Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lenny

No longer Available 

• Like 9

Hi Lenny, very good staged info on fitting the plate.

Not looking good on changing the Fiesta now as there may be work issues looming, never mind its a great car but lacking in low down grunt.

It stands to reason that any engine that re-breathes its own products of combustion cannot run very well.

Ok, when you fitted the plate did you not have to alter or have altered any electrics such as sensors -lambda, mapping etc.

What happens to the egr valve when you disconnect it , does it have to stay in place or did you remove it.

Will it pass the mot test with this done or do you have to temporarily replace fro the test?

I have the 95 bhp in my Fiesta, has yours got a variable vane turbo or is it the same as my set up but mapped different.

Lots of questions Lenny but I am sure you have researched all of this.

Cheers

Martin.

• Like 1

nice comprehensive guide Lenny - you are a legend!

• Like 1

Hi Lenny, thanks for the prompt reply.

I have followed your link to eBay and ordered a blanking plate.

Ok then, it looks as though I ought to revert to my initial purchase plan and make the Fiesta a keeper.

It makes perfect sense to stop the crud going back into the engine, valves etc as soon as possible, its now done 26,600 mls - bought with 8,500 last May.

I have been thinking of the option to re-map or fit a tuning box from TDi tuning.

Never done this before, our Volvo is standard but has plenty of go, previous Skoda Octavia was the same.

Of couse the same cannot be said for the Fiesta.

I have already suffered fuel in oil warning light (flushed and new oil).

So I will have to get it sorted asap.

What company did your re-map, have they places over here as it were.

Thanks

Martin.

• Like 1

Does it throw any fault codes at all on the Fiesta's?

• Like 1

Does it throw any fault codes at all on the Fiesta's?

As far as I'm aware it doesn't mate,

I've not had any warnings or errors on my 2010 1.6TDCi DV6 DPF focus,

The EGR still goes through the self test mode "series of clicks" after the engine has stopped.

So the ecu hasn't deteced anything is different,

I've done 297miles since fitting last Thursday evening.

Hi Lenny,

The fuel in oil light came on during an 'extra rapid' run own the M6 mostly in the fast lane-28mls approx. so I expect the engine was very hot, this appears contrary to what should happen with the dpf! when I think back the throttle was to the floor part of the journey, every one of the 5 days commute to work it gets a good blast up and back on the M6 almost 60 mls. -70-80 mph which probably means a true 65-75 is this not enough for a re-gen.

Angel tune have a re-map with 117bhp, and 54nm more torque which is the part which makes the difference in my mind.

They come to you for a cost of £275 inc vat.

This sounds reasonable for the increases mentioned along with promised better low down drivability.

They also offer dpf removal, has anyone you know had this done.

Cheers

Martin.

• Like 1

On Monday, April 22, 2013 at 6:58 AM, Bladerunner said:

Hi Lenny,

Angel tune have a re-map with 117bhp, and 54nm more torque which is the part which makes the difference in my mind.

They come to you for a cost of £275 inc vat.

This sounds reasonable for the increases mentioned along with promised better low down drivability.

They also offer dpf removal, has anyone you know had this done.

Cheers

Martin.

That is strange I would have assumed the miles your doing would clear the dpf,

The remap is great value and if you drive normaly after remap it will save you fuel because you don't need to push as hard to get speed up.more power than a 1.6 petrol focus and cheaper to run,

Regarding DPF removal

Image2317.jpg

I don't know anyone who has had DPF removal done but the guys who fitted my exhaust offerd to remove it and fit a straight pipe,

However on visual inspection this would fail an MOT as it would be clear the DPF was removed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

Great post,followed the step by step and blanked off the egr of my Focus TDCI LX 2006. I had the red light appearing and it was kicking into limp mode,so I thought I would try this as the cheapest fix.

The car drive great for the first 10 miles,before the yellow engine management light appeared and then it appeared to occasionally go a bit flat through the gears,then spring back into life.

I took to my local garage and they plugged it in it showed a code of P420F I believe,which I think means egr stuck closed? They cleared it,the car drove fine again (also it may be in my mind,but the car developed a sort of pinking or ticking noise before the fault was cleared) and then last night,the yellow light reappeared.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

John

• Like 1

Hi guys

Great post,followed the step by step and blanked off the egr of my Focus TDCI LX 2006. I had the red light appearing and it was kicking into limp mode,so I thought I would try this as the cheapest fix.

The car drive great for the first 10 miles,before the yellow engine management light appeared and then it appeared to occasionally go a bit flat through the gears,then spring back into life.

I took to my local garage and they plugged it in it showed a code of P420F I believe,which I think means egr stuck closed? They cleared it,the car drove fine again (also it may be in my mind,but the car developed a sort of pinking or ticking noise before the fault was cleared) and then last night,the yellow light reappeared.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

John

Hi John,

The pinking/ticking noise you hear is your EGR valve

On every diesel when you turn off the engine you will hear this series of clicks,

This is the EGR valve opening and closing performing self test mode,

Blanking your EGR in any case is positive,

Since its been in operation for so long you may like to use some EGR cleaner on the system too.

Also when you blank your EGR it can throw up the error from time to time,

The easiest and cheapest way to solve this is to purchase an ELM327 Diagnostic scanner

You can then view and clear the error yourself.

The ELM327 can also be modified to activate various features on your ford by following Preee's Guide:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/31287-guide-for-focus-mk2mk25-c-maxkuga-elm-327-cable-and-ff2-program/

Thanks Lenny

Should I take the egr off and clean it with a bit of carb cleaner then put back together?

Just to clarify,the ticking noise is when I am driving or is it just that the exhaust note is slightly louder and Diesel engine noises are more apparent ??

Thanks again

John

• Like 1

Thanks Lenny

Should I take the egr off and clean it with a bit of carb cleaner then put back together?

Just to clarify,the ticking noise is when I am driving or is it just that the exhaust note is slightly louder and Diesel engine noises are more apparent ??

Thanks again

John

Hi John,

The ticking I'm refering to; happens when the engine has just been turned off,

The egr valve will perform a series of clicks (self test mode) if you stop the car and don't hear these clicks,

That is the day your egr valve is stuck either open or closed,

But when blanked you never need to worry.

Regarding cleaning,

I've never cleaned the egr system before but I would clean the section leading inwards from the blanking plate,

As their is no reason to clean the section leading up to the blanking plate as it won't ever get in to your engine.

After fitting the blanking plate,

The engine is a bit louder due to increased pressiure because some exhaust fumes are no longer recirculating back in to combustion they are 100% expelled through the exhaust,

This helps spin your turbo faster at low RPM

Which reduices the lag,

I didn't experience any other additional ticking while driving excluding the standard diesel tone.

Hope this helps some what mate.

Hi Lenny, thanks for the prompt reply.

I have followed your link to ebay and ordered a blanking plate.

Martin.

Hi Martin,

Did you get your blanking plate fitted yet mate?

If yes, how do you feel

hello, i followed youre guide the other day and fitted one. well i say followed youre guide i tried to do it with out taking all the wipers off at first but i had to in the end because you just cant see.

much more even pull dont feel a masive dead spot at the lower revs well worth the low price.

good guide :)

• Like 1

hello, i followed youre guide the other day and fitted one. well i say followed youre guide i tried to do it with out taking all the wipers off at first but i had to in the end because you just cant see.

much more even pull dont feel a masive dead spot at the lower revs well worth the low price.

good guide :)

Hi Adil,

Thank you for taking the time to join the forum and I'm glad you found my guide helpfull,

Since joining the forum you will now be able to view my signature which contains links to all of my guides,

link: http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/68214-full-list-lennys-guides/

You may also like to browse the guides section of the forum for more great guides created by fellow members of the forum.

I too tried to fit the blanking plate using my partners makeup mirror and a torch instead of removing the panels,

But I dropped the mirror and had to remove the under tray to retrieve it before she noticed I had taken a loan of it lol.

Lenny i must say great work man i have read many of your stuff on this forum and it is great! the links in your signature are VERY useful, don't remove them ;- )

I got one question, as i think i will be doing this mod myself... further down the line though as i need to break in my stock ZS so i can FEEL the difference later on.

Anyways the question, after blanking the EGR where does the gasses that are suppose to go through the EGR actually end up going? wont this cause a blockage of gasses? is there some sort of dump or release valve?

I have never owned a diesel before and it is alot to take in, very different from a petrol

• Like 2

Lenny i must say great work man i have read many of your stuff on this forum and it is great! the links in your signature are VERY useful, don't remove them ;- )

I got one question, as i think i will be doing this mod myself... further down the line though as i need to break in my stock ZS so i can FEEL the difference later on.

Anyways the question, after blanking the EGR where does the gasses that are suppose to go through the EGR actually end up going? wont this cause a blockage of gasses? is there some sort of dump or release valve?

I have never owned a diesel before and it is alot to take in, very different from a petrol

Thanks very much Kurt, its always good to get peoples feedback on the guides, I enjoy creating them and helping others achieve their modifications.

Diesels are slightly different to petrol but much more rewarding when modified.

The EGR system is Exhaust Gas Recirculation,

It takes some of your exhaust waste and puts it back in to the combustion cycle.

This reduices the life of your engine, contaminates your oil and reduices the life of your turbo,

At all times the exhaust sends some gases to the EGR system.

Then on acceleration the EGR valve opens to allow this pass in to the induction for re-combustion.

By blanking the EGR inlet

The percentage of exhaust waste being sent to the EGR for recirculation will go out the exhaust instead of back through the system.

To best answer your question:

Pressure will build in the egr cooler but will blow back in to go down the exhaust manifold.

This higher pressure of gases blowing down the manifold spins the turbine faster at lower rpm reduicing turbo lag, and helps reduice carbon build up in the dreaded DPF!!

Meaning your car picks up speed quicker,

It also means your induction breaths in fresh air only,

Resulting in lower emissions as the ratio of fresh air to carbon neurons will be greater seperated by increased clean air induction.

• Like 1

Hi Lenny

Thanks again,but I don't have any clicking noise and the yellow engine management light was back on within 2 hours. The fault reading says egr frozen. So I am guessing that mine is beyond repair? I have priced them at euros and they are quoting £193 !!

Just to check that the egr is supposed to be plugged in?

I also notice that sometimes it can go a bit flat, through the gears, then will kick into life

I am starting to get a bit annoyed with this car after a week of ownership, but I am determined to get to the bottom of it

Thanks for your help and advice

John

• Like 1

Fitted a blanking plate today, the car feels much better, certainly picks up speed better from idle/coasting now its not breathing polluted air!

• Like 1

Still have not received my Blanking plate! RAWWRR. not cool. anyways, the dealer called me today about sending me an e-mail with recall information. still yet to get that so i shall leave the egr blanking untill i find out what needs to be done recall wise

• Like 1

Still have not received my Blanking plate! RAWWRR. not cool. anyways, the dealer called me today about sending me an e-mail with recall information. still yet to get that so i shall leave the egr blanking untill i find out what needs to be done recall wise

Just had mine serviced last Thursday, they never mentioned a recall on anything to me,

Keep us posted on that when you find out what it is the recall is on please.

I mentioned to the Ford mechanic prior to serviceing that I had the egr blanked encase it throws up an error andd he said "that's good it will run better as result, we don't make them, we just sell and service, egr is better blanked"

not the response I was expecting but good to know ford approve.

Great guide Lenny . Managed to fit mine with just the engine cover off although I wouldn't recommend doing it this way as its a leap of faith dropping the blanking plate in when you can't see it. Haven't noticed any increase in noise but the car definitely accelerates better . Well worth doing mate. Cheers.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club