "give" back in the transmission

The mk3 has a small CAT, but no DPF (if you meant DPF, rather than DMF) :)

dont do it,be warned.... Ive fitted 4 so far,& they're all crap. STOP telling folk to fit SMF's . One day,you'll realise how much of a liability they are. Why must you insist on telling folk to fit these?? jesus!.Just because you've not had any problems dont be so naive to think that its good practice to fit a smf to a car designed with a smf

you have the same arguement about EGR's. the EGR in cars actually make the combustion process run cooler not hotter

Bought the car today, pick up Monday.

Injectors look to have very easy access on his variant engine.

It has a factory Sony unit with a "phone" button. Any ideas guys ? Does it have bluetooth by any chance ?...

WIll post pics later, next week, but it seems in great condition with just about every extra/feature available !!!

• Like 1

It has a factory Sony unit with a "phone" button. Any ideas guys ? Does it have bluetooth by any chance ?...

Yes, i think it does, you need to "pair" it with your phone it can do upto 10 devices but only 1 at a time, i think the bluetooth code is 0000 or 1111, (this is not the radios security code) its helpful if you have the manual for the head unit to do this

Once paired the music should mute when you get a call, and the phone sound comes through your car Speakers

if the Sony unit was retrofitted without the extra hardware the phone/ bluetooth functions may not fully work

The Sony head unit may have other things like voice activation etc, post up a picture of it so i can see which one it is

• Like 1

Yes, i think it does, you need to "pair" it with your phone it can do upto 10 devices but only 1 at a time, i think the bluetooth code is 0000 or 1111, (this is not the radios security code) its helpful if you have the manual for the head unit to do this

Once paired the music should mute when you get a call, and the phone sound comes through your car speakers

if the Sony unit was retrofitted without the extra hardware the phone/ bluetooth functions may not fully work

The Sony head unit may have other things like voice activation etc, post up a picture of it so i can see which one it is

Hi, I'll post a pic soon. I get the car tomorrow. I assume if the unit does have bluetooth, they'll be a microphone somewhere ?...

Many thanks...........ebt

Many thanks for that. I'll know in a few hours. Failing that, I use a Blaupunkt MP48 Hanover which has everything. Automute on an incoming call, keypad, voice dialling, etc.

Can you advise how easy it is to convert Mondeo set up to a single DIN slot ?

Regards............EBT

Many thanks for that. I'll know in a few hours. Failing that, I use a Blaupunkt MP48 Hanover which has everything. Automute on an incoming call, keypad, voice dialling, etc.

Can you advise how easy it is to convert Mondeo set up to a single DIN slot ?

Regards............EBT

Ive seen single - din adaptors online, check to see if the facelift / pre facelift are different (im sure someone is going to tell us) :)

yes single dins should fit without too much trouble. Ive just had a quck look and found this site that supplies the whole lot

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/ford-mondeo-mk3-car-stereo-fitting-kit-fascia-panel-fp0707-complete-kit-p-8549.html#.UXVhhEo6jKk

you may be able to get it cheaper elsewhere, that was the first site that a looked at.

If you want something fancy you could always go for one of the single dins that has a motorised screen so it pops out and looks like double din, the only thing is deciding which way it comes out, either up or down and then how to position it, it may cover the heater buttons or may be too low, thats all personal preference.

Ah just found this kit for a double din for facelifts if it is of any use

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/ford-mondeo-double-din-fitting-kit.html

Edited by stevegtuk

Many thanks. Here's the one in the car now. I only have the standard Ford audio manual covering things like the 3000, 6000cd etc, I don't think it covers the sony ?

Need to know if it has bluetoothe. IU've been into the menu anc activated the aux input (yet to find the lead) but saw no menu entries for bluetoothe pairing etc....

Sony-2_zpsddd8a340.jpg

Any ideas what model etc ?

Kind regards.......ebt

OK, think I'm gonna change it for my Blaupunkt with bluetooth, mic, dial pad etc, which is single din. I'll get a plate.

Do you know if the Sony conforms to the security unlock procedure of using buttons 1-4 to input the code and button 5 to confirm ?

Cheers.......ebt

Many thanks. I think my Blaupunkt MP48 (MP3 as well) is going in !

WIll post pics at weekend.

..........ebt

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club