Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lenny

Great guide Lenny . Managed to fit mine with just the engine cover off although I wouldn't recommend doing it this way as its a leap of faith dropping the blanking plate in when you can't see it. Haven't noticed any increase in noise but the car definitely accelerates better . Well worth doing mate. Cheers.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for feedback and glad you "feel the difference"

My K to the G (kpg) went up by 0.2more within a week after fitting.

Your next oil change will be better for your engine as it won't get as dirty next time around.

I wish I had your size hands mate,

Would have saved me removing the panels lol

Great feeling to have done it yourself though, really boosts confidence

And I agree; it would be a Gasping moment when you dropped the blanking plate down on the top bolt.

Hit or miss..

Miss and you would have had to remove the under tray to get it back.

• Like 1

Hi Nick,

Thanks for feedback and glad you "feel the difference"

My K to the G (kpg) went up by 0.2more within a week after fitting.

Your next oil change will be better for your engine as it won't get as dirty next time around.

I wish I had your size hands mate,

Would have saved me removing the panels lol

Great feeling to have done it yourself though, really boosts confidence

And I agree; it would be a Gasping moment when you dropped the blanking plate down on the top bolt.

Hit or miss..

Miss and you would have had to remove the under tray to get it back.

Cheer Lenny , noticed the difference straight away . Obviously not as strong as a remap but still enough of a difference to put a grin on my face and great to know that clean air is being sucked in.

Lol ...yeah It's been said before that I've got girly hands! Has its benefits though :)

• Like 1

Regarding the recall, they only wanted my details for future references so there is no recalls that i know of other than the rust issue, as my car is a 10 plate it comes with the anti scratch pad fitted.

Got my blanking plate now :D only need to find some time to fit it, might be getting a garage in the future woohoo

• Like 1

Regarding the recall, they only wanted my details for future references so there is no recalls that i know of other than the rust issue, as my car is a 10 plate it comes with the anti scratch pad fitted.

Got my blanking plate now :D only need to find some time to fit it, might be getting a garage in the future woohoo

thanks for updating on this,

I forgot to mention that if you would like to know weather your ford has an outstanding recall; you can log on to ford etis and enter your VIN to view your cars specific details aswell as any outstanding field service recalls to be done if any.

Ford fitted the anti chip decal to mine but put it in the wrong place lol 3mm to the right of where it rubs,

Image0463.jpg

Just checked Ford Etis, any my car is showing no recalls, though I have the rubbing in the boot - A Ford main dealer painted it last year, and didn't apply a sticker...

• Like 1

I can only echo the sentiments above Lenny, got my EGR plate coming through the post shortly. when I get a chance to do the job I will have to come back to it. Although one thing... The youtube video that you linked to is now private, so to recomplete your guide, if you are able to put an updated or new link in just to perfect it?

Did you use a wiper arm removal tool for yours?

• Like 1

How did you slide the plate in exactly as I was having a look and one side seems to foul on the block and the other fouls on the fuel filter.

It's hard to describe, but if I had to summarise the process in one word, MAGIC!

But seriously, I found the bolts had to be just holding on one thread, including the one holding the EGR cooler. From there, get the plate over the top bolt, then it will swing round and drop on the lower bolt with a little jiggle.

• Like 1

EGR blanking gone wrong, epic fail. Today has been a sad day for me, tried to blank off my EGR and failed terribly, the egr gasket fell off and i have taken off the under tray 3 times, driven the car to dislodge it and still nothing!, my socket also fell in and took me forever to get it out, saying that i only had 1 set of socket hence putting the car back together became a huge problem, on top of that i tried to use bluetac to get the gasket out, that fell off the screw driver and is forever gone!

After hours of panic i finally got the socket back and fitted the blanking plate, however this is without a gasket and now i am a bit worried about it leaking moisture into the engine!

It's been so terrible, being a vegetarian i came in and made myself a fat salad with endless amount of cheese, that went down well with a beer.

After the epic fail i retreated for advice from the wise men of FOC and the website was down!!! lol it has been a really crap day.

Can anyone tell me if this is the correct gasket i will need to replace the lost one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Ford-Focus-1-6-Gasket-Seal-Gaskets-Exhaust-Pipe-Header-/321092407190?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ac2994f96

BTW the gasket came out because i loosened the bolts too much, this was because visibility was terrible! i could not see anything the EGR is sitting much lower than expected, not sure how i will get the new gasket in but no doubt another stab is required!

I couldn't notice a big difference in performance, maybe that was just the rage inside of me blinding my spidey senses. No error messages or engine management lights so far.

Question: Do i need to replace the gasket? is it a wise idea to leave the blanking plate as a gasket since it completely seals off the intake into the engine?

EDIT: Tip to future EGR modders, Do not loosen the EGR bolts completely this will allow the gasket to fall out. If you do happen to drop anything, the undertray comes off with ease, only the larger section needs to be removed, not the small section under the front bumper. Infact if you loosen the undertray screws at the front that alone is enough to get anything that has fallen.

• Like 1

Sounds like a rough day, I have to say I am a bit dubious about fitting mine! how long did it take you in all?

As for the gasket, I cant say for definite if that is the right one I am afraid, but the shape doesnt look overly right? but then I am comparing the gasket to the shape of the blank plate.

as for replacing, I would definately look to replace the gasket ASAP as you say, its just an open wound to the engine at the moment!

• Like 1

I think the shape would be different slightly because the gasket has holes rather than notches, i ordered it none the less. TBH a complete noob can wrap this up in half hour. Better to remove as much things in the way as you can. stand on something to get a better view over the engine. my only mistake was totally loosening the bolts, that triggered everything that went wrong

• Like 1

Hey Lenny,

Questions me being me and working were I am :unsure: , by blanking your EGR vlave does this not increase the temperature in the hot end of the turbo as the gases are not being cooled? In theory this would be the reason for the increased boost as the gases are hotter going in. How's yours going Lenny mate? Another one just relating to the cotton air filter, have you changed your air filter from flat to cone shape or was it standard in yours?

Anyone else have any problems.

• Like 1

I have barely seen any increased with my EGR blanked, the turbo sudden burst seems slightly smoothed out and the lag has seem to disappeared a little on low revs but for me power increased seems minimal. My car only has 21k on the clock, the EGR was very clean to start with, plus it's had a service 1000 miles away recently.

I have notice a slight improvement in fuel consumption though, the instant and average mpg has gone up a bit very slightly for me, deffo think this down to the low mileage.

Another thing is that the gear change indicator seems a little slower or sluggish. My opinion on this is that the revs goes up faster than normal hence the car is a bit off with this information to process. for example, before when changing from 1st to second, the indicator would appear just before 2000rpm (1900 ish i would say) now it appear at when the revs have hit 2100rpm ish.

Stephan, although you are correct about the temperature increasing it isn't really a problem especially in britain, the engine managment light usually comes on when the temperature for the exhaust is too high, this is because once the temperature has exceeded a certain point it renders the cat/DPF chemical reaction useless and creates a coat inside of the cat/dpf that stops them from working. A good solution would be to drive with more ease and lower revs.

Personally i don't think you would experience this with british weather it isn't really warm enough most days for this to ever happen.

The rest about the increased power is incorrect though. Hotter gasses/air in the intake is bad and reduces power not increase. Cold air is more dense and allow better combustion, not only that, the turbo gasses go through the intercooler before it reaches the engine therefore cooling it anyways. The cooling cylinder on the EGR valve piping does the same thing as the intercooler for the turbo.

High revs and low speed is bad due to the lack of air to cool things down, blanked EGR or not, same result. High revs and high speed has increased air flow to cool things, EGR blanked or not, same result.

Since blanking the EGR increases temperature generally speaking, it's a good thing for diesel, this brings your engine up to operating temperature faster therefore reducing fuel consumption, the intercooler takes care of the rest so in theory, the temperature of the air going to the engine should be the same generally speaking, unless the weather is very warm where you may be driving at low speeds using higher revs, in this case there may be a slight increase in temperature. if this was to happen, the EGR shouldn't be flooding the engine with hot exhaust gasses anyways as it only opens when conditions are appropriate

/rant over

• Like 2

Hi Kurt,

Spot on in your comments mate I agree have to apologise for the error I made regarding the hotter gases its only afterwards I realised I got it wrong. But very informative reply mate hop this helps other people wanting to do it.

• Like 1

Hey Lenny,

Questions me being me and working were I am :unsure: , by blanking your EGR vlave does this not increase the temperature in the hot end of the turbo as the gases are not being cooled? In theory this would be the reason for the increased boost as the gases are hotter going in. How's yours going Lenny mate? Another one just relating to the cotton air filter, have you changed your air filter from flat to cone shape or was it standard in yours?

Anyone else have any problems.

Hi Stephen,

I don't think the exhaust gas will be hotter because when the egr is blanked

Then the car sucks in cool fresh air only.

Rather than a mix of hot burnt gas and fresh air.

From my understanding the turbo is spun by the spent gases escaping the manifold.

The egr is blanked,

So the exhaust flow of spent gases is now increased.

Thus turning the turbo faster at lower rpm

Reduicing lag.

I hope to upgrade to a GT hybrid early next year, along with a remap should see the 1.6TDCi reach around 144bhp ;)

That's around the same as a stock 2.0TDCi

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/171019098189?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

My air filter was cone shaped as standard mate,

I would like to upgrade to a K&N 57s system along with the induction pipe if the J1 performance kit built for the mk7 fiesta 1.6TDCi

• Like 1

I bought the blank the other day. Came within a couple of day which was good. I fitted it yesterday. Took me 30mins to fit. It's a great mod. Quicker spool on the turbo and more low down torque. Car doesn't want to hesitateeither which it sometimes did when pulling away. Boost also first come on as violently as it used to either. So now just waiting on the fuel economy to go up. I'm at 63mpg right now and that with a kn filter. So hopefully this blank will be mod. So far I'm happy with it so far so who knows :)

Great guide btw :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

i can't see any photo!?!?!? :wacko:

• Like 1

Its not because of the ford owners club site itself

Lenny is having a problem with his photos at the moment, hopefully he will sort it out soon

• Like 1

30 minutes to fit :| crikey that is very good... Did you follow the guide to the letter or do something different to get it done that quick? :|

• Like 1

Yep thirty mins to fit start to finish. I did folllow to the letter. I just didn't struggle with the blank as some people have been. Went straight in :) and so far I've got 1.5mpg so far and no smoke even when dpf is on regen cycle :)

• Like 1

I hope that I have as much success, the only time I can do it is on lunch hour...

Its not because of the ford owners club site itself

Lenny is having a problem with his photos at the moment, hopefully he will sort it out soon

Images should be back open now on all of my guides,

Sorry for any inconvenience caused during the loss of images best efforts have been made to prevent image loss again in the next 12 months as I have upgrade my image host provider account for unlimited bandwidth

Glad to see you got it sorted Lenny, its a shame they tried ripping you off!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's hard to describe, but if I had to summarise the process in one word, MAGIC!

But seriously, I found the bolts had to be just holding on one thread, including the one holding the EGR cooler. From there, get the plate over the top bolt, then it will swing round and drop on the lower bolt with a little jiggle.

I used magic this time and in less than 10 minutes the thing was in and they car back together. (Personally I didn't remove the wipers/panels as there is more than enough space).

• Like 1

Fitted mine the weeekend, I removed all the wipers and trims etc and was all back together with EGR blanked 20minutes later. A noticable different alright a great throttle response and picks up quicker wohooo :)

Lenny A++ for the guide mate

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club